It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greek largest police union wants to arrest EU/IMF officials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Well maybe the Greek are FINALLY saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...

Greece promises reforms, Germany complains

The mood in Athens is getting irritated: The police union threatened troika inspectors now with arrest.

The crisis demands more curious still come to: The Executive Board of the police union in the country (POESY) threatened to arrest the inspectors from the EU, IMF and ECB. According to the union, the troika trying to overturn the harsh austerity measures, the democratic order.

Indeed. The Troika wants Greece to change their constitution to pay the debt to the banksters first before anything else. They want the Greek people to become their slaves.

They also try to violate the "national sovereignty" and to steal from the Greek people essential goods.

Yep.

"We warn you that we will demand the immediate issuance of arrest warrants," it said on Friday including a written statement which was sent to the Troika representatives. Friday was also a leaflet distributed at the "Wanted" (search) and was presented for the arrest of "Troikaner" one euro as a reward in prospect.

(the translation is so-so since it's from Google Translate, but you get the main points)

Hell yeah. They should arrest the Greek political class too if they sell out the country.

Now from Reuters :
Greek police union wants to arrest EU/IMF officials

Greece's largest police union has threatened to issue arrest warrants for officials from the country's European Union and International Monetary Fund lenders for demanding deeply unpopular austerity measures.

In a letter obtained by Reuters on Friday, the Federation of Greek Police accused the officials of "...blackmail, covertly abolishing or eroding democracy and national sovereignty" and said one target of its warrants would be the IMF's top official for Greece, Poul Thomsen.

+1

"Since you are continuing this destructive policy, we warn you that you cannot make us fight against our brothers. We refuse to stand against our parents, our brothers, our children or any citizen who protests and demands a change of policy," said the union, which represents more than two-thirds of Greek policemen.

Gee the Greek police have understood... Time for cops around the world to understand.... US cops beating up Occupy protesters... cops in China beating up reform protesters... etc...

Seems to me the Greek police are the first ones in history to revolt against their own government.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Money rules the world and Greece need money right now,I think the will rather sacrifice people in order to save the rich then saving democracy.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Revolution to what?

Change the government but things won't change. They owe serious money. Default and lose future investment (or if getting investment, at highly unfavourable rates).

Or carry on and suffer the same.

Revolution usually means a significant change within a country but even if this happens in Greece, it won't actually change anything. The money will still be owed, they will still have no money to pay wages, pensions, benefits, etc.

There is no magic cure for the nation, only years of suffering. They should accept it but at highly reduced repayments, so at least the economy has a chance to grow instead of the situation at present where they are suffering terribly and getting worse off every day.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Revolution usually means a significant change within a country but even if this happens in Greece, it won't actually change anything. The money will still be owed, they will still have no money to pay wages, pensions, benefits, etc.

Wrong.

They could make a revolution and default since their own government is too corrupt to do so. Tell the banksters to eat their losses.

Pull an Iceland. It works.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

This is really horrid IMO-The Greek government agreed to do what the IMF/EU said-then the IMF said "sorry thats not enough-we need an extra 120million euros before next week if you want the bailout."

It would not surprise me if this was all by design-TPTB would like nothing more than to see democracy fail in the very land it was invented.
They love symbolism.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

No, it really wouldn't in the case of Greece. The debts are far higher than anything Iceland owed - almost in a different universe.

Simply defaulting will result in exactly the same hardships, possibly worse. The only plus side is they may come out of serious financial crisis upto 5 years earlier - but recovery with this option would still be a minimum of 10-15 years.

Which is really the point i was making. Greece is simply too far gone. If they default, they will not get bailouts or investment. They run out cash mid Feb to pay government wages, benefits, pensions, etc. If they default on such huge amounts, do you think financial institutions would be falling over themselves to offer cash?

The repercussions would be immense. Any future investments / loans would be at ridiculously high interest rates, meaning they couldn't afford to borrow even if they wanted to.

On top of that, the Euro area is in meltdown anyway, so they wouldn't be able to grow their way out of the mess they are in as no one would be buying their exports.

Greece is screwed i am sorry to say. Revolution, or whatever, won't make the slightest difference (apart from making some people feel better for a while until they realise it hasn't made a difference).

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Good on the greeks,give the bankers nothing,the system is coming apart at the seams and not before time
Time to hang a few leaders IMHO

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm torn on this. In one sense I want them to stick it to the banksters and Euro rule but there again they HAVE been living the life of Riley at Europes expense. Plus apparently they falsified the balance sheet to get into the EU - though I can't believe this wasn't known at the time. Could it be that Greece was a domino set up to fall?
edit on 10-2-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

You can't grow yourself out of debt by more debt.

Plain and simple.

Default. Let the banks fail. Start anew with new banks. Been done before, can be done again.

Cut spending by the deficit and then some to have a surplus.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Plus apparently they falsified the balance sheet to get into the EU - though I can't believe this wasn't known at the time.

Goldman Sachs helped them do that. And this is just another example of the corrupt Greek government. No better than all of our governments here.

Could it be that Greece was a domino set up to fall?

Yes. For bigger control over countries by the EU. The elite wants a EU superstate.

Plan :
- Put countries in big debt
- Give them money on the condition that they give control of their economy to the EU
- EU becomes a superstate.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

You are totally missing the point in regards to Greece. An Iceland type scenario simply isn't an option for them, it is way too far down the line.

They grow their economy by increasing exports, moving more manufacturing based rather than government employee based. However, as Europe is in such a mess (and Europe would be their market), growing the economy is a long way off.

They have to raise more cash by mid February simply to pay workers this month. Shirking off the banks will not achieve this.

Greece is actually a bit of a special case in that a lot of the problems are self inflicted. Does this make it easier for the Greeks? No, of course it doesn't. Greece is actually caught between a rock and hard place - whatever they choose, they are screwed for the foreseeable future.

The reality is that they need more financial injections simply to carry on as a functioning nation. A popular revolution, installing new leaders and ideas will make absolutely no difference to the reality of the situation they face - a few months down the line people would realise this and be back to square one.

The simple fact is they have been living way beyond their means for decades and are now having to pay for it. You cannot have an effective economy where more than 50% of the population are employed by the state without storing up huge problems down the line, as Greece is now discovering to its' cost.

The global repercussions from a Greek default would guarantee financial institutions would not touch Greece with a barge pole for years without huge guarantees and ridiculous interest rates, and even these would take time before they started trickling in again.

Unless there is a concerted global action about financial reform nothing will change - that is the system in place and until something replaces it, that is the system Greece will have to deal with. Whether it is fair or nor is actually totally redundant until it is replaced.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

They grow their economy by increasing exports, moving more manufacturing based rather than government employee based.

And you do that by defaulting on the debt, going back to the drachma (which will be weak)... jobs will come since labor will be cheap... it'll be like a third world country... with ridiculous wages. Like in China people are working 12-18 hres a day for like $300/month or something. Of course they won't get paid that low... The new in will be outsourcing jobs to Greece.

They have to raise more cash by mid February simply to pay workers this month. Shirking off the banks will not achieve this.

Well they have a meeting on February 27 so I don't think it's accurate. They need the money for March 20 or they default.

Greece is actually caught between a rock and hard place - whatever they choose, they are screwed for the foreseeable future.

Of course they are. They gonna a depression for sure.

The reality is that they need more financial injections simply to carry on as a functioning nation.

No they don't. Cut spending. Fire employees. Doesn't matter what it costs, what riots are created... it must be done.

A popular revolution, installing new leaders and ideas will make absolutely no difference to the reality of the situation they face - a few months down the line people would realise this and be back to square one.

That's mathematics. Indeed.

You cannot have an effective economy where more than 50% of the population are employed by the state without storing up huge problems down the line, as Greece is now discovering to its' cost.

240 million Americans are working age. 140 million work. 46 million receive food stamps.

The global repercussions from a Greek default would guarantee financial institutions would not touch Greece with a barge pole for years without huge guarantees and ridiculous interest rates, and even these would take time before they started trickling in again.

And? Greece doesn't need them. They can have their own.

Unless there is a concerted global action about financial reform nothing will change - that is the system in place and until something replaces it, that is the system Greece will have to deal with.

What they want is a big almighty world bank that controls everyone's economy.

If want a sound economic system, we should have hard money, national banks NATIONALIZED, derivatives made illegal, white collar crimes laws ENFORCED, something like Glass-Steagall put in place everywhere and no bailouts to anyone.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
I'm torn on this. In one sense I want them to stick it to the banksters and Euro rule but there again they HAVE been living the life of Riley at Europes expense. Plus apparently they falsified the balance sheet to get into the EU - though I can't believe this wasn't known at the time. Could it be that Greece was a domino set up to fall?
edit on 10-2-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

I'm similar to you in this respect, the have been sucking at the t*t of europe for ages with no thought on how to pay back and yes it would appear that the Euro club changed the rules to let them in (France and Germany to blame for that), but to ask them to cut more after they've achieved what was originally asked sucks big time. But the party had to finish at some point and now people will be suffering. i've just spent 2 years of austerity getting myself back to where i was before the poo hit the fan, hey i borrowed the money when the times were good and still had to pay it back when the times were bad , but then i didn't get anywhere near as much in debt as they have as a country.

They will be better off defaulting and going back the the Drachma, at least it will give them a chance to eventually get out of debt and not be some whipping boy for the cartels

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FFS4000

I'm similar to you in this respect, the have been sucking at the t*t of europe for ages with no thought on how to pay back

Guess what, the Greek average work week is 42h... the longest in Europe and higher than America (35h)... so keep trying to say that Greece are ``sucking at the tit``...

Same thing in the US... sucking from China and Japan... and Japan... sucking from their own citizens.

Their day will come too... and it's gonna be even worse because their economy is MUCH bigger.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I actually agree with you that it is hard on the Greeks and rather unfair on your average Greek. What i have been attempting to demonstrate is that fair or unfair makes no difference. The reality is this the situation.

You say they do not need financial institutions and they could reinstate the Drachma. All good in theory but in practice / reality, it is not Greece that determines the value of the Drachma. The value is set by what people think it is worth. Greece could say 1 drachma is worth 2 euros. Europe could say, no chance, 1 drachma is worth 0.005 euros. If the markets agree with Europe, that is what the drachma would be worth.

A new system is needed but the reality is they have to deal with the system in place and owing to choices over the last several decades, the system in place says they are screwed.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Greece can't just "pull an Iceland"... they will hit rock bottom much harder than Iceland did.
The thing is, at this point, they will hit rock bottom next month anyways, so they might aswell just end the drama now.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

DENY IGNORANCE

Workers in South Korea have the longest and fastest declining work hours among OECD members.[9] The working hours have steadily fallen every year since the 21st century began, declining from 2,512 hours in 2000 to 2,193 hours in 2010.[9] The amount of working hours falling every year has also increased significantly, accelerating the decline. Between 2000 and 2001, only 13 hours declined, leading to a 1.6% decline. However, between 2007 and 2008, a quadrupled 60 hours declined, leading to a 6.8% decline. At this speed, the next longest working country, Greece is likely going to overtake South Korea soon as its 2,109 working hours in 2010 fell only by 10 hours from 2009.,

en.wikipedia.org...

Greece’s public sector employment is 8% of the population and 18% of the active labour force. In the United States, public employment accounts for 7% of the total population and 15% of the labour force.

www.philip-atticus.com...

Greeks being lazy and living some extravagant lifestyle is propaganda that your government is telling you to sway your support away from the Greek people. Thought this site was about wading through the lies of TPTB. I have heard a lot of people on this site assume Greeks have been living beyond their means, and making comments that would let people assume all Greeks do all day is lay around on the beach and so on, last place i would of thought I would see these types of ignorant opinions is this website.

People are going to read your stereotyping rubbish and continue to spew it out further. Hope next time you will do some research.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Vaski because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Problem with Greece is its a economy based on services which is driven by Tourism, When the Euro came in tourism dropped, as it didn't become as affordable to visit anymore. No longer was Greece cheaper to holiday in, than France, Germany, Italy so Tourism took a hit. People either visited other countries or moved on to non EU countries for the holiday destination such as Turkey.

So what happens when the economy drops? well people borrow to get them through or make improvements to try and bring back business. Who do they borrow from, German and French banks.

Look at the State/Province were you live, there is a rich are and a poor area, it has to be like this, if everyone was rich then who would be the servants and production workers for the Rich? In your State/Province the rich and poor are divided by Suburbs.

Europe is now one big State/Province, and Greece has been allocated to become the poor suburb so Germany and France build their countries with wealth from their Greek slaves.

on another note..

well isn't it all making sense now?
edit on 10-2-2012 by Vaski because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
All talk and no action is the problem. Stop talking about it and arrest them......yeah not going to happen. All hot air.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Greece can feed itself until they get back on their feet. They currently produce enough to take care of 98% of their food needs. A bit more will not be an issue. I don't think there is much of a chance of the Greek people accepting these measures even if their governmental officials do. They will simply remove them and void the agreements. Then one by one the rest of the worlds nations states will have their people rise up and demand the same. If you can outlast the pain, we will have a much better world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join