It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange "stars" in the sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hi to all ATSers,

Recently, I paid attention to the sky, particularly tonight and I found something a bit odd. The truth is, to put you in context, it was nearly sunset, so the sky was still light blue, but turning more and more into dark blue of the night.

Normally you do not see stars in a light blue sky, you can see them during the night, right, but it was not yet it and those "stars" (what I think they could be) of a shiny white in the sky, and many of them. I am talking about 5 and more I saw. One seemed even to be between white and blue color, like it is unclearly white and blue. It is not moving but the color seems to change.

Anyways, I noticed this and I thought, well mmh? Stars does not appear this clearly during this time of the day. I have an habit of looking at stars and it is fine, even during the winter, but these shiny white dots, with the one of an unclear alternative color, strange to say the least.

If you want to, try paying attention at the sky a bit before sunset to know if you notice anything similar. Light pollution will not help of course, but if you are in a less urban area try it just for fun to see if you find what I did.

Insight of what it is might come with time I am sure of it.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

Where are you located? I can see planets reflecting before the sun sets. 3 of them are bright.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
i can usually see venus around that time, oh and satellites if they're overhead too

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The things that are jumping out to me right away in my mind are the planets Venus and Jupiter. Venus can be seen when the sky isn't completely dark yet because of how bright it is this time of year in relation to its orbit. Jupiter is also not far behind Venus on most nights. I'm curious about the third though. I know the star Sirius flashes blues, reds, and whites all the time but I do not know when it rises. It also doesn't help that I don't know what part of the world you're in. If you're on the other side of the globe, all of my answers would be incorrect.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I noticed the same thing tonight Truthseek3r. The stars seem to have been usually bright these past few months but I've just attributed it to planets becoming apparent in the sky.

Tonight at dusk the sky was a beautiful pink in the west and as you noted, the stars were already clearly visible.

At nearly 9pm tonight I also noticed that the moon was in the eastern part of the sky. It struck me as odd because we walk the dogs everyday at this time and the moon is normally much further west. It almost looked like type of harvest moon you see at dusk in late summer.

Very strange.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Stuff up there is seeming extra bright. I've noticed this too, and I've come in and checked on Stellarium to see what they were.

Jupiter, Venus, both very bright.
Sirius is twinklier than it used to be. It used to just sit there looking big and bright, and now it's like a spinning red/blue/white bright light up there. It looks like the top of a cop car.

I can see those three when it's not dark yet, on a clear night. I don't remember seeing them this clearly before, they look bigger than they used too.

I wish my camera worked, the moon is just coming up now, and it's bright orange. Beautiful.
I discovered my camera was dead a couple of nights ago, I wanted to get a picture of the moon that night, it was coming up bright orange, with the clouds making it look like it had big orange wings.....

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm sorry but where I live I can see stars about 1-2 hours before sunset and even the moon. Completely normal over here, always been.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What I just noticed, is the moon is coming up directly east. Two nights ago, when I wanted to take a picture of it, I was having a hard time getting it in the camera site, because it was a lot further north from tonights spot
I had to get the right spot between the trees.

I knew it comes up at a different time each night, but I didn't know it moved over that much, in just 2 days.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Clearly, Nibiru is approaching and having an effect on our celestial bodies to an exceedingly worrisome degree.

Clearly.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
if you have a smartphone download google sky. it will give you some general information about what stars or planets you are seeing. or stellarium(i think that's the one) for your computer. i like using google sky on my phone when i'm out having a smoke to see which of the brighter stars are which planets. it's interesting.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

They're just stars dude. They have to be just barely visibly detectable at a certain point in the day, and it looks like you happened to be looking up at that time.

That, or..............
www.quickmeme.com...
edit on 9-2-2012 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Here in Georgia (USA), last months moon was a crescent bull horn and filled in from the bottom up to full Moon as the month wore on, not side cresent filling across ... I've never seen that before. Tonight no moon as last night was full. Can not wait to see what it looks like this month. Have gone out and bought a digital camera in hopes the bull horns return. But yes the Stars do seem very very bright this year, also Mars and Venus very obvious.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Venus is bright enough (at certain times in the orbit) to be seen in the middle of the day.
This is easier to do if you know where it is just before sunrise, then you can get a position for it.
eg "if I stand HERE then its just above the top of that branch on that tree"
...and then keep watching it, and updating your knowledge of its position for the rest of the day.

But as far as the OP is concerned, and for other people who see things like this in the night sky, it would help if you knew some of the constellations and names of the brighter stars.
This knowledge is not hard to get, but it would help so much with these kinds of postings if you could say "the object is between Rigel and Sirius" or even "it is in Scorpio, in the tail".

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Your probably seeinf Venus, Jupiter, and Sirrus. Sirrus twinkles colors alot if it is lower on your horizon. Also tonight Mars is shining big and bright at about the first magnitude and is right next to the Moon all night. Also the Orion constellation has some bright stars in it as well.

Here is a good place to go to check out whats goinfg on in the night sky's.

www.astronomy.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I am an avid sky watcher and I see what you describe all the time. As the sun sets and the sky gets darker the stars start to become visible one or a few at a time depending on their brightness and position. There are 2 planets that really stand out to me lately one in the east and one in the west both low on the horizon, not sure what they are but they catch my eye every time I'm out there at the time.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Hmmmm...Perhaps the star is Sirius B? The Malformed orbit of its natural satellites seem to cause strange irregularities under earth's atmospheric pressure at sea level.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Keep in mind that each night when looking up at the stars, your "seeing" can be different depending up on the weather conditions and what is going on in our upper atmosphere:

Astronomical seeing refers to the blurring and twinkling of astronomical objects such as stars caused by turbulent mixing in the Earth's atmosphere varying the optical refractive index. The astronomical seeing conditions on a given night at a given location describe how much the Earth's atmosphere perturbs the images of stars as seen through a telescope.

en.wikipedia.org...

This can cause some stars that we see to "twinkle" even more than on other nights. Planets do not twinkle as their light reflected from the sun is much brighter, and closer.

Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn will appear as very bright stars to our eyes. Venus and Jupiter will appear white. Mars looks orange, and Saturn will look faintly yellow.

There are apps out there for the smart phone that allow you to hold your phone up to the sky and will show you what you are seeing (planets and stars). You can also use many different software, many free, that will show you what is in the sky right then and there too for your computer or laptop.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The winter star systems tend to be more noticeable because:
There is less moisture in the air.
Some of the stars are brighter than the summer ones.

Add to the above that we have a few bright planets and you end up with celestial show.

Don’t forget the Moon moves 1/28th of its orbit every day. So it will not be in the same place at the same time of night.

No mysteries no conspiracies.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I live in eastern Canada if it can help you someway or somehow.

Thruthseek3r

join