It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

television controlling your mind

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
I have always believed television was addictive but not for the reasons stated in the links. I always thought it due to the high-pitched 'whistle' that televisions make when they are on and that, subconciously, this frequency is 'familiar/friendly/enjoyable'etc. Whether or not this is the case I have no idea, but considering most television programmes are duller than real life there must be a reason why people turn it on even if there's 'nothing on'. Incidentally, my new flat will have no television as I hate 'em.

I found that when I stopped watching television alltogether...that became addictive. If a person does become addicted to t.v., and I certainly agree that they can, I also believe it can run it's course depending on who is sitting in front of the tube. Turning on a t.v. with nothing on could be a sign of lack of creativity.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I agree on the TV mind control. Especially where the young are concerned. It almost seems too that they can put anything on and people will flock to it....look at all the ridiculous reality shows.....which are all BS....it has already bee proven people are "acting" when they know the camera is rolling, more upset, madder etc....it influences people so much all in presentation......There are very few shows I actually go into the living room sit and watch on the big TV......95% of what I listen to, is done in the computer room while on the computer.......

I would definitely agree that the computer is replacing the television as a means of addiction.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
at least the computer has an infinite amount of information to attain. well mabye not infinite... but theres buttload!

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
yeah i agree, pc is ok, cos when i watch something on there, i am also reading ats at the same time,llol, and just surfing, reading articles. Ive got a subscription to the economist so i get to use their online section and read back copies there, pc's rule! tvs are for the death of the brain.

I dont think having a high serotonin level is beneficial. And thats what tv does, and i dont thin my brain is like that generally! and i dont know anyone who has ever gotten and proper intense work done in front of a tv! but ive dont several papers while watching on pc and gotten a's on them!

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
PC = all emcompassing aura of knowlegde

TV = all emcompassing aura of ignorance

those damn PSY-OPs are enough to drive a person mad!

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Strianissa

I spent a large part of my childhood in front of the television, and the only way it could have possibly controlled my mind is if one considers that I grew up with an extremely positive set of ideals. Every event in a person's life goes back to how that person was raised as a child. If a parent is apathetic toward a child and let's that child learn what he/she will, then the child might grow up with a bad moral programming so to speak. My parents watched television with my on more occassions than I can count. We watched things like:

Little House on the Prairie
The Brady Bunch
I Dream of Jeannie
Gilligan's Island
The Andy Griffith Show
I Love Lucy
The Local and World News
Sports
Saturday morning cartoons (looney tunes, tom & jerry, smurfs, etc.)

I could go on forever remembering shows with good wholesome concepts. We actually had discussions about the moral issues and decision-making policies. I have to admit, it took me a while to get used to regular folks as I was growing up due to what I considered to be lack of concern for positive human evolution, but because my parents have guided me well, I made it through confusing moments just the same.

You should read the section of this article that discusses the hidden messages in those so-called "Wholesome Television Shows" we watched as kids.

source: www.alternativescentral.com...
The articles are VERY long so it's better to do a search on the page for the word "Wholesome" so you can find that section.

Here's an excerpt from that section:

To make his point, Adorno unmasks the "hidden message" of a number of popular shows of the early television period.

"Our Miss Brooks", a popular situation comedy (sitcom), pitted a trained professional, a school teacher, against her boss, the principal. Most of the humor, according to Adorno, was derived from situations in which the underpaid teacher tried to hustle a meal from her friends.

Adorno "decodes" the "hidden message" as follows:

"If you are humorous, good-natured, quick-witted, and charming as she [Miss Brooks] is, do not worry about being paid a starvation wage. You can cope with your frustration in a humorous way and your superior wit and cleverness put you not only above material privations, but also above the rest of Mankind."

This 'message' will be called forth years hence, as the economy collapses in the form of a "cynical anti-materialism." It came forth with a vengeance among the 1960s "lost generation," and the first wave of the "counterculture."

Generalizing from this, Adorno points out that it is "social tension and stress" that call forth the television images of "pyschodynamic stereotypes", the role models and images from the early television viewing. The more confusing life becomes, the "more people cling desperately to clichés in order to bring order to the otherwise un-understandable," Adorno says.

Another "decoding" by Adorno emphasizes this point. Remember the show, "My Little Margie"? The heroine of this sitcom was a pretty girl who played "merry pranks" on her father, who is portrayed as well-meaning but stupid.

Adorno says that the "hidden message" is the image of an aggressive female successfully dominating and manipulating the male father-figure. He "predicts" that years later, that young girls will increasingly mirror this image of the "bitch-heroine." Little Margie is the role model image for the feminist movement of the 1960s and 1970s that took off as the "My Little Margie" viewers grew up.

"They" know exactly what they're doing and it's all designed so that you have no idea you're being manipulated. The most important thing to keep in mind is that the manipulation is taking place over a long period of time so you have no idea it's happening at all.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Great topic i must say

iv been talking to people about this for like 2 years and still havnt been able to release anyone from the clutches of tv...one question i need to ask.

Is it possible to repair the brain from such a long period of time watching so much TV, not being able to have a creative mind.
I feel that part of my growing up was done infront of the TV and i can see this now.
I feel i cant be creative, im very lazy and the list goes on...can the mind be repaired?

Iv stoped watching TV and it feels great, i used to stutter and now my stuttering has nearly vanished, i can learn alot more now and i use my time alot better than i used to before.
One time it hit me when i was watching "The Cable Guy"...i know its not the best film Jim has done but i feel the movie had a great message. its a must watch film!!

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Yep, great topic

I won't repeat myself, but have a FEW views on this......
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Chuck out your TV - it only took us about 2 weeks to get over it. "But what do we do now?" I hear you ask.

The answer is simple - live our lives.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
hey. i just moved into a new place say oh about 2 months ago. never got cable hooked up. but my son and i do watch dvds and play the heck out of some xbox 360. ive known about all of the messages and the dumbing down of the masses for quite a while. im 36 years old and my son is 9. one of the hardest things to do is try to explain to a child what is going on in this crazy world. a little at a time.....i really have to watch the playstations and psps and xbox games because not only does tv send messages straight from lucifer himself, but the games are holding nothing back. even if they are rated G or PG. they are demonic in desquise and some of them are just plain demonic...just as tv is. ahh lucifer.....you are so obvious in your work. i grew up playing video games and D&D and still love em, but you have to be careful. i will teach my son all about it so he wont be caught in the trap.

[edit on 10-9-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
[edit on 10-9-2006 by Funkydung]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I did not stop staring at the box but other the course of a few years i grew increasingly tired of it and now i need it no more
But you know ill visit friends and family who use the tv and it interesting to note how quickly conversation dries up and also when we are conversing it seems to generate around tv such as some new soap programme or film or about whos seeing who in their favourite tv series and all this time they do not know there own neighbours name .WIERD.
It is a shame though seeing as tv is the greatest medium ever invented and what should be used to do so much creative good in the world is wasted on idle , mind numbing garbage
And how it breeds contempt and hate , how it shapes ideas and opinions , how it spreads fear and deceit , how it creates sloth and greed.
It opened the doors of a culture we unwittingly trusted and are now bought as sold on the conveyor belt of ignorance

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join