It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Either re-enlist or get shipped to Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

9News.com
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - Soldiers from a combat unit at Fort Carson say they have been told to re-enlist for three more years or be transferred to other units expected to deploy to Iraq, the Rocky Mountain News reported Thursday.

Hundreds of soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team were presented with that message and a re-enlistment form in a series of assemblies last week, two soldiers who spoke on condition of anonymity told the newspaper.

"They said if you refuse to re-enlist with the 3rd Brigade, we'll send you down to the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, which is going to Iraq for a year, and you can stay with them, or we'll send you to Korea, or to Fort Riley (in Kansas) where they're going to Iraq," said one of the soldiers, a sergeant.

The second soldier, an enlisted man, echoed that view: "They told us if we don't re-enlist, then we'd have to be reassigned. And where we're most needed is in units that are going back to Iraq in the next couple of months. So if you think you're getting out, you're not."

I've heard people on the debate shows talking about how high the re-enlistment rate is.
Well, if there are so many people signing up voluntarily, why resort to dirty tactics such as this?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ah the home of the free!

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I've heard people on the debate shows talking about how high the re-enlistment rate is.
Well, if there are so many people signing up voluntarily, why resort to dirty tactics such as this?

Perhaps they are in the same boat as these poor souls or perhaps you are told there are many re-enlisters in order to raise patriatism confidence to get more first time enlisters to join. Who can say.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That's a downside that all know going in....

If the military is engaged in combat operations, you may not get out when your time is up. It's still a choice of one year versus two years.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
When you're in the military, they own you lock, stock, and barrel. You serve for the good of the nation. That's why they call it service. I don't know the reason for this announcement, but the unit has to maintain its Table of Organization strength and those who are getting short might find themselves shipped out to units that can use them better. Giving them a heads up on the situation seems fair to me, even if some might feel that they are being strong-armed into re-enlisting. No one can make anyone re-enlist, but they can extend your enlistment, for the good of the service.

Does anyone here believe in service to one's nation, at all. Does the good of the nation ever transcend the good of the inidividual?

[edit on 04/9/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
... they are being strong-armed into re-enlisting. No one can make anyone re-enlist ...
Yeah right Grady.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpottDoes anyone here believe in service to one's nation, at all. Does the good of the nation ever transcend the good of the inidividual?[edit on 04/9/16 by GradyPhilpott]

Not when that service is 'extended' because a certain AWOL "politics it too important" wannabee Lieutenant in the National Guard is afraid to start a DRAFT, because his incompetent planning and amateurish conduct in starting his little vendetta to begin with.

"That Saddam tried to kill my Daddy! I'm gonna get him no matter how many Americans die!" -GBush or words to that effect in a public speech his first year in office.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson

Not when that service is 'extended' because a certain AWOL "politics it too important" wannabee Lieutenant in the National Guard is afraid to start a DRAFT, because his incompetent planning and amateurish conduct in starting his little vendetta to begin with.

Amen and halleluia.

I tried to join the Marines right after High School. The day after the Crucible (the final test of Marine Corps Boot Camp), I had a strange pain in my right hip, and my leg wasn't responding properly. I went down the the Navy Hospital and a Corpsman tested my legs, and found I had acute bursitis. I was sent home the next week. This was 1998.

Whenever I hear the listings of the names of the dead soldiers, my stomach turns. I'm only 24 years old, and the vast majority of these kids are younger than I am. And they're dead. All I can ask myself is why, and sadly the only legitimate reason I have come across is the Carlyle-Group link. It makes me sick.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Its still a free country,

I served During DS1, same with others in my family. They can take those strong arm tactics and go dig sand. Thats as bad as one guy in basic being told he would be in the Army Rodeo.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson

You're one of the reasons, I don't give a hoot what happens to this country when I'm gone. Most of the people who inhabit this country and benefit from it's bounty aren't worthy to inhabit the moon--John Kerry foremost among them.

"That Saddam tried to kill my Daddy! I'm gonna get him no matter how many Americans die!" -GBush or words to that effect in a public speech his first year in office.

Why don't you provide us a link to this "quote."

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Why don't you pick whatever it is out of your ears and eyes, Grady?

Don't you realize that these people have BEEN in Iraq, and want to go HOME to their FAMILIES?

They are being THREATENED by the government that they "serve" to go out there and get shot at, or they don't get to go home.

Don't you understand that that goes against the entire idea of voluntary enlistment?

Bottom line is, being threatened by someone that you serve voluntarily comes very close to biting the hand that feeds you.

Remember, the government was founded with the ideals of doing what the people told it to, not vice versa. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
Why don't you pick whatever it is out of your ears and eyes, Grady?

Why don't you read the whole article.

An unidentified Fort Carson spokesman said Wednesday that 3rd Brigade recruitment officers denied threatening the soldiers with more duty in Iraq.

"I can only tell you what the retention officers told us: The soldiers were not being told they will go to Iraq, but they may go to Iraq," said the spokesman, who confirmed the re-enlistment drive is under way.

One of the soldiers provided the form to the News. If signed, it would bind the soldier to the 3rd Brigade until Dec. 31, 2007.

An Army spokesman, Lt. Col. Gerard Healy, said sending soldiers to Iraq with less than one year of their enlistment remaining "would not be taken lightly."

"There's probably a lot of places on post where they could put those folks (who don't re-enlist) until their time expires," he said. "But I don't want to rule out the possibility that they could go to a unit that might deploy."

Extending a soldier's active duty is within Army authority, since the enlistment contract carries an eight-year obligation, even if a soldier signs up for shorter terms. Members of Iraq-bound units can be retained for an entire year in Iraq, even if their active-duty enlistment expires.

"I don't want to go back to Iraq," the sergeant told the News. "I went through a lot of things for the Army that weren't necessary and were risky. Iraq has changed a lot of people."

The enlisted soldier said the recruiters' message left him "filled with dread."

"For me, it wasn't about going back to Iraq. It's just the fact that I'm ready to get out of the Army," he said.

This is life in the military. It ain't college. You sign up and you do what you are told for the term of your enlistment. Everyone who has ever served, served under the same conditions.

I say, "Quit whining and get with the program!"

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

An unidentified Fort Carson spokesman said Wednesday that 3rd Brigade recruitment officers denied threatening the soldiers with more duty in Iraq.

Oh, an enlistment officer who lies? The devil you say.

Look, if you're willing to take the word of an enlistment officer during an enlistment drive I've got some nice property down Florida way I'd like you to buy off me. It's real nice.

"I can only tell you what the retention officers told us: The soldiers were not being told they will go to Iraq, but they may go to Iraq," said the spokesman, who confirmed the re-enlistment drive is under way.

So, let's get one thing straight right here. The word 'may' is a very misleading word, especially when government officials use it. When 'may' is used in a situation where it would better someone else, read it as 'won't'. When it's used in a situation where it would give the government something for free, read it as 'will' (works just like capitalism, EVERYTIME.)

"I don't want to go back to Iraq," the sergeant told the News. "I went through a lot of things for the Army that weren't necessary and were risky. Iraq has changed a lot of people."

The enlisted soldier said the recruiters' message left him "filled with dread."

"For me, it wasn't about going back to Iraq. It's just the fact that I'm ready to get out of the Army," he said.

Can't you see that this man just wants to get back to his family? He's invested alot of time with the Army, and just wants his life back. If service is such a big deal to you, why can't this guy, who has served, have his life back? These are humans first, and soldiers second. People need to realize that. Not just us, but people who are sending them to die.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Can't you see that this man just wants to get back to his family? He's invested alot of time with the Army, and just wants his life back. If service is such a big deal to you, why can't this guy, who has served, have his life back? These are humans first, and soldiers second. People need to realize that. Not just us, but people who are sending them to die.

You're breaking my heart. He can have his life back when his enlistment is over. I know about the military. What do you know?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I know that if I were to post what I really want to post here, I'd get a warning.

You have no real concern for a human's feelings do you?

His ENLISTMENT is up. He can still be called back, as the agreement says, within 8 years of original enlistment.

HOWEVER!

forcing him ro RE-ENLIST by threatening him with transfer to an Iraq-bound unit seems a bit much.

Just let the man go home. He served his country.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You have no real concern for a human's feelings do you?

His ENLISTMENT is up. He can still be called back, as the agreement says, within 8 years of original enlistment.

The military has always given incentives to re-enlist. This is no different. The man's enlistment is not up. If he does not re-enlist with the stipulation that he will remain with this unit which will not deploy, he might be transferred to a unit that might deploy.

The Army said that it would be doubtful that a soldier with less than a year left on his enlistment would be sent to Iraq. If for no other reason, logistics and finances make his deployment unlikely. If things get really bad and they want to send him, they will extend his enlistment.

This is a tempest in a teapot. These soldiers are facing circumstances that are no different than those faced by servicemen from all eras.

You should not assess those of whom you know nothing.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

9News.com
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - Soldiers from a combat unit at Fort Carson say they have been told to re-enlist for three more years or be transferred to other units expected to deploy to Iraq, the Rocky Mountain News reported Thursday.

Hundreds of soldiers from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team were presented with that message and a re-enlistment form in a series of assemblies last week, two soldiers who spoke on condition of anonymity told the newspaper.

"They said if you refuse to re-enlist with the 3rd Brigade, we'll send you down to the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, which is going to Iraq for a year, and you can stay with them, or we'll send you to Korea, or to Fort Riley (in Kansas) where they're going to Iraq," said one of the soldiers, a sergeant.

The second soldier, an enlisted man, echoed that view: "They told us if we don't re-enlist, then we'd have to be reassigned. And where we're most needed is in units that are going back to Iraq in the next couple of months. So if you think you're getting out, you're not."

i cant speak for the entire navy even, but i know that the re-enlistment rate on my ship was at a whoooping 15%.....

new topics

top topics

join