It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Science of Dubstep (Music of the Apocalypse)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Oxygenation

Yeah, its funny I was thinking about this exact same premise you got going the other day. Somethings going on here!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well I think when your rolling, and your listening to something like Skrillex you kind of lose yourself in the moment of music, and you become oblivious to the reality that surrounds you. Honestly people wouldn't even blink if something was to happen, they would just be euphorically living in the moment, and nothing else would probably matter.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
When a style of music creates one song that has an untold number of changes and not the soft type either.. im talking hardcore changes within the music where quite literally the song shape shifts to and throw in mesmeric fashion.. it's more than just music.. its like this sound connects directly to the psyche..

You have to listen to a few good songs to catch what im talking about here..

When you listen to dubstep something all together different is happening to your thoughts..when you listen to the way certain songs break down it takes you on many different frequencies and vibrations of thought..

Yes all music has vibe and energy to it but nothing is like the monster that is dubstep..

It's more than just music.. its a living entity!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
You can spend all the time you want polishing turds but they still look and smell the same. The same could be said of Dubstep. It's simplified electronic, slowed down, dumbed down for the rhythm-less masses and analogous to beating pots and pans in the kitchen when a child.

Totally agree.

Sorry but I love rock and metal (not the poncy pop disguised as rock such as Oasis, Arctic Monkeys and Coldplay as just three examples) and to me, dubstep and other forms of drum and bass, rap, etc just sound like random noise to me.

My younger brother listens to it loudly and it gives me a headache.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think it has more to do with the relatively easy availability of loop-based music creation programs like ACID, where any ADHD ding-dong can sample a bit of noise and incorporate it into a bass/drum beat.

You may call it "hypnotic."
Personally, I think it's horribly boring to the point of being stupefying.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

listened to it all the way through, sounds just like all the other dub step i have heard,

boring,
to me anyhow,

music is art, art is expression, what is dubstep expressing? i just dont see any messege, nothing but catchy sounds, no lyrics, no thought, thats not art or expression imo, although i suppose if you can see something being expressed in it then yes it's art to you,

just dont see any expression in it myself,

to compare i do like classical music and much has no lyrics, but it evokes emotion, i think that is its expression, i dont feel any emotion from dub step, just boredom,

oh and btw, you DO know this website is for conspiracy discussion right? so where is the conspiracy in this thread?

i think the OP just wanted to post saying "oh look i like this music everyone should hear this music cause i like it and you should like it too"

thats hardly worthy of posting to a conspiracy discussion forum :/ im sure there are lots of dub step discussion forums on the web, why not post it there?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Someone needs to send some dubstep through a cymatics rig and see what kind of shapes come out. Maybe some crazy robot transforer type of sh*t. hahaha. Love dubstep.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Dubstep is so 2009.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

dubstep seems like such a large genre, I can listen to 2 albums, both called dubstep, and they will sound completely opposite. its weird, its almost like a catchall phrase for all electronic music now...

dont get me wrong, there is some that i really enjoy but being that I am in my late 30's it just sounds like a melding of other electronic music genres. it has the heavy drums of rap, deep bass from miami bass type music, the hip-hop elements often used in classic breakbeats (DJ Icey styles) with samples and scratches, and then a peppering of jungle and drum and bass sounds.....

the popularity of it is weird to me, kids act like this stuff is brand new but i guess thats how it always goes....

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Does anyone else feel like when listening to a house or dupstep song they can basically make up their own story or lyrics for it? Since only a handful actually have words, but it hits so much deeper.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I've been listening to dubstep for a few years. I've come to realize something about the way I feel about it.

I like the "beats" of dubstep, not the "sounds" of dubstep. All that WUB WUB WUUUUB Woog woog woog WOOG WOOG WOOG is pretty much the equivalent of trashy pop music to me. But if you even mention "dubstep" to someone, that's the stuff they think of. And it is not the kind of stuff I would have someone listen to if I wanted them to actually attempt to enjoy dubstep.

There's so much of that WaaaaaAAAAAA Woo Woo Woo Woo Woo- woo woo woo woo woo out there that it's made all dubstep sound worse. And Skrillex being a popular dubstep artist makes me sad. He's very good at what I would call bad dubstep, which is what unfortunately most people would call dubstep.

I wish I could give you all one example of what I would call "good" dubstep. The best I could tell you is to get exposed to it more in a non-mainstream sense. The way I do this is by listening to an internet stream of dubstep tunes and mixes from www.di.fm. There's actually a chance of hearing good dubstep there, as well as all the bad. But this is how I've found gems.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well, in all honesty, I generally don't like dubstep music, it's too crazy for my poor brain to try and make some sense out of it, I guess...but this tune in the OP really got me, in a sense. I didn't like it at first, but kept listening, and from 09:11 till the end, it knocked my socks off!! Awesome arpeggios and that somewhat recurring insane "riff" that made me repeat those five last minutes over and over and over and over...I think I'm going crazy.
edit on 9/2/2012 by Raven_Heart because: riff...not riif

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Music, no Sounds that create rhytmic patterns,... eh, sure why not. If there is no physical musicianship taken part, then it's not music. You might disagree and get all
but constructing a song by the means of different insertions of "beats" doesnt qualify. Once you unplug the amplifiers, there's nothing. Atleast strumming an electric guitar will produce some sort of tune. Not to mention purcussion. Like I said, Music, no.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm an old metalhead grandma who's become a fan of dubstep. It's the BASS.

I particularly love this.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MANtheLAUGHING
Music, no Sounds that create rhytmic patterns,... eh, sure why not. If there is no physical musicianship taken part, then it's not music. You might disagree and get all
but constructing a song by the means of different insertions of "beats" doesnt qualify. Once you unplug the amplifiers, there's nothing. Atleast strumming an electric guitar will produce some sort of tune. Not to mention purcussion. Like I said, Music, no.

was it really that funny? lol. in case you didn't get the memo, musical instruments are a form of TECHNOLOGY. like once you cut guitar center strings, then what do you have? lol. It's the end result that matters. You can't argue against how these sounds make us feel, regardless of how they were generated. There are no qualifications, we don't look at music, we listen to it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Okay, i've been lurking about.. reading things on this site *without an account* for over two years... and this post is what made me jump in and sign up haha.
and if that doesn't tell you how concerned i am for the current state of music...

I'm an artist 1st, a musician 2nd, and a scientist 3rd..

i don't "believe"... i effing KNOW that Dubstep does indeed have a "science" behind it, buuut... so do all of the commercials on TV..
.. and while we're on the topic..
..the same science is also what results in 90% of the movies we HAVE NO CHOICE but to hear about from the media, that we are involuntarily exposed to.. daily..
(i could also discuss how this same science is behind breakfast cereals, Lady Gaga and the Mormon Church... but maybe another time ;P)
usually we call that science "marketing"
(sorry, but this topic require the use of a lots o "quotation marks" people..)

NOW FOR THE CONSPIRACY AT HAND!

i might just have to make my own post to truly deal with what seems to be the "big" conspiracy here, because i really think that the same principles have been applied throughout our entire culture (and ATS for that matter... anyone notice how many people are promoting really suspect B.S. on here having to do with really trivial stuff and could very easily be acting as seeds for re-enforcing really ignorant effing viewpoints..??)

ANYHOW!

since Skrillex was mentioned and i know his music well (hardly by choice... ha.. ha...ugh)
i can say that this "really trippy vibe" everyone is so enthused about, is the product of well applied psychology and NOT musicianship.
their performance is composed of a laptop essentially acting as the "performer" and the human behind it as a disposable "conductor" that can get as wasted as he wants, fall down, and rest peacefully on the beer-soaked, urine-stained floor of the club knowing that the show WILL go on because his computer pal (er.. binary slave monkey..) has no choice but to finish it's program.
oh and look, there's a capsule of Molly on the ground..
..or is it ecstasy..?
..or is it meth..?
..or is it PCP..?

. i truly feel like the Remixes, Remakes, and Rewrites are kind of like incest between potentially creative minds...
the EASIEST, most simple and accessible route is being preached as the best way for creative people "to be noticed" and most will follow along because we WANT to make a living creating things. it's something we can't help but do, and hence feel like it's some sort of metaphysical calling to communicate with masses of people..

we have so much to learn and offer from each other (everyone currently living...) and now that we have the chance, certain individuals have sabotaged and slowed (controlled) the acceleration of communication through creative means.

i don't want my generation known for this...

"they" know that the human mind is attracted to a steady pulse (say "hot-soup-cold-soup-hot-soup-cold-soup" in time with any song on the radio.. chances are, it'll be the 4/4 "money-beat that's ohhhh so psychologically appealing...and congrats, now you're an amateur beatboxer..)

"they" also know that CERTAIN FREQUENCIES affect the human brain in a very direct way... especially with the use of headphones... (wikipedia "binaural beats" and think about the EXACT and BINARY nature of most "dubstep" and the computer itself..)

this could easily be the reason why many of my friends and acquaintances from high school, have gone from listening to very complex, intricate, LIVE music (Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan, The Locust, Genghis Tron..) and smoking weed, experimenting with acid, and talking about ideas openly...
to..
acting silly and taking ecstasy, spending what little money they EVER have left on festivals comprised almost purely of laptop jockeys...

I don't know if i've just been reading too much Philip K Dick and Robert Anton Wilson buuut..
the "revolution for lowered standards" is just as real as it is in Robert's book Schrodinger's Cat..

this is a total rant i know, but i'd love to discuss this with anyone sincerely wanting to defend the sound and process behind "dubstep" (or the validity of "genres" for that matter..)
most of the people who i've approached with this viewpoint pretty much dismiss me as being a "music snob" but i'm honestly not a closed-minded person and in fact enjoy quite a bit of ELECTRONIC MUSIC...
there just has to be an organic element to it, or else.. its just a gimmick.

the computer can be a wonderful tool, but it cannot be the only tool..

with the availability of the internet so widespread, the creative realms are already over-saturated with options, and the popularity of "dubstep" has only encouraged this simplistic perspective on music and has killed opportunities for real "bands" made up of many people.
music is the universal language that we all know, from birth until death.
i think the heritage of music and information which is available, ought to be taken seriously long before ourselves..

-

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Aliens yes

Dub step is for sure music for beings from a particular part/dimension of the universe. If you don't like it then perhaps you haven't embraced that part of your multidimensional being yet. You can raise your consciousness raise your vibe and then you'll get there, then you'll understand the thrilling and almost healing quality of dub step. To me it feels like a going to a home I had forgotten how to get to.

All music is great for those of you who referenced rock, metal and all music produced with "actual instruments" * I love those genres too. They represent different aspects of the universe different times and place ie dimensions. Music of the spheres. If you find yourself attracted to predominately say hip hop or country or rock then perhaps your predominantly from the part of the universe. But if you incorporate and embrace all of who you are (which is god existing everywhere at all times) then most likely you'll be attracted to all forms of music as a gateway to different aspects of yourself existing in other dimensions.

In conclusion dub step has a high vibe. The vibe is high enough that it will make you aware of your multi-dimensionality (consciously or unconsciously) in other words that your an alien that were all aliens. Ha funny so i guess you could say its apocalyptic music cause its bringing the end to the awareness of the world as we know it and introducing a whole new world; worlds of existence to our awareness.

*(the machines and creativity that goes into dub step is an art as well, for those of you who lack respect for it)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
THIS is where the sound is headed...

Congi - Awaken
www.youtube.com...

SP:MC and LX One - Judgement
www.youtube.com...

Biome - Minus
www.youtube.com...

Biome - Pariah
www.youtube.com...

Demon - Unidentified
www.youtube.com...

Content - Forewarned
www.youtube.com...

J:Kenzo - Invaderz
www.youtube.com...

Jack Sparrow - Afraid of Me
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I made up a song like this using virtual instrumental sounds called Journey thru realm. It was hard to mix down. Its not something that is for mainsteam.

soundcloud.com.../journey-thru-the-realm

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join