It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laura Dekker is a fraud - Reason why Guiness and WSSRC didn't accepted her "record"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
quote from yt - introduction:

She is not alone on that boat, just one example: At 0:36 she obviously speaks to the cameraholder, there is even a whispering as an answer ( like "don`t look at me, don`t ruin that now!")

But now everybody is satisfied:

The media had their top story, you got your hero, and the Dekkers can promote that # -Congratulations!!

*note* i just translateda part of the article...there are a lot of details - besides i am no expert and i just want to share this conspiracy-fraud-story with you, so dont blame me for the claims*

more evidence: pictures from very curios angles...read the article =)

german source with all the details: kopp-online.com... (from Gerhard Wisnewski - one of the best investigative journalist in germany)
edit on 9-2-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
you're making a lot of statements there....have you ever even been on a sailboat? it is perfectly possible for 1 person to "drive" a sailboat.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

have you even read the article...
or watched the video -.-

but i edited this claim out because i am no expert and i cannot translate all of the claims with the details needed to understand them...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You do realise she did have different people along for certain parts of the trip right ? e.g your reference to the panama canal - this was a safety issue for her. She has never denied having people on board.

What makes you think she can't sail a yacht by herself ?
I know younger people who are quite capable of the task.
When you grow up in a sailing family, you learn how to sail without brute strength.
Which parts of this particular yacht require a level of strength a 14 year old girl does not posess?
Please elaborate.
If you're talking about ropes/pulleys, you do realise modern technology has taken the need for strength out of sailing right ?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

i am no expert - and the experts are curious about that (especially the details)...besides "taken out" is a bit far fetched...and we are talking about sailing around the world on high sea and not "sailing"

read the article with a translator - there are a lot of details - details from experts (seems liek you have some knowledge so it will be interesting for you)...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Experts ?

Please, I posed a few questions to you in my previous response, if you could try to answer any of them, I'll be impressed.

I would specifically like you to elaborate on why you think a 14 yr old girl is incapable of sailing a yacht by herself. I have tried translating the report you linked in google translate, but it all comes up a gibberish, and is barely understandable.

I know younger people who can sail match racing yachts.

I don't know the girl who sailed, and I really couldnt' care less about her record, but the claims made in the OP are so outlandish I couldn't resist posting.

edit on 9/2/2012 by Dachende because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

i have absoluty nothing to do with th claims or sailing, never sailed or something - watch the video, its the best proof....the rest is just supporting evidence

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalshredmetal
you're making a lot of statements there....have you ever even been on a sailboat? it is perfectly possible for 1 person to "drive" a sailboat.

It is perfectly possible, but it takes a lot of knowledge and major outlay of effort, and several major modifications to be able to do this, especially on such a venture as a round the world voyage.

None of these modifications appear to have been done to the boat she used. If you look at pictures and video of other adventurers returning from round the world sailing trips, even with more than one person, they are frail, exhausted, and tend to have lost quite a bit of weight.

None of which appears to have happened in this case. For a round the world sail a 14 year old would have to be pretty much on her toes 24 hours a day for the whole trip, taking a major toll on her body and mind.

None of these signs appear to be showing.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The boat appears to be exceptionally clean and in exceptionally good shape for a boat with only a 14 year old on board and on a round the world trip.

The absence of any sort of wear or tear on the deck at all would be the most telling part of this story for me.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen

have you even read the article...
or watched the video -.-

but i edited this claim out because i am no expert and i cannot translate all of the claims with the details needed to understand them...

yes i watched and read, but they have absolutely nothing to do with some of the haphazard statements you made in the OP.

don't speak through ignorance..especially don't speak about topics you know nothing about, it makes you look foolish and in certain contexts it will instantly discredit you.

haha, there's no (*cue eerie sound effects*) "mind control" involved in ACCURACY.

thats all..
edit on 2/9/12 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

i am sorry if i mistranslated something but please tell me what you claims do you mean because there is absolutly nothing i added by myself, just translated the claims in short stated in the article...Oo

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
i deleted all the details because due to translation they may sounded too generous and i have nothing to do with them besides i have no clue about sailing - the video is the main point and there are tonns of supporting evidence stated in the article, claims made by experts...not me

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

I really couldn't give a flying fudge about this story, I was just erred by your use of non-knowledge. you've since edited your post so I am unable to refer to what you said.,

by making it your post and publishing it without reference to your "translations", then the reader has no option but to assume they are your statements.

and why do you care so much about this story?

it's apparent you're not a sailboat enthusiast, why do you care so much about this girl that it drives you to make a thread, call her a "fraud", and then continue to expend energy in order to make her seem fraudulent?

you're motivated to discredit her, but you don't know her personally and have only 3rd and 4th person accounts of her sailing experience? why do you even care so much?

this doesn't matter at all.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

pFF - since when do i have to be an astophysicist to present some new storys in the field...or a security expert to show a false-flag story...

and i dont care - i just wanted to share information - compelling information because there are a lot of details and the video is really curious...

babybunnies stated some more detail...

why are you so ethusiastic to "debunk" the story...your getting personal...stay by the facts....i see you didn't took the time to put the article in a translator and read it...if so you should have understood what i wrote...

and you could see that sailing-ethustasts are the people who are curious about that story...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
What next?
The first 6 year old to sail around the world?
I see some dead kids in the future if Guiness allows this to be an achievement.
Why do we want our babies braving the elements just for 15 minutes of fame?
What a stupid thing to do.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
These conspiracies turn up everywhere, don't they?

I bet she never landed on the Moon either.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

like i said, i don't care about this story or you, i was only erred by the incorrect and inaccurate information that you published..I didn't mean to give you a hard time.

i find it curious when people put so much (negative/hateful/fearful) energy into discrediting someone who they have NO connection to.

no amount of discredition or support of this story will change you or your life in any way. , therefore i see no reason to invest energy in it.

like i said, i don't care about this.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

worst disinfo ever...if you dont care why did you even posted something O.o and if your intention was the one you stated, you have to post a lot of (unnessesary) posts here...nonsense - and if you dont cae please leave the thread -.- you already destroyed it because all the atention is now on your secound post and ah whatever...if you didnt care you would never posted here...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
i'd get on the boat with her in a few years.... fraud or not

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
OK I have to chime in. I've been on boats since I was in diapers. I could swim before I could walk. I could sail a dinghy by myself when I was five. I've been sailing and racing boats ever since. I have crossed the Pacific and the Atlantic twice, the first time when I was 13. I have won the Bermuda race three times. I stopped counting after I topped 100 thousand miles at sea. I got a Merchant Marine Officer's ticket when I was eighteen, and was a professional captain for over twenty five years. Just to say, I have a LOT of experience. You would call me an expert. Far beyond that even.

This is no big deal. That is called a Treadmaster deck on the boat in that video, it's indestructible. Boats do not get battered and fall apart from sailing, barring huge storms. Even then, it's not like it rots away. The boat would of course be in fine condition after a circumnavigation, it's a brand new boat. The crew usually hold up quite well also. I usually feel far MORE rested after a long trip, standing watches and being up at all hours, than after a forty hour work week under flourescent lights.

A fourteen year old could easily handle a dinky 34 foot boat. Even a girl. Boats have these radical things called winches that multiply your strength. They invented them thousands of years ago, this is not modern technology. It might take a little girl longer to crank in the jibsheet, but she is not in a race here.

No one is permitted to singlehand through the Panama Canal. Duh. You MUST have at least four people on board to handle lines in the locks. All three times I've been through it, I went ahead and hired a local pilot. It is not mandatory, nor do I need his help, but makes all the locals happy and gets you through smoothly.

Going through the Canal is kind of cheating for a circumnavigation. But, it keeps you in the tropics. Apparently none of you know what the Southern Ocean is. Between Antarctica and the tips of South America (Cape Horn) and Africa (Cape of Good Hope) there is a thousand mile wide band of water around the whole planet. Waves build up due to three things: wind speed, duration of wind in the same direction, and FETCH, or the distance the waves have to build up. This is why the waves are so big in the ocean, and will never get that big in LI Sound or SF Bay; not enough fetch. Even here in the Caribbean, we have about a thousand miles of fetch, so the waves can't really get that big. In the Southern Ocean, you have unlimited fetch. There is nothing to stop the wind or the waves all the way around the world. You can count on at least fifty foot waves on a calm day, and those who don't know how big waves are, that is HUGE. You would probably wet your pants and then die of a heart attack if you EVER saw one. You can add in icebergs and subzero temp year round. IT"S GNARLY DOWN THERE.

There are several round the world races. Fully crewed, monohull, multihull. Even a single handed one. These are grown men, but there are women in it too. And we are talking boats around six times the size of that dinky Jeanneau. They do NOT go through the Canal. Most of the race is IN the Southern Ocean. They alll make it without being worn out and starved like you all seem to think someone would be from such a trip. This little girl spent 500 days at sea. The record is down well under eighty days now.

I also think she just may not have a record. First of all, 500 days is over a year. If she is fourteen, she must have started when she was TWELVE. I don't think so. And I think going through the Canal is sort of cheating.

A kid named Robin something did it singlehanded at age 16, a long time ago. That was the record. Google "Voyage of the Lonesome Dove" A man named Joshua Slocum was the first person known that did it, over a hundred years ago. No winches, no engine, no GPS, no depthfinder. All old school. Big deal, you say? HE WAS EIGHTY YEARS OLD. Google him if you want a GREAT story.

A girl named Tania Aebi did it in the eighties at age 16. That was the standing record. I believe she was almost twenty by the time she finished.

Sailing around the world is a big deal, but it is nowhere near as big a deal as you landlubbers think it is. That is, for someone experienced. You all would probably die out there, I'm not kidding. Me, I would think nothing of crossing the ocean in a freaking canoe with a blue plastic tarp for a sail. I KNOW I would make it.

That article in German was written by an idiot who does not have the faintest clue about a boat. Does not know the pointy end from the flat end, I can tell from the article, even a garbled Google translation of it. That was written by a landlubber who does not know what he's talking about. However, I do. There is no fraud here, there is no guy hiding behind the camera, that is freaking ridiculous. I think going through the Canal makes it not valid.
edit on 9-2-2012 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join