Freedom is to Democracy....

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
.....what.......is to.....

Try to complete this quote,of course if you like freedom and democracy.

If you don't then don't.

but try to keep in mind the definitions FOLLOWING..


the state of being free or at liberty rather than in confinement or under physical restraint: He won his freedom after a retrial. 2. exemption from external control, interference, regulation, etc. 3. the power to determine action without restraint. 4. political or national independence. 5. personal liberty, as opposed to bondage or slavery: a slave who bought his freedom.
source(dictionary.reference.com...


Democracy U.S. president Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) defined democracy as: «Government of the people, by the people, for the people» Democracy is by far the most challenging form of government - both for politicians and for the people. The term democracy comes from the Greek language and means "rule by the (simple) people". The so-called "democracies" in classical antiquity (Athens and Rome) represent precursors of modern democracies. Like modern democracy, they were created as a reaction to a concentration and abuse of power by the rulers. Yet the theory of modern democracy was not formulated until the Age of Enlightment (17th/18th centuries), when philosophers defined the essential elements of democracy: separation of powers, basic civil rights / human rights, religious liberty and separation of church and state.
source(www.democracy-building.info...

And how they are related to each other.




posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
"Democracy" is not a political system, it's a descriptor for a wide variety of political systems that can work drastically different from one another. Freedom is to democracy as slavery is to rainbows - i.e. there's no real link imo. Especially given "freedom" means different things to different people.
edit on 10/2/12 by Yazman because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Yazman
 



"Democracy" is not a political system
Freedom and democracy define political systems as a base for what they are now,so yes they are...



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Yazman
 



Especially given "freedom" means different things to different people
I ask about Freedom reported to Democracy and all that comes from it.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Freedom is to democracy, as liberty is to cartoons on Sunday.

We can all watch them but so what?
Freedom is to democracy, as entitlements are to prosperity.

What happens to a people when the tax consuming minority finds out they can vote entitlements to themselves. Ask Greece. You ELIMINATE the tax producing minority from the will to produce. Look at what they did to the Native Indians and the black communities. It is designed to fail the people and empower an appressive government.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2
 



Look at what they did to the Native Indians and the black communities.
So,what should I understand,there is no freedom?But there is democracy?I thought that society has evolved in hundred of years.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I am not sure they can coexist.
The majority is always voting away rights of minorities. Until the law steps in.
Whites,blacks.
Christians, non Christians.
Straight, gay.

when 51 percent of the people can opress the rights and needs of the other 49%. it doesn't seem so fair to me. And has lead to the deep divide in our country today.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72
 



I am not sure they can coexist.
I don't think democracy is possible without freedom,and freedom of speech is the first thing that democracy bring,to return a little to the basis.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72
 



when 51 percent of the people can opress the rights and needs of the other 49%. it doesn't seem so fair to me. And has lead to the deep divide in our country today.
This could be a passing situation,I am sure that things will improve in the future.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Yazman
 



Freedom is to democracy as slavery is to rainbows
I don't understand this quote,freedom is freedom and slavery is slavery,I didn't see any slavery in a democratic country.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I will give it a try,

Freedom is to Democracy what Thoughts are to Mind.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith
 


I agree with you, as to the ideal idea of both freedom and democracy. But when I see the country around me fallen apart, I think to myself...how did we get here?



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72
 



But when I see the country around me fallen apart, I think to myself...how did we get here?
For the leaders are confused and trying to find regional solutions to global problems.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Freedom is to democracy, as bars are to a cell.

You can't have democracy and freedom. You must give up one or the other in that system. Liberty requires freedom to do whatever you want. Libertarianist society is the answer.

~Tenth



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower
 



You can't have democracy and freedom
Then what is communism,in communism is no freedom and people are oppressed,as in socialism freedom is limited in some western countries.



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Here is a video I made for youtube that explains why our "democracy" threatens our "freedom"




edit on 10-2-2012 by BaZooKaJ because: Hope the vid works now



posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BaZooKaJ
 



"democracy" threatens our "freedom"
Thank you for the vid,as I try to understand we are talking more about globalization as we think that Democracy could threaten Freedom.



posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith
 


I don't like the concept of large-scale (meaning outside a local community and to some extent the State level) Democracy. It is a dangerous and easily corruptible governing policy.

So to finish the quote: Freedom is to Democracy as Soda is to a Diet -- Democracy, in large scale societies that do not have a homogeneous culture or beliefs is just a veneer. Just like slapping diet in front of a soda is.
edit on 11-2-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy
 



Democracy, in large scale societies that do not have a homogeneous culture or beliefs is just a veneer
I wonder what are those countries,or societies and even if we know who they are we cannot change a thing.



posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith
 


IMHO, people don't care what kind of Government they live under, so long as the cost of living is cheap. When the oil prices rise, people are going to start screaming for a dictator to fix it. And if he can't fix it, they'll toss him out and break into smaller groups to deal with the problem themselves.





new topics
top topics
 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join