It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Marines posed with Nazi symbol in Afghanistan

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
You guys are looking way to into this..

"SS" can be used for a lot of things. Heck, in football the strong safety is called the "SS". Is the NFL secretly a Nazi regime?!? I suppose KI"SS" is also trying to support a Nazi uprising?!

They obviously didnt want to put Sniper Scouts on their flag, so they shortned it to "SS" and gave it a cool font.

Brains, people.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chalupas

"SS" can be used for a lot of things. Heck, in football the strong safety is called the "SS". Is the NFL secretly a Nazi regime?!?

Yup.

And baseball fans counting strikes are all Klan member.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I see no problemm with this. I have a swastika tatood on my back, it is a symbol of good fortune for thousands of years and still quite prevelant in Eastern society. Hell its an actual letter in a few eastern cultures official language. The NAZIS lost becaquse they attempted to take a positive well meaning symbol and use it for their evil ways. No good fortune for them.

All I see is two lightning bolts on a blue flag,no biggie there.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Being an 8541 yes I believe they could have mistakenly thought it referred to "Scout Sniper", the flag did not belong to any of them did it...?

I like to think of myself as smart, but there are times when you dont catch something that is right in front of your face. Maybe it also has to do with age, I will be honest and tell you that if you showed me that same flag in the colors it is now I may not have been able to tell you it was Nazi. If the letters SS were in red I might have caught it.

So I might have made the same mistake unintentionally...lets give my fellow HOGS the benefit here of being naive.

Sniper

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

In video games sure the sniper is a complete waste as he's just trying to get as many kills as he can solo. In real life situations he is there to protect his squad mates and/or civilians from a hostile sniper or combatant.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

"Look at those weapons", you do realize that my younger brother has a equally if not better sniper rifle than I am issued...? The general public with a little money can better equip themselves with weapons lets say in a state like Florida than the average military ground trooper.

My little brother has a better suppressor than I do and a little better scope then we are issued...

Sniper

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by marinesniper0317

Exactly, they deserve the flak but for being stupid in the moment rather than anything else.

Unless anyone has information that could prove it was actually something sinister? That is the only thing that would put a different spin on it......

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

So what do you want to do... Hang them, fine them?

It's not up to me. It is up to US commanders and politicians to produce the image of their efforts to the effect of what they expect back from the international community. If they do nothing, then they are complacent and will be judged by the rest of the world for it.

Frankly, as a Canadian, the Afghan campaign is important to me and to anyone else in my field of study. Seeing Americans running around Afghanistan with SS flags is a major embarassment to the entire mission. It also begs for more ponderence on those instances of torture of Afghan detainees and execution of others (specifically one incident in the Afghan desert where a train loaded with prisoners was stopped and Afghan forces riddled the train cars with machinegun fire while CIA supervised- it even made the frontpage of the NYTimes).

I don't think so, it's a just a symbol people kill each other over.

And it is that difference in perception that separates the commanders from the soldiers. If you can't see the importance of a flag, then you probably won't find yourself commanding an operation in the name of your country- doing so requires a sense of the bigger (strategic) picture.

You are twisting words, the SS flag is not our national flag.

I never stated that it was anything other than that sniper team's own flag. I did state that the situation is extremely questionable that has allowed this team to adopt that symbol as their own, and even bothered to cover up their use of it as some innocent misunderstanding.

And quite frankly, the alliance between US and surviving Nazis was definitely there after the end of WWII (Operation Paperclip/Gladio), but it was swept under the carpet from common perception. Even with this as fact, what do you think American veterans who fought against the Nazis during WWII would say about this? What would the dead say?

I don't know if you have ever been to the US, but the Nazi's aren't commonly praised here. There are Neo-Nazi type gangs, mostly stemming from the prison system as a defense against blacks forming other gangs. There are Neo-Nazi's in America as well, there are also homosexuals, arabs, asians, polygamists, rocket scientists and idiots all the same, so what's your point? It's a free country and people generally do what they want, not all of them are smart or have everyone's best intentions in mind. There is racism in the world... surprise?

Why in the name of God would I ever go to your country? It is the epitome of decadence and quite honestly I probably wouldn't even make it out of the airport without creating an international incident. I'm doing just fine in my country where one can walk into the forest without ever running into some urban sprawl.

And what was my point? That neo-nazis exist in the US and that it would probably take neo-nazis to adopt a nazi symbol within the US military. Do you not find it disturbing that one of your deployed military units has adopted nazi symbolism?

Look at the logo of metallica (the band), imagine what an S would look like in that font. About the same as the SS logo no? With jagged ends to the letters, there is no other way of writing an S in this type of font. Metallica is the music some of these soldiers grew up on more than likely and as rebellious kids they probably altered their hand writing style to be more aggressive. Therefore, they have an affinity for aggressive penmanship when it comes to fighting, war, etc

You are really grasping at straws. WTF does Metallica have to do with this? Does Metallica kill people under the banner of the SS?

And by your description, I really hope that you don't listen to Metallica. Because I do and have been doing so for many years, and never has it lead me to even think of adopting Nazi symbolism in what I do.

It's entirely possible no one knew about, or failed to say anything about the fact that the SS had the same logo

You shouldn't even accept people into your military if they are of a mental level low enough to not know what the SS symbol is. I knew about the SS, Hitler, Stalin, Soviet counterattack to Berlin, etc, when I was learning how to count and spell in kindergarten (but then again, my father also lived through all of it so I wasn't raised to be stupid on the subject).
edit on 10-2-2012 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
They probably got it here:
www.keepshooting.com...

These are your future law enforcement recruits. It's obvious to see where this is heading. Bad times ahead..

edit on 2/10/2012 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If I did this, I would be fired from my job, and it wouldn't matter if I worked at mcdonalds, there would be no opportunity to explain. But then again, these guys do a very very important job. We can't really afford to lose any of our willingly trained killers. You know what they say, every drop of spilled blood counts!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Its probably already been posted in these 16 pages.

Of cause marines would pose with a Nazi symbol, as post WW2 america was built from the blood and knowledge of Nazi germany. Just remember that america took countless German military leaders and scientist from germany after WW2.
The third reich lives on and it is now the modern America.
Operation Paperclip, remember that. (If you dont, just google it.)

America wouldnt even have been in the space race had it not been for Nazi scientist like Von Braun.
Your american space shuttle should of had a Swastica on it.
So for me to see marines posing with another nazi symbol doesnt suprise me at all, it disgusts me, but doesn't suprise me.

edit on 10-2-2012 by WozaMeathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

That site is awesome.

All in one spot I can get a US flag, a Guevara flag, an Israel flag, a UN flag, a Soviet Union flag, A Nazi flag and a little pirate flag.

Most schizo shopping cart ever!
edit on 10-2-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Is it wrong?? no Is it in bad taste.. I think so. should anything be done about it? Well hopefully they just like how the ss looks and not like what the ss has been used in the past to represent.

I personally would not use it since what it is associated with is shameful

either these service men don't know , or care about who used the SS(nazis).

The SS was the german elite force right??

according to wikia this is their ideology

SS ideology
Main article: Ideology of the SS
In contrast to the Imperial military tradition, the nature of the SS was based on an ideology where commitment, effectiveness and political reliability, not class or education, would determine how far they succeeded in the organization.[8] The SS also stressed total loyalty and obedience to orders unto death. It became a powerful tool used by Hitler and the Nazi state for political ends. The SS ideology and values of the organization were one of the main reasons why the SS was entrusted with the execution of many Nazi atrocities and war crimes of the Nazi state.

Their ideology is not really bad. It was just a tool. Which is basically what those marines are a... a tool.

Our government is what directs their actions. All they do is obey. kinda like the ss did under the nazis.. Not saying it is right, just the way it is
edit on 10-2-2012 by votan97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Originally posted by R3velutionR3quired
Respect to them, theve got serious go nads lol

I respect their skills, but there is no courage in being a sniper IMO.

Snipers are a vital tool for various purposes including special missions and protecting fellow servicemen, but I don't agree with the concept. But most of you will call me a peace loving hippie for not being down with the war mongering.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: grammer

As a former Marine, let me begin quickly by saying if anyone have massive jewels in the military, it is the sniper community. Going out in 2 man teams for weeks on end into enemy territory, living on rocks, hillside, or wherever, in harsh environments. Most grunts (infantry mos) live on fobs or patrol bases in afghanistan with their platoon or company. Snipers don't really get that luxury.

Now, as for the subject at hand, look, alot of people on this website are just drooling and waiting for one little hiccup from the military and jump on the "everyone is a nazi' band wagon.' The men in the picture are Scout Snipers. S. S. Not Hitler's SS, not some evil men parading around a desert. The Military isn't evil, the troops aren't evil. I've been over to Afghanistan, I've been blown up, I've watched friends pass and I've taken names. We are just like every other American, we want to be with out families and friends. We aren't over there killing civilians for fun. We dig bombs out of the ground and shoot when we get shot at, and that's life.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
The swastika was taken from something more peacful and made into a bloody thing.

So what's the big deal? We know what it stands for.. and it's NOT the Nazi SS.

Please... Nit pick much?

Did you not look at the picture? It's not the swastika (and even if it was, that would be worse). It's the SS symbol. The two lightning bolts.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
double post
edit on 2/10/2012 by OrphenFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm just gonna be honest right away and say that I haven't read most of the replies in here. 300+ replies is simply too much when most of them are not about the real issues.

The matter of fact is that people don't understand what goes around the minds and spirits of these guys when in combat. Unless you have been there your-self, there is no way you can judge their behavior. Sometimes soldiers do stupid things just to relieve stress, and if you consider where that stress comes from, it's not that hard to understand why sometimes we see stupid actions from this guys.

However, that's not the same as calling them stupid, or ignorant like many people have stated. And as a warning, I'm not defending their actions, nor justifying them, whatever they are. I simply try to understand why people do the things they do before actually starting to judge them.

And let's be honest. What's the problem? The fact that there is a possible nazi flag in the background? So what? How many american citizens, who fiercely defend their homeland and their rights, don't also have this kind of stuff in their own bedrooms? How many don't actually own nazi stuff, like actual flags and uniforms? There are even neo-nazi rallies around the world, and we are taught to respect them for this is a free world (in theory), as much as we dislike it.

If we ask these marines if they did it on purpose, and if they were trying to portray something related to the nazi SS, and they answer "no", I will take their word for it, because they are the ones who understand the real meaning behind what they did. Not you, not me, not anyone else but them. And the only people they have to answer to, are their superiors, who have already started handling this in the proper manner (inside doors).

People need to calm down and stop seeing problems where they don't exist. The main problem with marines having this picture is the fact that they are fighting THERE in the first place.

I hate this constant bashing of soldiers and the military, instead of helping and defending them.

These are the fathers, sons, brothers and friends of every single one of you, and they have the job of defending your land and your soul from anyone who wants to hurt it. They will die for you if the need arises. Honor them, help them, and defend them with words when the world is trying to fall on top of them.

It's utterly unfair how these guys get treated around the world and by their fellow citizens just because the governments don't know how to use US finest. Same with cops, same with any authority figure made up by citizens who have the desire of protecting their own people and their nation.

Don't fail them. Don't call them nazis, don't put them in a public square to be judge and mistreated when they have to deal with colossal amounts of stress on a daily basis.

If they act in any wrong way, slap their hands. Ban the wrong-doers within the military, punish them, and protect those who are innocent. Don't drag the name and honor of many in the mud, just because of the actions of a few.

You don't like to be called "ignorant, stupid americans" because of stereotypes around the world. Then why are you promoting that among yourself's?

This isn't such a big deal. So many people watch WW2 movies, and play WW2 games. Some even make you play as a nazi, some even portray stories and details about the Nazi regime. Do you have problems with that? If no, then why are these guys being treated in such a bad manner when they have even stated it has nothing to do with the Nazi SS.

It's just a cool logo. Personally, I even think that the German uniforms (the black ones) are the coolest we have ever seen in armed forces. Does that mean I'm a nazi? Liking their logos means that I like their ideology?

NO. And people should be aware of that and see simple things as they are: simple.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
By the way:

People are judging these guys associating them with Nazis.

It's funny if you think that many of them (in the US military) actually are from the same families of heroes that died fighting the actual Nazi regime during WW2.

If I was one of these guys, I would be terribly offended just by the statement being made.

Your concepts of honor would be put to shame when compared to most of these guys family past.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
IT DOESNT MATTER! I am so sick of hearing people bitch about this stuff.

ITS CALLED WAR!

All is fair in Love and War. Plain and simple. There is nothing pleasant, graceful, happy or positive about war and death other than it forces change. When your job is to kill day in and day out - you have to find some way of 'grounding' yourself: keeping sane. And to these men, this picture is a statement of honer or something, whatever, that is meaningful.........TO THEM! NOT US. We are not there. We do not know what is going on.
And the whole "NAZI" card has been waaaaaaaaaay over played.

Get over it.
Grow up.

Deal with it!

Rape and murder happen every day....annnnd I dont see those things getting this kind of exposure...

:shk: hmmm.....
edit on 10/2/12 by ThatGuy45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I cannot believe the comments on this thread AT ALL! I am SHOCKED that anyone would try to justify or preach acceptance to these marines using this symbolism...WTF!?!?!??

Has our society really gotten to this point? That this type of symbolic representation is deemed ..meh. shrug...its all good...they have big nads
and dont be so Nit Picky? Really!? Does anyone read anymore?

Have we collectively forgotten Auschwitz-Birkenau? Treblinka? Sobibor? Or is it that we simply dont give a # anymore? Maybe its high time for some educational viewing to remind us just what these things stand for NOW not yesterday, not a thousand years ago...Now. I would post some of that educational material but guess what? It is SO BAD that I would probably be banned for doing so.

I don't care if they were borrowed from ancient religions. I don't care if they used to represent faery dust and gumdrop kisses! In lieu of certain not so trivial events of historical significance, those symbols, recycled or otherwise, single-handedly represent one the worst tragedies in modern history, are a summation of Nazi ideologies, and through their use an acceptance of those ideologies. PERIOD.

There is no semantic argument to it, there is no justification, there is not one god da## thing you can say to make what is shown in that picture OK. NOT ONE. I am green with disgust and shame.

.....gah.

ETA:

Originally posted by ThatGuy45
ITS CALLED WAR! And to these men, this picture is a statement of honer or something, whatever, that is meaningful.........TO THEM! NOT US. We are not there. We do not know what is going on.
And the whole "NAZI" card has been waaaaaaaaaay over played.

Get over it.
Grow up.

Deal with it!

I COULD JUST PUKE!!
edit on 10-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join