It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines posed with Nazi symbol in Afghanistan

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Aeons

Do your high schools even teach about WW2? You guys didn't even get into the thing until near the end.

Excuse me. I am English. We were in the war from the beginning!

I left high school a long time ago and I suspect I know more about the war than most!

Ah. Well aren't these US soldiers?

We learn about WW2 in high school in Canada, but then Canada was deeply effected by WW2. Even so, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find that 50% of people under 25 would related the double lightning bolts with anything if you presented them to them without any context.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i take back what i said.
this is a "big deal"
its like i just walked into my house.
caught my significant other mid coitus with the spectral ghost of Hitler himself.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by caf1550
reply to post by neformore

ive said this before, they know what the SS was back in WW2 thats not why they are flying this flag or posed for this picture.

they are not trying to idolize the WaffenSS they are trying to use there SS symbol as something else. is there a set of rules that says you can't use the SS "lightening bolts" as something different then from what the Nazi's used it as

the Nazi's stole the swasticka from the hindu and used it as there flag, while the hindu use it as a religious symbol so why can't these Marine Scout Snipers use the SS symbol to signify Scout Sniper?

Because of things like this;

Massacres and Atrocities of WW2

During the Ardennes Offensive (Battle of the Bulge) the Combat Group of the 1st SS Panzer Division, led by SS Major Joachim Peiper, was approaching the crossroads at Baugnes near the town of Malmédy. There they encountered a company of US troops (Battery B of the 285th Field Artillery Observation Battalion) from the US 7th Armoured Division. Realizing that the odds were hopeless, the company's commander, Lieutenant Virgil Lary, decided to surrender. After being searched by the SS, the prisoners were marched into a field adjacent to the Cafe Bodarwé. The SS troops moved on except for two Mark IV tanks Nos. 731 and 732, left behind to guard the GIs. A couple of GIs tried to flee to the nearest woods and an order was given to fire. SS Private Georg Fleps of tank 731 drew his pistol and fired at Lary's driver who fell dead in the snow. The machine guns of both tanks then opened fire on the prisoners. Many of the GIs took to their heels and headed for the woods. Incredibly, 43 GIs survived, but 84 of their comrades lay dead in the field, being slowly covered with a blanket of snow.

And, incidentally, most of the atrocities on that page.

Its damned offensive and degrading to the memories of those who died in such a manner, that a US Forces unit is pictured with that symbol. And inventing all of the faux goodwill in the world doesn't take away from that.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
salute of any flag with pledge is fascism defined
edit on 10-2-2012 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

With all due respect, but you are doing exactly what shouldn't be done:

putting emotional context's in things that are utterly unrelated to what people think they are.

Yes, it is disrespectful if you use examples like that. But like many members have stated (including myself), context means a lot about this things.

If I say cock, will you ban me? You might, if you assume I'm saying the bad word related to the male penis. But what if I'm talking about chickens? Context is everything, and intent is also very important.

I think people should be very careful about the meanings they see in things, and the accusations that are made. I would be more offended by being called a nazi over something that wasn't meant that way, than to see a symbol that reminds me of a darker meaning.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Isn't the SS symbol there meant for Scount Sniper? I believe all the guys posted in the picture are snipers...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Yeah. That happened.

These guys aren't the SS.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Isn't the SS symbol there meant for Scount Sniper? I believe all the guys posted in the picture are snipers...

Yes.. Yes it is!

Wow. A little education people..
edit on 10-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
US military luuuvs teh WW2 German war machine. For example, tank troops are in hardcore love with Rommel, with some units keeping pictures of him inside their tanks as they roll to combat. Not that there's anything wrong with respecting Rommel, he was a genius. But apparently it goes all the way to the SS as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Originally posted by jhn7537

Yes.. Yes it is!

Wow. A little education people..
edit on 10-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

Symbols can have more than 1 meaning... I understand that it also is a nazi symbol, but it can still carry a different meaning...No need to be rude

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The swastika was also a buddhist symbol before the nazis used it. So, using your logic, buddhists are nazis and jew killers. Get a grip.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Shred

tank troops are in hardcore love with Rommel, with some units keeping pictures of him inside their tanks as they roll to combat.

I have serious doubts over that claim.

Do you have proof of that?

Because, Rommel was one of the people in charge of the Blitzkrieg tactics used by the nazi war machine during WW2, and those tactics have nothing to do with current U.S. armored divisions tactics.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I'm not being rude. Sorry if you took it that way.

But honestly, this is more than just common knowledge, what this symbol is and what it stands for.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tifozi
reply to post by Shred

tank troops are in hardcore love with Rommel, with some units keeping pictures of him inside their tanks as they roll to combat.

Because, Rommel was one of the people in charge of the Blitzkrieg tactics used by the nazi war machine during WW2, and those tactics have nothing to do with current U.S. armored divisions tactics.

Doesn't matter if his tactics are in use by a specific military or not, they are still studied widely around the world. He was one of the most respected commanders in the war, with both his own and his enemies acknowledging his skill and respecting it. As for the authenticity of my claim, I can not provide a source as it's years since I saw that information (relating to Iraq war). Believe it or not, doesn't really matter to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Sir,

You're proving even more that most people who will be first to bash the military have a very uneducated view of it. You don't know what the center of the military is. All you have is a biased vision of evil or whatever it is that you picture in your mind.

Guess how many people I've hurt in my military career. Go ahead. Guess.

Now guess how many people I've legitimately helped in my military career.

I want you to answer these two questions. I want to see you answer these from your point of view. Take an "educated" guess. I'll be waiting.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Very sad to see this kind of stupidity on display by a fighting corp that is respected and honoured the world over ,

did it just slip thier minds that hundreds of US soldiers , many of them wounded were murdered by the SS while they were in captivity during the early days of the battle of the bulge or that tens of thousands of thier brothers in arms were killed or wounded fighting the SS panzer corp during the break out from Normandy.

just a big slap in the face to all them old boys who lost friends in Europe and the pacific during WW 2 - they must be feeling pretty #ty over this.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Masamune69

Most of them are dead.

edit to add:

Erwin Rommel - The Desert Fox
edit on 2012/2/10 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by duality90

I am British, we deliberately incinerated babies by bombing dresden- I still fly the union flag.

This posturing is nonsense

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tifozi
reply to post by Shred

Rommel's reputation isn't sullied is it? I thought he was widely regarded as one of the finest tacticians and honorable (moreso than his counterparts) of the war?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by isaac7777
The swastika was also a buddhist symbol before the nazis used it. So, using your logic, buddhists are nazis and jew killers. Get a grip.

The swastika is also an ancient Finnish symbol, with the Finnish air force using it in before and during WW2 and still used by the Finnish air force academy, and it has other uses in modern Finland as well like some military medals, WW2 commemoration rings to raise money for veterans and even some municipalities insignia.

http:// tinyurl. com/7a5v48b

Not all of us let a single bad regime ruin a perfectly fine symbol.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Shred because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join