It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines posed with Nazi symbol in Afghanistan

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qemyst
reply to post by McC556

Now, It was that viewers own decision to associate the symbol with the Nazis. It was not the fault of the person showing them that symbol.

The same holds true with the SS. It stands for scout sniper in this case. If the viewer of that symbol chooses to associate it with Nazis, that's of their own doing.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

The only flaw in your tired argument is that virtually nobody thinks like this. It is not logically flawed (you are right in that symbols can have ambiguous meanings), but it is unreasonable to expect that even a minority of people will think like this.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by duality90
The only flaw in your tired argument is that virtually nobody thinks like this. It is not logically flawed (you are right in that symbols can have ambiguous meanings), but it is unreasonable to expect that even a minority of people will think like this.

What a coincidence that our arguments are both as tired as one another. It seems to me that many people are able to not be offended by any of these symbols. I've noticed many people on here with similar views. "Get over it." and "Some more PC crap for people to get offended over." Wonder why people would say that, unless we all think alike. We, of course, being those who aren't offended at all by any of this.

So if you people just HAVE to be offended, then by all means, be offended.
I'll tell you what though, it sure is nice to NOT be offended by it.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

I am offended.

I am offended that people would call these boys stupid, dumb, uneducated, Nazi, ignorant, unpatriotic, Coward, and slur of other names.

I am offended that people would want them court-martialed or disciplined in any way for something as stupid as this.

I am offended that people cannot make the distinction between Scout Snipers and Neo Nazis.

I am offended by this thread.

I am not offended by two letters side-by-side.

These soldiers deserve our respect and thanks not our disdain. Anyone who would give them any less is offensive to say the least.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by Qemyst

I am offended.

I am offended that people would call these boys stupid, dumb, uneducated, Nazi, ignorant, unpatriotic, Coward, and slur of other names.

I am offended that people would want them court-martialed or disciplined in any way for something as stupid as this.

I am offended that people cannot make the distinction between Scout Snipers and Neo Nazis.

I am offended by this thread.

I am not offended by two letters side-by-side.

These soldiers deserve our respect and thanks not our disdain. Anyone who would give them any less is offensive to say the least.

Agreed. It's all so very trivial. I'll never get some people, I guess.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

Openeye, isn't your avatar the symbol of Himmler's Black Sun - secretive occult nazi elite, found on the floor of his ritualistic HQ, castle Wewelsburg?

Yes my avatar resembles that of the black sun. However it is different.

My symbol is inverted and colored white, this method has been used by many different cultures and individuals. The Nazi's took the symbol of the swastika, which was a symbol of peace, balance, harmony and turned it into a symbol of power and dominance (the same meaning of the Black Sun). Thus forever perverting the symbol.

I have taken their symbol inverted it and gave it a new color and thus a new meaning. It is the polar opposite of Himmler/Blavatsky's "Black Sun" which only fuels the "Primal Ego" and rewards the selfish. My "White Sun" is a symbol of knowledge, peace, balance, harmony...basically "God".

Symbolism is in the eye of the beholder no dogma rules it, a man can look at a sphere and see a cool shape or the meaning of life. It is up to that individual.

You should know a thing or two then about the disturbing significance of US marines using the Waffen symbol. The runic marks are a perhaps thin, but nevertheless revealing clue connecting the Nazis to the Skull & Bones, both having connection to the Theosophical Society.

It is quite odd that they have such a symbol on there flag, I just do not know if it was intentional or not. One side of my mind says "Oh maybe they just thought it looked cool, and did not really think about the significance/connection" the other side says "Oh they damn well knew what they were doing and this is a prime example of esoteric symbolism is places of power. All in all, I just don't know, I can only assume and as every older lady or gentleman has told me "assuming" is not the best thing to do when looking for the truth.

edit on 16-2-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Funny, I just sent a link to someone of

As someone with pagan leanings, I get very tired of being told that all the pagan things are Nazi. Nazis channelled what was already there - Germanic mysticism with a call out to Gaulic mysticism.

Dead Can Dance, and Metallica can sing about Black Sun though.

Theosophicals - so seriously annoying.

Can someone please explain to me how you guys can keep saying that the people who you accuse of being Nazi can also be "tools of zionists?" Could you please clarify that for me? How do you make that connection work in your head? Aren't you the same groups of people who claim that the militaries of the West are all working for the Jews, while at the same time saying that they are all Nazi-esque?
edit on 2012/2/16 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Lol I totally get where your coming from.

I think most people just don't do the research. Most if not all of the symbolism that the Nazi's used was ancient Asian or European in origin. I would not doubt that maybe there was some originality in their visual symbols. But for the most part symbols are just passed down and reworked over and over again with the rise and fall of each generation. There are some symbols that remain defined longer than others (like the Nazi swastika as opposed to the original).

The Nazi's are quite fascinating really, they were the only overtly mystic government to exist in the modern age. Its funny to me that most historians disagree with this despite the evidence.

Can someone please explain to me how you guys can keep saying that the people who you accuse of being Nazi can also be "tools of zionists?"

I have never understood this one either really. I have been told by many people that "Oh man the Jews orchestrated the holocaust so that Zionists would get Israel" and I'm always thinking "Well thats a good way to win over people, murder a bunch of your own people than everyone will feel sorry for you and give you your land back..." than they say "Well they did it in secret! Not all Jews are bad only the famous ones!"

Now personally I think the holocaust was one giant ritualistic sacrifice. I think some wealthy, powerful Jewish people knew what was going to go down. But they sure as hell didn't approve of it.

I think all the conspiracy theories that promote the "Evil Globalist Zionist Cabal" are just rehashed theories that have evolved since the early 18th century (probably even earlier), which were perpetuated by racism.

ETA: Aw where did the awesome BSG avatar with Leoben go Aeons!? That one was awesome!
edit on 16-2-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

I'm always amused by the squeamishness of academics to acknowledge the mystic side of the Nazis too.

Looks like Christian, tastes like Wotan.

I finished integrating Leoben into my psyche?
I still have Kara/Leoben/Trooper. I might put him back up at some point.

In the meantime, enjoy some geek-out on my fav fanvid.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Does anyone really believe it's an innocent mistake?

The SS were blamed for killing millions of Jews and these men are proudly using their symbolism. This is bound to cause an outrage among the Jewish community. Even as a non religious person I find these actions to lack any respect.

Anyone notice how it's all a bunch of white guys?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I surely do. I've never seen that symbol before and honestly when I just saw it I was thinking "wth... that isn't a nazi symbol... they're just making a big deal of nothing." Then I read on and realized that it is a nazi sign and when it said it's a mistake, I can definitely see that being the case.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3velutionR3quired
Respect to them, theve got serious go nads lol

I respect their skills, but there is no courage in being a sniper IMO.

Snipers are a vital tool for various purposes including special missions and protecting fellow servicemen, but I don't agree with the concept. But most of you will call me a peace loving hippie for not being down with the war mongering.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: grammer

You don't see what's honorable about never letting your eye leave a scope when anyone could sneak up behind you and slit your throat? Do you realize how many people I've killed like that on Battlefield 3????

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

What are the odds of not 1 but 10 soldiers not knowing what that symbol represents?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
from a comment from original site

"IT will be funny when they go to war with Iran................it'll be Neo-nazi Aryans against people who are actually Aryans (Iranians)"

The people of Iran are Persian. Not all of them but most of them. Not Aryan.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

That's a good point seeing as though it seems like I'm the only one that didn't know what it stood for. I'm wondering where the got the flag from... was it already there and they just put the US flag on top of it? or did they hang both of them. If they hung both of them, where the heck did they get it from? If it was already there, then why the heck would they think that it means Spiner Scout in the middle of the desert?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKillah
reply to post by spy66

That's a good point seeing as though it seems like I'm the only one that didn't know what it stood for. I'm wondering where the got the flag from... was it already there and they just put the US flag on top of it? or did they hang both of them. If they hung both of them, where the heck did they get it from? If it was already there, then why the heck would they think that it means Spiner Scout in the middle of the desert?

A Camp Pendleton spokesman, Master Gunnery Sergeant Mark Oliva, said he did not know where the flag came from but it was likely the property of one of the marines in the photograph.

A flag like that would not hang for very long without being noticed.

You say you didn't know what the symbols mean? Don't they teach about WW2 in school any more?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n

Originally posted by signal2noise

Just because someone on page one mentioned how "courageous" snipers are, it doesn't mean it's true, and I have explained my opinion on this side issue various times in the thread.

And just because you think they aren't courageous doesn't mean it's true, either.

Do you believe that baiting children then sniping them is courageous?

Prove to me they bait children.
Are you just saying that because you heard what you want to hear out of that video?

Your appeal to emotion is fail.

One page? You must have not watched the video.

Do you not know how baiting works?

The simple way to explain it is that U.S forces leave "garbage" that Afghani "insurgents" might approach thinking they can use it for "bombs".

Who do you think would be the most likely to go pick up the "bait"?

Imagine yourself as an American 10 year old walking down the road with a friend and seeing a nice shiny piece of metal or plastic with wires sticking out of it, I guarantee it would raise their curiosity. Your attempt to dehumanize these people isn't working but I thought I would explain it in simple terms so it would be easier for you to understand.

Baiting is a despicable practice and there is not justification for it.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: there not their

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

You say you didn't know what the symbols mean? Don't they teach about WW2 in school any more?

I was thinking the same thing, does the American education system not teach history?

Or do all marines drop out in the 6th grade, because I learned this stuff in the 6th grade in Canada.

I spent grade 5 in the USA BTW...

All these people are saying "they didn't know any better, and that it's a symbol from the past". But no one can show me an SS flag like that from before WW2, all they can find are some skulls and crosses which is not what this topic is about.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

One page? You must have not watched the video.

Do you not know how baiting works?

The simple way to explain it is that U.S forces leave "garbage" that Afghani "insurgents" might approach thinking they can use it for "bombs".

Who do you think would be the most likely to go pick up the "bait"?

Imagine yourself as an American 10 year old walking down the road with a friend and seeing a nice shiny piece of metal or plastic with wires sticking out of it, I guarantee it would raise their curiosity. Your attempt to dehumanize these people isn't working but I thought I would explain it in simple terms so it would be easier for you to understand.

Baiting is a despicable practice and there is not justification for it.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: there not their

Oh no, I know how baiting works. But your post is full of assumptions because you wish to make up excuses in order to condemn troops. You think that they aren't people and that they'll kill anything that they see. Sorry, but you're wrong. You spend soooo much time buying into propaganda yourself, that it places you on the complete opposite side of the spectrum to the people who think us being there is fighting for freedom. You're just as bad, except you're the opposite extreme.

Reality lies somewhere in the middle. Maybe with a little personal experience with real people, you'll be able to join us there instead of buying into BS isolated instances and then using that to attribute and generalize the entire military.

I haven't seen you once say anything about the people who are voted into office by the American public, or Congress who is voted into office by the American public who gave the President a golden ticket to wage war on whoever he deemed "terrorists." Instead you'd rather deny the fact that you're just as much to blame for not being proactive and whining on a website instead of taking this to Washington where it belongs. It's much easier to blame the face of the military than to blame yourself and the faceless American public for your contribution to the wars being waged. You will buy the propaganda that suits your agenda and then tweak it by adding in some assumptions and "what ifs," and you disregard anything that you disagree with no matter how true it is.
edit on 2-16-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
That's right. We should get back on track.

This thread is about some people liking lightning bolts as a symbol.

From 1872.

Nazis got one thing right - they really knew their demographic and how to use their symbols. They were good at propaganda. They took what wasn't their's, and you want to make everyone for all time pay for it.

Because of it, the powerful tribal symbols are continuing to be owned by those who do not deserve them.

The horrors perpetuated on those who suffered is not diminished. Most of the people effected by those horrors are gone now. The "field" is diminished, and the old tribal field will re-establish itself.

It existed before, it will exist again. Allow it to be owned by those who deserve the chance to direct its path.
edit on 2012/2/16 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66

What are the odds of not 1 but 10 soldiers not knowing what that symbol represents?

What are the odds of not 1 but HUNDREDS of ATS’ers not knowing that the symbol means SCOUT SNIPER?

edit on 16-2-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This thread is just stupid now, the same things have been relentlessly covered over and over again. Some people are just really receptive to being taught to spew hate at things they have nothing to do with.

Originally posted by duality90

No, that is YOUR flaw, because there are plenty of people in this thread that think in terms of reality. I am one of them.

Everything has already been explained pages back, it's easy to just ignore the fact that you are wrong on the internet.
edit on 16-2-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join