It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines posed with Nazi symbol in Afghanistan

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Yeah, I think it's some ancient Buddhist symbol.

If I remember correctly some Finnish aircract during the Russo-Finnish war had the swastika symbol on them, but they wern't Nazi.

I remember reading an article about a...I think it was an Indian man who has a swastika tattoo on his lip and he often gets shunned and strange looks because of it, but it in no way represents Nazism to him.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

In America those lightening bolts are representations of White Power. Either these guys love Hitler, or are racists. Your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Nazis stole a whole pile of pre-Nazi symbols, and now nobody is allowed to so much as look at those symbols lest their minds be HIJACKED by evil Hitler-Magick.

Co-Co Chanel and Hugo Boss somehow survived being associated with Nazis.

Symbols - they can be taken back. They belonged to other groups first, and if the rabid frothing anti-Nazis would hush up it would have happened already.

You want to laugh some more?

This car...

...the Volkswagen Beetle wasn't a success at first.

Porsche designed it in a way that was considered too square, without emotion and with no sense of style.

You know who actually made the design that so many people learned to love and adore, partially responsible for this car being the best selling car ever, and being associated with peace movements like the "hippies"?

Hitler himself.

Now that is a freaking lesson on symbolism and what people make out of them!

And for the ignorants who don't believe me:

In 1933, Adolf Hitler gave the order to Ferdinand Porsche to develop a Volkswagen (literally, "people's car" in German, pronounced [ˈfɔlksvaːɡən]). The epithet Volks- literally, "people's-" had been previously applied to other Nazi sponsored consumer goods such as the Volksempfänger ("people's radio"). Hitler required a basic vehicle capable of transporting two adults and three children at 100 km/h (62 mph). The "People's Car" would be available to citizens of the Third Reich through a savings scheme, or Sparkarte (savings booklet),[12] at 990 Reichsmark, about the price of a small motorcycle (an average income being around 32RM a week).

Source

Guess what? Anyone who owns/loves a VW Bettle is a NAZI! (by most people's logic in this thread)

edit on 10/2/12 by Tifozi because: added a smile at the end

link   
reply to post by Kram09

Do your high schools even teach about WW2? You guys didn't even get into the thing until near the end.

Everyone is so damnably touchy about this subject that the merest possibility makes them froth. It is ridiculous, and it has a LIMITED LIFE SPAN that is quickly running out.

I dressed up as "War" for Halloween, using bits of uniforms from all over the Western world over the last 40 years, and a cap from the Canadian army. People were SURE I was dressed as a Nazi - because it looked good.

The lightning bolts belonged to another group before the Nazis.

Essentially, peoples' problem is that people might like symbols and look good in those symbols. Get over it.

edit on 2012/2/10 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

news.yahoo.com

The Marine Corps on Thursday once again did damage control after a photograph surfaced of a sniper team in Afghanistan posing in front of a flag with a logo resembling that of the notorious Nazi SS — a special unit that murdered millions of Jews, gypsies and others.

The Corps said in a statement that using the symbol was not acceptable.

However, it was a naive mistake made by Marines who believed the SS symbol was meant to represent sniper scouts and never intended to associate themselves with a racist organization, said Maj. Gabrielle Chapin, a spokeswoman at Camp Pendleton.
(visit the link for the full news article)

U.S. Marines raised the flag on Mount Surabachi, Iwo Jima.

There's a very large bronze statue of the event there in Washington, D.C.

It's free to anyone who wants to view the bronze.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think the lightning bolt S looks cool. I wish I could use it without being labeled as a nazi sympathizing racist jew killer.

You know, you take away meaning from symbols when you use them for different reasons, why shouldn't we take the SS symbol and use it for what we want?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I didn't know that symbol belongs to the nazis

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I like the idea of "taking back" symbols.
Like the swastika, which was a Buddhist symbol (although I believe the Nazi's actually reversed it).

I suppose we could be worried about "losing history and it's lessons" but then, what have we lost by not taking back the swastika?

I bet there is a positive way of doing this.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

In America those lightening bolts are representations of White Power. Either these guys love Hitler, or are racists. Your guess is as good as mine.

somebody in this thread posted about having met black men in the service with these symbols on them. He re-posted a exact copy of the message about 4 times since he got no replies from anyone. Taking this into account it does not leave much to guess about concerning this.

Unless the poster was lying.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Rafe_ because: typo

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nuke_c

The Swastika belonged to a number of groups. Pre-Christian Europe, Native American, Buddhist.

The Lightning bolts are runes.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Basilis
I think the lightning bolt S looks cool. I wish I could use it without being labeled as a nazi sympathizing racist jew killer.

You know, you take away meaning from symbols when you use them for different reasons, why shouldn't we take the SS symbol and use it for what we want?

And how do you purpose to take way the meaning of these symbols out of half the worlds heads?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_

Originally posted by Basilis

And how do you purpose to take way the meaning of these symbols out of half the worlds heads?

Half the world doesn't know it. A small number do, and whenever they think that they can get their outrage on they do it.

People are far less familiar with the double lightning bolt than Hilter's mustache. Just like more people know about Brittney Spears panty malfunction than who the PM of the UK is.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
who gives a flying squirrels turd what flag a bunch of snipers are flying.
yet somehow i knew this would be a "huge deal" when i read it on the news feed.
what are we up to now? 21 pages?
going to have to try alot harder to "shock" or disgust" me.

these soldiers know what the SS symbolizes.
the army official in the article is just playing PR control.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Are we seriously supposed to believe that not one person in that unit was aware of the connotations of the symbols?

Really? Don't they teach military history in training?

My experience of soldiers is that most of them have some interest in past conflicts - or is that just a British thing?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

By explaining the true meaning of them. If what others have said is true, then the S is actually a runic symbol.

I'm just saying, if you see someone using a symbol, the SS for example, why not ask them about it? If they actually are nazi sympathizers, they'd probably say so if they'd be so brazen as to use it. On the other hand, if they just like the looks of it, what's the harm?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_

It's not about "taking out" meaning.

It's about education. It's about people knowing that during the World War 2 those 2 S's had a meaning inside the Nazi military, and knowing it has different meanings when used by somebody else in a different time period.

If those marines wanted to look like nazis, they would make an exact copy of the SS logo, and then they would pose with their right arms stretched up.

And by the way, these mentioned uniforms and whatnot weren't invented by the Nazis. Actually most of them come from Mussolini's "blackshirts" division. It was adapted to the "brownshirts" in Nazi Germany, and the black uniforms were used by the SS and other divisions. But most americans don't know about him, because it's not in a lot of movies. Italian history isn't all that interesting apparently.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

news.yahoo.com

The Marine Corps on Thursday once again did damage control after a photograph surfaced of a sniper team in Afghanistan posing in front of a flag with a logo resembling that of the notorious Nazi SS — a special unit that murdered millions of Jews, gypsies and others.

The Corps said in a statement that using the symbol was not acceptable.

However, it was a naive mistake made by Marines who believed the SS symbol was meant to represent sniper scouts and never intended to associate themselves with a racist organization, said Maj. Gabrielle Chapin, a spokeswoman at Camp Pendleton.
(visit the link for the full news article)

They thought the SS symbol was meant to represent sniper scouts !!!

Is that what they were taught when training, did they ever see it used back in the States? Didn't they learn about the 2nd World War at school?

[shakes head and hits reply]
edit on 10-2-2012 by eNaR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

ive said this before, they know what the SS was back in WW2 thats not why they are flying this flag or posed for this picture.

they are not trying to idolize the WaffenSS they are trying to use there SS symbol as something else. is there a set of rules that says you can't use the SS "lightening bolts" as something different then from what the Nazi's used it as

the Nazi's stole the swasticka from the hindu and used it as there flag, while the hindu use it as a religious symbol so why can't these Marine Scout Snipers use the SS symbol to signify Scout Sniper?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Do your high schools even teach about WW2? You guys didn't even get into the thing until near the end.

Excuse me. I am English. We were in the war from the beginning!

I left high school a long time ago and I suspect I know more about the war than most!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Intent is Everything.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join