It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Says US Attack Would Be ‘Akin To Suicide’

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by targeting
You're crazy if you think that America would have lost the war if we didn't pull our troops out. The Vietnam war was an incredible success militarily speaking. The viet congs didn't even win a single major battle.

Denial isnt just a river in Eqypt, ya'know.

As much as i generally support the USA over regimes like Iran and the viet cong, your hopelessly deluded if you think you "won" that war.

Your army is designed to fight total wars, not guerilla. Leave that up to your special forces. "The vietnam war was an incredible success militarily speaking". I almost blew milk out of my nose laughing when i read that.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch

The Russian news agency Ria Novosti reported on Wednesday that Mahmoudreza Sajjadi said: “In a situation where the United States is caught up in the Afghanistan quagmire, its hands are stained with the blood of Libyan people and in dealing with a national economic crisis, an attack on Iran is akin to suicide.”

www.eurasiareview.com...

It seems as though America is between a rock and a hard place. The national economic crisis has no end in sight. I agree that attacking Iran or Syria would be a suicide. But being a bully is America's way. Bullying smaller countries is how America maintains its Imperial Empire. Seems like countries are less scared of America by day. Most of the time a bully is a coward. The world can now see America for the coward its always been.

Since America is no longer feared I cant see any way forward for America. America is a coward but it is also deluded. I think they will continue to push Iran,Syria,Russia and China. I think the bully will be humiliated for all to see very soon.

So Americans are cowards?

Do you know how retarded that statement is? Why dont YOU move to Iran?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

No he is right in every conventional means the U.S. had Vietnam won. But in every way that ultimately matters the North Vietnamese won. They couldn't beat the military might of the U.S. and they knew it, they fought a war of attrition to turn the American public opinion against the war. A similar strategy was employed by Iraqi and Afghan resistance groups, they unlike the N. Vietnamese did not enjoy support from a larger State hostile to the U.S.. Korea was and continues to be a draw neither side has surrendered and both the North and South are still at war.

As far as Iran goes they are right, for us it would be economic suicide to go to war with Iran. The American public do not believe enough in a war with Iran to do what must be done to pay for military spending during a war and we cannot just simply absorb the cost of it this time without destroying the economy. First to go to war with Iran we would have to have a draft, raise taxes and more than likely endure shortages of certain goods. Odds are Iran would quickly turn into a war of attrition because the Iranian people would not trust the U.S. We would be viewed as little more than an invading army at this point.

But the truly funny thing is the posters in here crying that the other side won't fight fair. That they hide in caves and mountains. The funny part about it once upon a time the British were saying the exact same thing about the American forces on land and at sea.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The U.S. won't be initiating any conflict with Iran any time soon. The only way this war gets kicked off is if Israel decides to strike Iran. Iran would have to retaliate. After the retaliation Israel drops a nuke on Iran and THATS when you see Russia/China/America intervening. How this war chatter has turned into a USA vs China conversation is beyond me.

And if Iran did strike an American target in response to an Israeli strike, it would be the stupidest thing that regime could ever do.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

So in your mind 58,000(US casualties) is greater than 1,100,000 (cong casualties)? I thought Canada had a better educational system than their "dumb cousin" to the south? But who really won the war? combat zone photographers, '___', '___' and THC won the war. Without drugs and horrid pictures of war the American people would have kept on supporting it.
edit on 10-2-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: epity tooth bucket

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
No he is right in every conventional means the U.S. had Vietnam won.

Im sorry, when did the USA push to, and take over Hanoi? Without the defeat and capitulation of the enemy, you did not "win".

But in every way that ultimately matters the North Vietnamese won. They couldn't beat the military might of the U.S. and they knew it, they fought a war of attrition to turn the American public opinion against the war.

I agree completely here, im not saying the Vietnamese won, but i certaining am saying the US did not win. A stalemate would be more like it. I do realize if America was allowed to unleash her full might on the North without caring about civilian backlash, they would have won hands down, but that is the problem with democracies at war, isnt it? Public opinion can be a b*&ch sometimes.

I stand by my assertation that the US army is designed to fight total wars, not guerilla warfare. I think Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan have show that quite readily. When allowed to go all out, as in the start of both gulf wars, facing off against conventional armies, the USA annhilalated the enemy. The guerilla warfare that ensued after was another matter entirely.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf

So in your mind 58,000(US casualties) is greater than 1,100,000 (cong casualties)? I thought Canada had a better educational system than their "dumb cousin" to the south? But who really won the war? combat zone photographers, '___', '___' and THC won the war. Without drugs and horrid pictures of war the American people would have kept on supporting it

Wow, hostile much? Yes, our education system is woefully inept and i am truely stupid.

Did i ever say the North won in Vietnam? I simply said the USA didnt win. Learn to read and process information.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Iran is in a desperate situation. The most violent, the most aggressive nation on the planet has set its sights on the country, hell-bent on regime change not only in Iran, but its ally Syria as well. In the last decade this nation has used overwhelming force to invade both its western and eastern neighbors. Just a little while ago this country participated in regime change in Libya, a weakened Muammar Gaddafi who feared for his position and his life since the early 21st century, was bombed by western forces and then brutally murdered by western supported rebels, and the reason this happened was mostly because Gaddafi was stupid enough to think that accepting western demands of partial disarmament and tightening relations with them would secure peace for his nation.

This country, that the Iranian leadership feels "is out to get them", currently has over 20 military bases on Irans borders and many many more nearby. It has built up a huge force of 100,000 men, has a huge fleet on its coast and is staging large scale military exercises with its navy.

Iran is surrounded by U.S. puppet Iraq, U.S. ally and NUCLEAR POWER Pakistan and close-by is NUCLEAR POWER Israel who continually spouts out hateful rhetoric directed against Iran.

Then you guys actually take the Iranian rhetoric seriously? When you're not in a position of strength you must try to appear strong. That's why Saddam Hussein publicly(yes, it's a different game behind the curtain) insisted that his army had recovered from the 1st gulf war and that he had an arsenal of WMDs, when in reality his army was pure crap and he had got rid of his WMDs because the west insisted on it(see Gaddafi).

You are idiots if you get provoked by a wounded animal that's driven into a corner.
edit on 10-2-2012 by Shred because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I was not trying to be hostile in the slightest, I just wanted to know. And don't joke you guys have a great educational system...like we once had but had to dumb it down with the no child left behind initiative.
edit on 10-2-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Hanoi was never the objective. The objective was never about conquering the North but preserving and protecting the South.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf

I was not hostile in the slightest, I just wanted to know. And don't joke you guys have a great educational system...like we once had but had to dumb it down with the no child left behind initiative.

Finland has a no child left behind system and it has proven to be quite successful.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Shred

Our system might not be the same as yours. Ours is designed to keep pushing children up to the next grade without really teaching them adequately. The objective for our program is for federal funding. Schools with more passing students get more money from the government. I was educated in the late 80's into the 90's....there was a MASSIVE drop in the quality of teaching compared to what is taught now.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
I think the U.S. military is much less powerful than people realize. Think of the lack of soldiers and common sense that makes the US military weak but, all of that man power has to be over compensated for some how. And it is done with quite common technology. China has the most technologically advanced military on the face of the Earth right now.

There, that's what I thought you meant anyhow. Ha ha.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
reply to post by theubermensch

We dragged out the other wars because a quick war doesn't make money. If it were really in the best interest of the people calling the shots to go to war and end it quickly the wars we are involved in would last a couple of weeks. The U.S. possesses Air superiority. The U.S. military has technology that is at least 20 years ahead of our time.
edit on 10-2-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

They do, but collateral damage is real and no one is going to sit back and watch the US blow innocent civilians away on purpose so they can win a war within a few weeks. Much of their sophisticated weapons are basically meaningless if they can't use them. All the power in the world won't make public perception go away. There is no way the US could get away with a scenario you've outlined, it's simply not possible and everyone knows it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Possibly, but the US and other major parties still want a last big war. That's why they're goading Israel into making the mistake of throwing the first stone - covertly or not. If that fails there are other measures that could be taken - i.e. Syria.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Hanoi was never the objective. The objective was never about conquering the North but preserving and protecting the South.

Then that was your problem right there.

Who in their right mind fights a war by turtling, with no major strategic goals? Was the US hoping the North would lose its resolve and just give up, all the while being supplied by China? Hopelessly naive to get into a war assuming it could be "won" simply by holding a line.
edit on 10-2-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vedderman
It is a sad day when we speak of 'America' or 'Iran' or whoever as their respective governments. It is a sad day when America is NOT the same thing as the American people. It is a sad day when the government, which is supposed to merely be an arm, an extension of the will of the people, has taken over the entire being and equates with the nation as a whole, with the people as a whole. That tells me more about the state of affairs in this world than anything.

A lot of American people believe in their government and support the idea of dominating the world. Running as an anti war candidate is seen as weak.

I agree with the OP and his idea that the American Empire needs to stop. It's ridiculous and many of you support it. Always boasting and bragging about how no one can stand up to you militarily yadda yadda yadda, who really cares? It's that mentality that the rest of the world hates. Being an ignorant populous you probably don't care, but that's the reality. We need more peaceful solutions and a lot less world domination. I can't wait for it to end. The Americans who are against the politicians and elites who have hijacked your great country, I wish you all the best. The rest of you ignorant fools who allow it to continue and even promote it, shame on you.

I wish no innocent people hurt, but I do wish for the empire to crumble. I just about hate everything the US government stands for.
edit on 10-2-2012 by macaronicaesar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by TDawgRex

When pinting fingers, remember that three are pointing back at you.

Iran is quite the bully as well.

How do you mean?

I editted my reply. I really have nothing against the Iranian people, but their gov is as screwed up as the US.

All governments are guilty of funding terrorism, some however are more open about it than others.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Russia couldnt beat an egg.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

What? Iran's defense budget is $9,174,000,000. Ours is $692,000,000,000. We have nuclear weapons. They don't. I don't think that th U.S. should go to war with Iran, but saying that attacking Iran "would be akin to suicide" is just ridiculous.

Do you really think it will be one on one?

Plus America couldnt beat Vietnam or Korea.

Those Vet Kongs werent scared of your military budget.

Oh please. First of all the U.S. has NATO on their side. Turkey and Israel alone would be enough to crush Iran, but with the entirety of NATO at our sides the U.S. military is practically undefeatable right now.

And who says we couldn't beat vietnam? We didn't surrender we just left because the government finally realized how pointless the war was. You're crazy if you think that America would have lost the war if we didn't pull our troops out. The Vietnam war was an incredible success militarily speaking. The viet congs didn't even win a single major battle.

Having NATO on your side means # all. Right now the European Union is collapsing, soon to be civil-wars spread across Europe, NATO can't and won't do #.

Lol your talking up your success in Vietnam, how sad. It doesn't matter if America had stayed for even another decade, they still would have lost. In fact I see a trend emerging with Afghanistan too, do you want to stay there for another 10 years, lol.
The Vietnam war was an attempt to slow and stop the spread of communism, I remember my government said, If we don't stop it in Vietnam it will spread and not stop. Lol after Vietnam fell, communism didn't keep spreading. So the war was not a military success, because its aim to stop communism from spreading in the region was complete bull#, in fact it reminds me of another lie (Saddam has WMDs - Iraq war anyone?)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join