It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Quest for the Comfortable Handgun

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hey there!

I made this thread under off topic General Entertainment as I don't think it is just general chit chat (might be) and certainly is not survival. I have always liked weapons and grew up with them. When I got married, my wife did not like guns (issues with her boyfriend previous to me). So I had always kept my gun in the safe, it is an old Falcon Revolver.

The reason for the thread is because we have been married for quite some time and she is more comfortable with guns. About 9 years ago, we went to a firing range and fired some guns that were provided (this will be important to my post in a minute). Now don't get me wrong, I like weapons, but I am not the Mr. Know It All of weapons. I grew up with mainly rifles and 22 caliber pistols.

So, with her now more comfortable, I went and bought the Ruger SR9C 9mm that I have always wanted. I got it because it is a compact and has a small magazine, but I can also put the extended magazine in it. I chose this over the SR9. It is a nice weapon, but the recoil is not what I expected (don't get me wrong, I can handle the recoil, but thought it would be less). When we were at the range some years ago, I fired the Beretta Double Action 9mm. After the first round, the rest seemed to flow out nice and even and and did not seem to have this kind of recoil. I am just firing the Federal rounds at the range.

So I guess I am looking for a handgun (bigger than a 22 and non revolver) that has a style like the Ruger SR9C. I looked at the Springfield, with the handle safety. Maybe I should just look up the Beretta again, don't really know. I know I have more reading to do, but thought I would post this to get your thoughts. I know I have seen many posts from people here that like their guns (that seem to know what they are talking about) and thought you might be able to enlighten me a little bit.

Thanks for reading and responding if you do.

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I have a Springfield SA-XD .45 and I love it. It fits my hand better than the 9mm Berreta. Kimber also make some very nice handguns.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've owned a few revolvers, mainly because I could see if something went wrong, whereas with a .9 mm, you have so many moving parts inside that something could jam in the worst possible moment. I loved my S&W 6 inch .357 mag, but when I got one with a shorter barrel, I liked the balance and weight a lot more. When used in conjunction with .38 hollowpoints and focused on major areas of juncture like shoulderblades, knees, hips or neck, the resulting impact is rather explosive. I had to drive through a very rough side of town every morning at 4 or so, and even the cops didn't go there without their pistols out and on their laps facing out. Scary days then, and I'm glad I don't do that anymore. I'm sure that handguns are far better now, and there are a larger variety out there. Depending on the size of your hand and your personal strength, manufacturers also make guns that are geared towards women now with and without the pretty colors. My ex bought his daughter a pink .22 rifle for her birthday... at least she won't loose it when she goes hunting. If I got a pink gun, I'd shoot the idiot who gave it to me. I may be a female, but I'm not a princess.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I recommend the following as I did for my sister:

- Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm
- Springfield XD Compact 9mm
- Glock Model 19 Compact 9mm
- Glock Model 26 Sub Compact 9mm
- SIG P239 Compact .40 cal

She loved all five and ended up with the Glock Model 19 because it fit her hand the best. I also recommend finding a place that will let you try before you buy or an indoor pistol range that has gun rentals.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Love the Springfield armory xd pistols !! The xd 45 is awsome!! I have shot my dads xdm40 comPact and his xdm 9mm. The 9mm is wickedly accurate !!! And recoil is minimum

The only thing you have to get used to is the safety. And when friends shoot the gun at the range I have to explane to them how it works

Be safe people

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Comfortable hand gun? The one that felt like it was just a part of me was the S&W .357. The rest were just "others". That said I haven't fired a Beretta. I hear good things about them though.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IwasOnceHappy

There are many good guns and even more great guns.
Not only the trick is finding a gun that feels good but us reloading types have what we call a "Cadillac load".
Once you pair these 2 together it is a sweet thing to do.
Try out many rounds and once you find your cadillac load figure out several things about it.
Bullet weight, type, powder charge and type and start reloading em.
With the beretta you may have experienced a cadillac ride, not everybody gets one.

edit on 9-2-2012 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
I have a Springfield SA-XD .45 and I love it. It fits my hand better than the 9mm Berreta. Kimber also make some very nice handguns.

Thanks for the information usmc0311! I will look at the Kimber and see what that is about, I have not heard about them. I am not the most knowledgeable person

I am looking at the Springfield XD(M) right now. I just wish there were places you could "test them out". The range I went to long ago had some guns like the Beretta, but not a wide variety.

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
I've owned a few revolvers, mainly because I could see if something went wrong, whereas with a .9 mm, you have so many moving parts inside that something could jam in the worst possible moment. I loved my S&W 6 inch .357 mag, but when I got one with a shorter barrel, I liked the balance and weight a lot more. When used in conjunction with .38 hollowpoints and focused on major areas of juncture like shoulderblades, knees, hips or neck, the resulting impact is rather explosive. I had to drive through a very rough side of town every morning at 4 or so, and even the cops didn't go there without their pistols out and on their laps facing out. Scary days then, and I'm glad I don't do that anymore. I'm sure that handguns are far better now, and there are a larger variety out there. Depending on the size of your hand and your personal strength, manufacturers also make guns that are geared towards women now with and without the pretty colors. My ex bought his daughter a pink .22 rifle for her birthday... at least she won't loose it when she goes hunting. If I got a pink gun, I'd shoot the idiot who gave it to me. I may be a female, but I'm not a princess.

Thanks for the reply volatox! My wife is now more comfortable and we went to the range last night. She agreed to firing a couple rounds from my gun. She may be asking for more insight from the board as after she was done with the clip, she turned her head to me and asked if we had more rounds. I have to tell you, that put a smile on my face.

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

If you have a Sprinfield authorized dealer near you they can probably facilitate a test fire for you. or you could go to the local range periodically and see if anyone is shooting them.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire

She loved all five and ended up with the Glock Model 19 because it fit her hand the best. I also recommend finding a place that will let you try before you buy or an indoor pistol range that has gun rentals.

Thanks for the reply KnightFire! I think I may call around to see if the ranges have any of the Springfield to test fire. Do local gun shops usually allow you to test fire guns? I could ask the shop I got my gun from. There is an outdoor range around the corner, and there is the range that I go to about 15 minutes away. The one I go to has a couple guns there, but not many. I may try to fire a Glock there as they do have one, but I never really thought a Glock was for me. I just thought they were a little bulky, buit it has been quite a few years since I held them.

Now the SIG is interesting. I will have to look at it, I heard about them but have never seen one up close or held one.

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311

If you have a Sprinfield authorized dealer near you they can probably facilitate a test fire for you. or you could go to the local range periodically and see if anyone is shooting them.

That is a good idea. I will find out, I live in Kentucky. The range I go to has many members, and also on Thursdays they have a match, so I could go that day to ask the owner if anyone has one.

Thanks,

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave
Love the Springfield armory xd pistols !! The xd 45 is awsome!! I have shot my dads xdm40 comPact and his xdm 9mm. The 9mm is wickedly accurate !!! And recoil is minimum

The only thing you have to get used to is the safety. And when friends shoot the gun at the range I have to explane to them how it works

Be safe people

Thanks for the reply viperdave! It would seem many people like the Springfield, I will have to defiantly check it out!

Thanks,

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Comfortable hand gun? The one that felt like it was just a part of me was the S&W .357. The rest were just "others". That said I haven't fired a Beretta. I hear good things about them though.

Thanks for replying intrepid! You know, my coworker and I talked the other day, she feels the same way. She named her .357 "Tom" and said "That's the only man I want!"
She is going to a class now for her CCW.

The Beretta was nice, it was called the "Policemans best friend" or something like that (the range people called it that). It has the regular pull for the first shot (kind of like making sure you REALLY want to fire it) then the rest of the shots fire out soft and quick.

Thanks,

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

There are many good guns and even more great guns.
Not only the trick is finding a gun that feels good but us reloading types have what we call a "Cadillac load".
Once you pair these 2 together it is a sweet thing to do.
Try out many rounds and once you find your cadillac load figure out several things about it.
Bullet weight, type, powder charge and type and start reloading em.
With the beretta you may have experienced a cadillac ride, not everybody gets one.

edit on 9-2-2012 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for replying g146541! You are probably correct, I probably got the Cadillac ride on that one. It was really nice.

Thanks,

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Sorry about taking up alot of space and many posts, I just wanted to reply to each of you to make sure you knew I appreciated your responses and views!

Thanks,

IWOH

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by IwasOnceHappy

I carried the SIG P239 for a few years until I switched to the Springfield XD compact. The SIG is slinder and fits right up against your waist and you'll never know it's there.

I used the Glock 26 to carry around my angle, perfect gun for that type of conceilment.

I saw someone mentioned a Kimber. Kimbers are also excellent guns, but do you want your wife carrying around a $1200 - $1500 handgun? I wouldn't.

Every gunshop is different. Some have ranges and most don't. Best thing to do is call around as you said you were going to do.

I agree, Glocks are a little bulky, but very good guns. The Model 19 isn't as bulky as models 17 and 22. Best thing is to look and feel and one that has a good record.

edit on 9-2-2012 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I carried the SIG P239 for a few years until I switched to the Springfield XD compact. The SIG is slinder and fits right up against your waist and you'll never know it's there.

I used the Glock 26 to carry around my angle, perfect gun for that type of conceilment.

I saw someone mentioned a Kimber. Kimbers are also excellent guns, but do you want your wife carrying around a $1200 - $1500 handgun? I wouldn't.

Every gunshop is different. Some have ranges and most don't. Best thing to do is call around as you said you were going to do.

I agree, Glocks are a little bulky, but very good guns. The Model 19 isn't as bulky as models 17 and 22. Best thing is to look and feel and one that has a good record.

edit on 9-2-2012 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

I have two pawn shops and a gun shop around me, so there are no ranges (in their stores) to fire there. The gun shop I go to, they are pretty nice and I know the family, so I may just go ahead and ask the owner if he has any that we can test fire at the range. The range is only 15-20 minutes away as the gun shop is right down the road from me, literally.

I will check out the Model 19 Glock. The SIG sounds like it may be a good fit also, and the Springfield. I think I will also take the advice above and find out if there are any Springfield representatives here so I can travel to test them.

I didn't know the Kinder costs so much. I was flipping through a couple magazines I had and saw the small compact Kinder 9mm's. I didn't even notice them until usmc mentioned them. If it is a quality gun and my wife finds it comfortable, I would save up for it. Not that I have the cash to just buy anything right now.

Thanks again!

IWOH

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Howdy everyone!

I spent yesterday in a training class for a CCDW. It was an all day event and then we had the range afterwards. I found the instructor to be pretty funny and helped the class understand the local and federal laws.

In the class, I met another person that shared some information with me about a range/shop that is about an hour to an hour and a half away from me. I think it is what I am looking for (in a day trip). They are a gun shop so they have the many types of weapons (they do carry the Springfield's and Glock's) and they are also a range and will let you test fire weapons to see if they have the feel you're looking for.

Apparently, this is a well known range as once or twice a year they allow people to come in and shoot their machine guns (you have to buy their ammunition). I never heard of it, but I was told people come from many other states to go to it. I am going to check it out in the next couple of weeks, just to see what it is like.

While at the range, I did get to see a compact Glock, that looked pretty nice. It had the fluorescent (I think) sights on it so you could see in the dark without a problem. It did look nice.

Thanks,

IWOH

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Most indoor ranges make you purchase their ammo. They use a cheap less destructive rounds to be easy on their catchers or stops. Usually they se copper rounds. I wish I had a shop where you could shoot automatic weapons. I haven't fired a full auto weapon in at least four yrears.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join