It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laura Dekker is a fraud - Reason why Guiness and WSSRC didn't accepted her "record"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
So when sailing around the world single handed
does'nt mean you have to have one arm tied behind your back ?
Sh*t wait til I see our Paddy !!!!
No wonder, I had to give up a mile from the finishing line, turn back and come home !

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
After reviewing the video again - without the benefit of being able to speak Dutch, several more things caught my attention.

Her hair appears to be washed and she appears to be wearing makeup - both incredibly hard things to do on a boat even in port. She also appears to be none the worse for wear for her "ordeal" - showing no signs of discomfort at all.

There is no salt buildup on the deck, and the hatch leading below in the middle of the deck appears to be remarkably clean, as do the sails, winches, rope and the windows on the cockpit canopy.

I can't believe that this was supposedly shot during a solo round the world sail.

Body language is also very telling, she looks up and to the left quite a bit, something any psychologist will tell you is a surefire sign of lying.
edit on 9-2-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

No.

The Guinness Book of Records did not acknowledge Laura Dekker's feat because she was under the age of 16 when she first embarked on her voyage.

The reason why ''Guinness'' don't accept potential record entries into their book from children is purely to prevent some kind of ''Jackass'' mimicry, or the equivalent.

Having had a look at the ''WSSRC'' website, which stands for the ''World Sailing Speed Record Council'', then it's no wonder that she wouldn't feature.

Unsurprisingly, that council notes speed sailing records, yet the Dutch girl wasn't trying to get anywhere near a record circumnavigation of the world - in terms of time - so why would she be even mentioned on that website, anyway?

edit on 9-2-2012 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
After reviewing the video again - without the benefit of being able to speak Dutch, several more things caught my attention.

Her hair appears to be washed and she appears to be wearing makeup - both incredibly hard things to do on a boat even in port. She also appears to be none the worse for wear for her "ordeal" - showing no signs of discomfort at all.

There is no salt buildup on the deck, and the hatch leading below in the middle of the deck appears to be remarkably clean, as do the sails, winches, rope and the windows on the cockpit canopy.

I can't believe that this was supposedly shot during a solo round the world sail.

Body language is also very telling, she looks up and to the left quite a bit, something any psychologist will tell you is a surefire sign of lying.
edit on 9-2-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

Once again, you are all landlubbers, you don't have the faintest clue what you are talking about. She's not wearing makeup. You can wash your hair on a boat, or even put on makeup. It is not an "ordeal". You keep the boat clean while running if you want to make it home. And it is a BRAND NEW BOAT.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
What next?
The first 6 year old to sail around the world?
I see some dead kids in the future if Guiness allows this to be an achievement.
Why do we want our babies braving the elements just for 15 minutes of fame?
What a stupid thing to do.

I feel sorry for your "babies" and the lack of life they will have. You should just keep them locked in the house until they are eighteen, that way they will be SAFE, not "braving the elements".

Of course, once they are eighteen, you must let them out. Since they will have not the faintest clue about anything, due to your keeping them "safe" all that time, they will probably be run down in traffic immediately, not knowing how to cross the street or anything. But, at least you kept them "safe" as long as you could.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Robin Lee Graham, started at age sixteen: www.bluemoment.com...

Slocum, first man to circumnavigate singlehanded: www.joshuaslocumsocietyintl.org...

Tania Aebi: OK, she was 18: taniaaebi.com...

Here's some more. According to this, Robin Lee Graham still holds the record for youngest: www.joshuaslocumsocietyintl.org...

Here was a sixteen year old trying to break the record. Didn't make it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Apparently this dude now holds the record: www.zacsunderland.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thank you captchaos for talking some sense into these people. I don't have the experience to get technical with them and was waiting for someone with extensive experience to chime in.

It's a basic case of someone talking about something they know nothing about, and claiming to be an expert.

All I can say to these people bashing on her is, go out and do something yourselves. Learn to sail and see just how easy it is.

Give up the jealousy that some young girl did something you could not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join