It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overcoming a Christian fundamentalist upbringing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by WarminIndy

Dude, the fact that you can read my story and see it as me doing it for rebellion lets me know that you will literally never understand and utterly misunderstood every word that I wrote.

Leaving it hurt, undoing all that programming was excruciatingly painful, so your insinuation that I did it for some petty thing like rebellion is astoundingly arrogant, condescending, and insulting.

I ran into people like you every single day as a kid, and I can tell you one thing that I learned really quick: people like me scare the crap out of most of you. I chose a different path because I chose to trust my own heart more than some book, and that makes you lot uncomfortable. It might be because you wish you had the guts to do the same, it might be because it makes me different, and it might be because you've been conditioned to believe that everybody who doesn't believe exactly like you is out to get you and wants nothing more than for Christianity to crumble.

But in the end, I trusted my own heart and mind over what I was told by other people, and that's really all there was to it.

Take it from me, following your heart will get you into more trouble than you can imagine, and will leave you with alot of regrets strewn along the road behind you.

I wouldn't say were afraid of you, if you think that you're gravely mistaken because we believe in one who has more power than you ever will.

One thing i urge you to do is no matter what your parents have done, you should forgive them. You do not have to see eye to eye with your parents, you can go your own way and many people do...i know i did. Mercy and forgiveness is a better path by far that holding onto your hate and anger.

Best of luck in whatever path you choose.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Your on the right path my friend. There is a whole world of wonder out there waiting to be discovered. I was raised in a conservitive christian household and I know how hard reprogramming can be.

Stick with it.

I guess one thing that really helped me through was the realisation that losing my religion didn't mean losing my morals, standards and principles. I have retained most of my christian morals and standards even though I now believe VERY different things from the christianity I was raised with.
I have life experience by the TRUCK LOADS and I don't regret any of it. The good and the bad were all a part of my journey and helped create the man that I have become.

I recomend you read "The Satanic Bible" by Anton Lavey. Don't worry it has nothing to do with Devil worship and it is a very compelling philosophical read. "Conversations With God" by Neale Donald Walsch is also a good read. It taught me some of the fundamental RULES to life. Rules that I still live my life by.

Happy trails and GOOD LUCK!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Sure it is, the church with no walls, where all are welcome to love.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

She died from complications from Cystic Fibrosis 6 months after she had her first son. She knew having him would be the death of her but she wanted to bring something into this world free of her affliction. She died leaving something of herself in this world, a part of her that would go on.

We were actually pretty close, we just had a falling out and she went into a coma, I tried to apologize for things i had said to her when she was lying there unconcious. I'd like to think she heard me, but i'm not going to delude myself. She didn't die alone, i was there too, i could do at least that much. She believed in Yahshua and thats good enough for me and maybe i'll see her again at the end of the road if i am found worthy enough.
edit on 10-2-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

It is because you know that you are not worthy, that you know that you are worthy.
For Christ did not come to save the righteous but sinners.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I understand this is a difficult message but try to realize it is the church you are rejecting. Ask yourself this question; did Jesus ever say anything that I don't agree with? When you can realize that it is man that you don’t agree with than you can accept that man must be wrong. How is it that I can believe everything Jesus said but not what the church teaches?

I will challenge you to try something that takes even more courage than leaving the church, to find Christ. Through the bible God promises to send the Holy Spirit to anyone who will read the bible searching for the truth. In order to do this you must be willing to forget everything man has told you and listen only to the Holy Spirit.

You have not been taught the bible, you have been taught the religion of men. The only way to learn the bible is to allow the Holy Spirit to interpret it for you. I cannot nor can anyone do this for you. All I can do is telling you the good news. God loves you and has forgiven you, he chose you to be his child from before you were born. It is now up to you to take the challenge to find Christ and live in the light, or to reject him and walk in darkness.

You can choose the path you want to take and in your case I believe both lead to the father, but only one path is lighted by the father, and this path is Christ.

I pray for you that you may find the narrow path because I pray that you find Christ in you.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

Stop trying to mislead the boy... let him make up his own mind and choose his own path. Shame on you.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

It seems you are trying to belittle your dad for having standards, which you have been doing all along, you read Harry Potter as an act of rebellion, therefore, you are not above showing disrespect for your father's faith.

My father tried to forbid to read a fairytale book at 16 years old because he thought it was Satanic. I respect my father's faith, but I refused (and still do) to respect his stupidity. Him forbidding me from reading a book had nothing to do with the principles of Christianity, and everything to do with him randomly deciding that something was evil because some preacher told him so.

You go through a thousand words to try to convince us you are honorable by belittling your father and his faith. Your rebellion shows the disrespect and you continue in it on here by trying to throw him under the bus just so someone else can agree with you and perhaps you feel a little less guilty about belittling your father.

The point of the OP was to highlight what a struggle it was to let go of Christianity even for someone who always held some misgivings. My hope was to highlight the idea that maybe such a struggle can shed light on why it seems that so few devoutly religious folks are open to exploring other religions or considering difficult questions about their own religion.

Why don't you just say you never believed in Jesus?

Wish I could. Truth is, I spent a long time as a believer. Granted, I was never what one would probably consider a "true" believer.

No, people like you always want the world to belittle your parents as well so you tell us about "evil" things they do. So your father had standards, why was it so hard to respect him for having them? So you don't believe, that is all you had to say. But to tell us you were willingly rebellious, that just means you did not like his rules.

I read a book behind my dad's back. This spiel makes it sound like I confessed to sacrificing a goat in our living room.

Good for you, now why don't you try to show tolerance of him, like people like you always demand from everyone else?

I tolerated going to church for four years after I stopped following Christianity completely, I tolerate him talking about Jesus all the time, I tolerate Christian blessings at family dinners, I sit through the readings of the Bible at Christmas and Easter. I even tolerate him disagreeing with gay marriage on religious grounds.

And as for tolerance, frankly, I would've been satisfied with not having my boyfriend jumped our sophomore year "for going out with the Devil worshiper". Or having some poor gullible kid babbling to the principal about trying to "sacrifice people to Satan with my razorblade candy" when I shared some candy bars with the few friends I had one day around Halloween time.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I was actually raised in a household with a pretty stringently Christian father. I wasn't raised in the type of Pentecostal church where they handle the snakes, but there was a lot of speaking in tongues and being "slain in the Spirit" and that sort of thing. My dad was one of those that thought Harry Potter was Satanic, and one of my acts of "rebellion" was reading those books right under his nose

You didn't "Overcoming a Christian fundamentalist upbringing" you over came a charismatic nut job cult. Your religions are wrong. Get it right.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

No, you were simply rebellious to standards your father had for how he ran his house. That seems to be very intolerant toward your father.

What a load of CRAP! WarminIndy, you should be ashamed of yourself. This 26-year old person, still a young person, went through NORMAL adolescent rebellion. OMG a 16-year old kid read a book.

It is a teen's JOB, developmentally, to look at their environment and the others around them and make some decisions and choices about what they themselves think is right, and what is wrong. The human brain is only then commencing the frontal lob formation -- where judgment lives.

Critical thinking. You know what it is? If nothing else, at least she was able to develop some sense of 'self' and to use her own 'judgment' and this is what normal people do at that age. She decided her father's dogmatic and unnecessary 'rules' and 'superstitions' were not something she wanted to mirror. Good for her, I say.

***EDIT: Sure, things could have been worse, and she might never have 'differentiated' herself, but instead become a grown up a hysterical nut job like many in her community. A youth's ability to differentiate depends on many factors, and some never do it. They just become older.

She made me laugh out loud with comparing your rant to her sacrificing a goat in the living room.!!

Talk about intolerant! Good God, calling her 'you people'? Sounds to me like she made a very sound decision to go her own way BASED ON what she saw of her father's self-righteous ignorance *cough*

edit on 11-2-2012 by wildtimes because: see above, and to fix 'develop' from 'development'

edit on 11-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Wow. You hit the nail on the head. Brilliant job.
I wish I could give about half a dozen stars for this one.
edit on 11-2-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thanks!.
You're welcome....
I'm always willing to rebutt someone when they've unjustly attacked with ignorant rhetoric and abuse. Congratulations to you for your courage and insight.
Keep fighting the good fight! To thine own self be true.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hudsonhawk69

There is a narrow path that leads to life, and a wide road that leads to destruction. Many people on the wide path will believe they are happy, but they have only justified there existence. If one finds the narrow path it is God that will justify your existence. I am not lying to the boy, Christ holds the key to the narrow road and you hold the key to the wide path. He can take either road but the burden of Christ is light. :-)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Just so everybody knows once again, since the OP won't fix his error, the religion the OP was describing is not Christianity....it is a cult. He never was part of a Fundamental Christian church to begin with.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

Spoken like a true uneducated Christian. No body really know what "Jesus" (not his real name) said, nothing was written about him for years after he died for one thing, and he did not ascend to "Heaven" as reported, in fact, his grace was found in 1980.
Titanic find: 'Christ's coffin'
Christ was a MAN, not a God, and as for "finding him," I think that is rather easy, in light of the tomb being found. He is dead. And has been dead for a very long time.

The only way to learn the bible is to allow the Holy Spirit to interpret it for you.

I get this all the time from Christians, what exactly did the "Holy Spirit" tell you, friend?

The idea that the Holy Ghost intervened in Jesus' virgin birth is met with open hostility in the gospels of the Nag Hammadi collection, where Phillip the Apostle even says: "when did a woman ever conceive of another woman?", which is a clear reference to the Ruach, or Holy Spirit. This is the one time in the Christian scriptures where the Holy Ghost is referred to clearly and directly as a 'woman'. It is no wonder that Phillip's gospel is excluded from the patriarchal canon, which was organized by the Pauline School.
The term 'Ruach', which is the word used by Jesus to refer to the Spirit, is a feminine Aramaic term translated as the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost in English.

That being said, why do Christians never say anything good about the Goddess, and label Her with a Male name, and tell people the Trinity is an all male club? I speak with the Goddess on a daily basis, friend, and She never says anything concerning the Christian Bible.
I explored this "Holy Spirit" thing in a thread, HERE, and was rather damned to Hell for even asking such a question. The truth is, we all have the Divine Spark within us, this is our Energy base, and that which animates us. You get it when you are born. It is the Divine Feminine, and can be found within everyone who looks for it. I found it, and so can you.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

You didn't "Overcoming a Christian fundamentalist upbringing" you over came a charismatic nut job cult. Your religions are wrong. Get it right.

Rather harsh there, isn't it? I think the OP, much like myself, did escape a CULT, the Cult commonly known as Christianity.
Fundamentalist Christianity stresses excessive devotion to Jesus above all else, marking them as a cult, employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control, and intermeshed with fear. The Christian Church uses several known brainwashing techniques to gain and then keep converts.
I am happy that I was able to escape the chains of religious dogma, and sincerely hope others can too find their own way out. Love and Truth are the only real religions.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

Just so everybody knows once again, since the OP won't fix his error, the religion the OP was describing is not Christianity....it is a cult. He never was part of a Fundamental Christian church to begin with.

Tell that to the OP....
if she says that is how she was raised, who are you to say she's in error!??
Has it occurred to you that whoever taught her their doctrine described themselves as Fundamental Christians?

It always floors me when the Christians get on here and say 'the Catholics aren't Christian', or, the church that AnIntell went to was not Fundamental Christian church to being with.

"I'm a real Christian! All you people who think your version of Christianity is Christian are wrong!"
Seriously?
There are tens of thousands of flavors for 'Christianity'; just as there are 10s of thousands of sports teams.
They all want their team to win and think all the other teams suck and aren't real athletes.
Whatever.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

You are closer to Christ than most Christians that I have spoken too. Anyone who teaches anything that causes division and separation has missed the whole point. Jesus said we are all brothers and that anyone who hates his brother does not know God.

I believe you fit the requirement for those who know God.

Peace to all

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25
reply to post by hudsonhawk69

There is a narrow path that leads to life, and a wide road that leads to destruction. Many people on the wide path will believe they are happy, but they have only justified there existence. If one finds the narrow path it is God that will justify your existence. I am not lying to the boy, Christ holds the key to the narrow road and you hold the key to the wide path. He can take either road but the burden of Christ is light. :-)

Spoken like a TRUE believer... You would make my father proud.

Christianity certianly does teach a narrow minded approach to god and life... That way there is less chance of followers seeing the truth.

If your road and your god are a BURDEN? Than perhaps your need to reevaluate your religion.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by KJV1611

I was being kind on myself. The church I attended is commonly viewed as a cult and to be honest I realise in my mid life that it has all the hall mark traits of a "Cult"
edit on 12/2/2012 by hudsonhawk69 because: i cant speeel

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Take it from me, following your heart will get you into more trouble than you can imagine, and will leave you with alot of regrets strewn along the road behind you.

I disagree. A very wise woman told me long ago to follow my heart in all things, and I took that advice to heart, and ran with it. Yes, I have some regrets, and wish some things had not turned out that way, but all in all, I have had a really good life, and have Lived my life, not just skated along. So, lonewolf19792000, if one is not to follow their heart, then pray tell what do you think they should follow?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join