It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Balls------New Energy Device?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is really an amazing little object. Someone here has to be able to figure out how to get these things to spin forever. It's nuts!
How could you generate some electricity from these?

The 'Hurricane Balls' consist of two ball bearings welded together by passing 800 Amps through them. If you spin the Hurricane Balls on a smooth surface, you can use the plastic pipe to blow at one side of the Hurricane Balls. Not only does this keeps them spinning, you can accelerate them up to incredible speeds. Speeds of 12,000 rpm have been recorded for the Hurricane Balls using a laboratory strobe light.

At home, it is possible to use a tv as a simple stroboscope. Dr Adam Chalcraft writes "I can easily get a speed of 3600 RPM, and more to the point I can easily measure this, by putting the top in front of my (NTSC) TV in a dark room. As it runs down, I can clearly see 60Hz, 30Hz, 20Hz and so on. Of course if you try it in front of a PAL TV (in the UK) you will see 50Hz, 25Hz and so on." Thanks for that, Adam.

Any smooth surface will work for spinning on, but the very best is a concave mirror, e.g. those round, magnifying bathroom mirrors.

Once the Hurricane Balls are spinning, you can then use the coloured LED torches to illuminate them, with different colours at different angles. In a darkened room, the effect is magical!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You can purchase them here, I am getting some for sure: www.grand-illusions.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

How could you generate some electricity from these?

By using a wind turbine instead of the balls?

If you spin the Hurricane Balls on a smooth surface, you can use the plastic pipe to blow at one side of the Hurricane Balls. Not only does this keeps them spinning, you can accelerate them up to incredible speeds.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

As fast as they are spinning couldn't we figure out a way to harness the wind to blow back on them and keep them spinning?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It just seems too amazing, and there has to be some other potential uses for this device.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

You would get less energy out of it than you put into it. The balls on glass works as a pretty low friction bearing but there is still friction.

It's a toy. Not a useful device.
edit on 2/9/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Killjoy!!!

I'd buy some because the value appears to come from the fact they're just cool!

But yeah in terms of creating energy I think there would be little use, any method applied to gather energy would cancel out the motion..

Maybe if I use magnets....

edit on 9-2-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

You just don't see this type of device in any other device out there. I'm telling you if those things can spin for 3 minutes they have some very unique qualities. We need George Washington Carver to play with these and find some uses-a new GWC...

Maybe magnets are the key. Once they are fused one side would be north, the other south.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

kay but what about putting them in a vacuum? Wouldn't that give these things a longer spin?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

You wouldnt be able to blow them in a vacuum as there would be no air.

Theres no free energy to be gained in these toys like Phage said. But they look like fun

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
reply to post by Phage

kay but what about putting them in a vacuum? Wouldn't that give these things a longer spin?

How would you blow on the hurricane balls if they were in a vacuum?

As someone else mentioned, they are a toy, not an energy source.
edit on 9-2-2012 by boncho because: clarify

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

After I posted that I knew...
I am just brainstorming, but as usual there is no thinking minds here. People are only good at flipping through threads to say "no can't be done"...Blah Blah, What about Ed Leedskalnin? Tesla? They were crazy too.
It's people who think outside of the box, and add an additional idea that makes a great product believable.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It's nothing to do with people not having thinking minds.
If something can't be done it can't.
Tesla was crazy, but as far as I know, he didn't use toys to produce electric.

new topics

top topics

join