It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Citing material from books you read

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What's the protocol here?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I haven't seen an official ATS protocol on quoting books, but when I do I state the name of the book, author, year of publication, page number, and any information that may be helpful for someone to verify the source of the material.

Sometimes a book may be online also, so I will give a link to the book as well when available.

This issue is something that I'm curious about as well, as I am an avid reader, and find alot of interesting information in books that isn't available online. I would also like to know if there are any additional requirements needed when posting information from a book that doesn't appear to be online.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Posting Work Written by Others...

Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

Place ALL external material inside [ ex] quotes [ /ex] (remove space) AND post book name, author and publisher....
edit on February 9th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Ex tags for the quote.

Then list the source: Author. Title of the work. If you wrote a term paper in college, or even high school, same drill.

People just need to know which was your writing, and which was the source material.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Captain Obvious here,

to be honest, most of my knowledge comes from books. At an early age I was send to school and they had all these books filled with facts that I had to learn. Strictly speaking, if I state that 1+1=2 (which I learned from a math book) I have to link to the source?

Peace

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

You should be able to comprehend the difference between a mathematical fact and a written work.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
Strictly speaking, if I state that 1+1=2 (which I learned from a math book) I have to link to the source?
This guide on avoiding plagiarism gives some advice on that topic:

How to Avoid Plagiarism

What Plagiarism Isn’t

1) Common knowledge. One important thing to know is that information considered common knowledge or in the “public domain” does not need to be cited. Certain facts are so well-known that you don’t need to worry about finding verification. For example, saying that “the sun rises in the East and sets in the West” or that there are “fifty states in America” need not be cited.
Your example would be considered "common knowledge". Determining where the cutoff is in which knowledge is considered common may take some judgement, but if in doubt, personally I'd provide a source.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
As I told one of my online professors who insisted on citations in eclassroom board posts a turabian bbcode of sorts for citing media would be greatly appreciated. Everything in its tidy neat right place.

new topics

top topics

join