It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A quick question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
When traveling in outer space, which way is north?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

To find north in outer space, you would need to use a Gyro-compass, which always points north. It will point north in outer space, just like it will always point north anywhere.

source: ChaCha
edit on 10-2-2012 by Newz2387 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

There is no north in space, to the best of my limited knowledge using vectors is the method of traveling.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
OK. So which one of you is correct?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I would go with the other guy
like I said my knowledge is very limited at best when it comes to space. I can imagine you can say a direction is north if you use the top of the earth as a reference, however the earth is on a wobble, and in all reality what good is north but to earthly space travelers? Another race or species may use their planet as a reference aswell and their north may be different on their planet. A vector IMO would be a more logical route. And in space you use 3 intersecting lines to pin point a locaton and set a vector or heading if you will to reach that location.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
May I ask where this question came from?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Also I could be wrong but a compass Is used with gravity on earth and not sure if it would work in zero gravity. It also. Uses the earths magnetic poles to point north so with out them it may become usless.... unless the Gyro compass's was created to work in space.... he did post a link to the source I would check it out to be sure.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by punisher2012
May I ask where this question came from?

I was watching alot of Battlestar Galactica.. lol.. and just started thinking about space travel.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

hmmm... well (this isnt fact, just my wisdom on the subject) there is no such thing as north, south, east, or west. we just use these directions, relative to where we are on earth. Just as there is no such thing as left or right, up or down, right or wrong, or any other descriptions really, we just use all these in terms to describe who or where we are, relative to others or objects around us. And if you were to go to space, that is where you would really realize this, so it isnt the question of where is north in space, but more like why is there north on earth, or why is there the idea of north on eath. hope this helps bud
edit on 10-2-2012 by allareone because: it quoted what i wrote

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

UP

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

UP

how do we know we are not upsidedown already?

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Probably up.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Cardinal points are exclusive to planets, since they are defined in relation to their poles, surface and rotation around the sun, however I will suggest the following:

Find your nearest planet or heavenly body, locate the closest sun, wait for the sun to "rise" above the horizon, that would be your east. Look to your left, that would be your north.
edit on 11-2-2012 by lupodigubbio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join