It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Again, Democrats Protest Drug Testing for Welfare and Unemployment Recipients...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
"Democrats, however, rejected efforts by House conservatives to require beneficiaries to enroll in GED classes or permit states to require drug tests as conditions of getting unemployment."
news.yahoo.com...

Okey, dokey.....Seems like those who go on either welfare or unemployment benefits, or both, can't seem to ever get off welfare or unemployment benefits.

While they're getting their doles, they continue to complain they're not getting enough.

Yeah, we all agree that inflation is eating away at the earning power of welfare and unemployment checks. Just one of the many reasons that the welfare poor are getting poorer by the year.

You'd think that providing incentive to get off welfare and unemployment would be a decent idea to at least consider. That idea doesn't seem to hold any merit for Democrats.

Meanwhile, food stamps don't buy as much as they used to, thanks to inflation. While inflation continues to rise, thanks to so many people being on the dole that the Fed has to print an enormous sum of 'funny money' to keep the social programs going...or, look like they are going like some kind of magic act.

Welfare and unemployment is eating itself alive. Democrats want to sit back to leet it take its course. The course continues to go downhill. Everything costs more, and the dole checks are looking smaller and smaller every month.

Time to stop kicking the can down the road, maybe?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tonycliffs

The Democrats NEED people poor and on drugs, who is going to vote to screwing people that actually pay taxes if there are not as many poor people?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Maybe because drug testing is a violation of privacy...

Why enroll in GED classes if you have a college degree?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I look at it this way: I put up with the Democrats handing out food and housing to people or the Republicans spending it bombing the crap out of random countries.

At least the Democrats want to prop up our own people instead of blowing others to kingdom come.

Either way, both parties are corrupt and don't have a policy to get people off the county.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here's a challenge for you -- show that it works -- here's a hint it doesn't. Another fact that you are probably blissfully unaware of - you pay for unemployment insurance when you work.. You are asking people who are unemployed to go through the humiliation and agrevation of peeing in a cup, to collect on an insurance policy. Here's another fun fact when Lex Luther down in Fl. did this he was uncomfortably connected with the drug testing people -- you might want to look up the cost/benefit of the policy in Fl.

Have you ever been unemployed??

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Where in the constitution are you guaranteed privacy and where does it say welfare is a right?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
You are asking people who are unemployed to go through the humiliation and agrevation of peeing in a cup, to collect on an insurance policy.

You have to pee in a cup to get a lot of jobs, i don't see the problem.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't agree with drug testing for welfare.

Their was a place that tested it out and they found it to be even more "tax"ing aka their really wasn't an roi on it.

I think it was Florida, though it may have been another southern state.

This thing really girds me, I did need to go on welfare a couple of times (but worked my tail off to get out of it).

This last time I was glad. I had applied to every place I could get to, it wasn't until I got onto the program that gives companies tax bennies to hire people out that are on welfare that I started to get interviews.

I was close to suicide, imagine being a vet and not even able to land an interview to flip burgers.

Labor Ready didn't help much either, you show up at 5 am and if you don't get anything by 9am or so your screwed for the day, then its off to more applications. Did this for 6-7 months before my saved up money ran out, then desperation sent me to the welfare line.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
i'm in favour of welfare recipients being drugs tested.... PROVIDING ALL THE LAWMAKERS AND ALL GOVERNMENTAL EMPLOYEES TAKE IT FIRST. that'd be all the judges, politicians, lawyers, policemen, health service workers, and so on and so on.

wonder what would happen then!

edit on 9-2-2012 by ladyteeny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonycliffs
Meanwhile, food stamps don't buy as much as they used to, thanks to inflation.

I disagree!! FS buy more NOW than they ever did. Many of the recipients don't even use them properly and waste the money on junk. I have seen people waste 500 dollars of GOVT money on junk food. I personally think food stamps should go back to the paper money and limited items you could purchase. You don't need to be buying shrimp and t bone steaks on food stamps! Learn to budget and cut things out that are not needed.

and the dole checks are looking smaller and smaller every month.

Most people i know on welfare get about 600 a month for groceries, that doesn't seem small to me at all! If people learned to budget their money be it govt or their own it would go further but people here are spoiled with being able to have everything they wanted handed to them via the govt. Whatever happened to just getting what you need? Why waste so much? i can't tell you the amount of food I have seen wasted at people's homes and they just don't care! Budget and learn to make your money and food go further and quit blaming everyone else.

As far as testing welfare recipients I am ALL for it. If you are going to get govt handouts then it means you don't have money to buy drugs and if you do you don't need govt help. Learn to manage your money and quit expecting everyone to just give it all to you for free.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
i'm in favour of welfare recipients being drugs tested.... PROVIDING ALL THE LAWMAKERS AND ALL GOVERNMENTAL EMPLOYEES TAKE IT FIRST.

you obviously have never applied for a government job

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Before anyone receives any type of check from the government, they need to earn it in some way, and they need to be vetted. It is far too easy to game the system. I think everyone on unemployment should show up from 8 to 5 at some governmental facility and be put to work somehow. Weedeat the ditches, or process data on a computer, or process mail or something.

Yes, drug test, and also find some way to make them earn their money.

Just last week, the Georgia Commissioner of Agriculture was in our town talking about the billions of dollars farmers are losing because of the crackdown on immigration. The farmers cannot produce their crops, because there are no workers, yet 10% of the population is sitting at home not working? What the hell?!?!?

The Restaurant Association here in this town pooled their money, and they are currently running ads on the Radio talking about all the benefits of being a server or a cook in a local restaurant. They cannot keep enough employees on staff, and they are all hiring, and they are desperate for more applicants, yet we have some illusive unemployment problem?

What we have is an entitlement and lazy problem, not an employment problem.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

There is a lot more to than just drug testing someone and having them get their GED to get off of welfare..I would love to be the companies that get these contracts for the drug testing....I'm sure it will all be sent out to a lab..there is not easy solution and the emphasis needs to be put on the kids growing up so that they understand that being on welfare is not the solution and going to school, staying away from drugs and gangs are the main issues for kids growing up today...lets not focus on the adults and take it as a loss but focus on those screwed up kids coming up in these broken families...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

I would love to be the companies that get these contracts for the drug testing....I'm sure it will all be sent out to a lab.

I used to administer drug tests, the state usually does it only by urine. For some criminal and court ordered ones they will do hair but for the most part they just do urine. The urine testing can be done on site and only takes a few min. The only time it gets sent to the lab is in the event of a positive test that the person contests and it gets tested to see if it is a false positive or not.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I look at it this way: I put up with the Democrats handing out food and housing to people or the Republicans spending it bombing the crap out of random countries.

At least the Democrats want to prop up our own people instead of blowing others to kingdom come.

Either way, both parties are corrupt and don't have a policy to get people off the county.

Looks like the Democrats are the party of the Hawks this election year.

After all, Obama's unofficial campaign slogan is, "Osama bin Laden is dead and GM is alive."

Not to forget mentioning that GM is now working more out of Mexico than Detroit city.

About time you give up that tired old saying that Democrats don't get their hands dirty in the war like business.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Why enroll in GED classes if you have a college degree?

Because you didn't learn anything while in college?

And once out of college, people tend to lose contact with their college drug dealers?

So they need to find a new street drug dealer in the GED classes.

And they wonder why they can't get a job with their college degrees in art appreciation.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
Here's a challenge for you -- show that it works -- here's a hint it doesn't. Another fact that you are probably blissfully unaware of - you pay for unemployment insurance when you work.. You are asking people who are unemployed to go through the humiliation and agrevation of peeing in a cup, to collect on an insurance policy. Here's another fun fact when Lex Luther down in Fl. did this he was uncomfortably connected with the drug testing people -- you might want to look up the cost/benefit of the policy in Fl.

Have you ever been unemployed??

Nope. Can't say that I ever had a problem making money the good old Capitalist American way of life.

Which means that myself, like many other hard working Americans, have some rights asking where our tax dollars are going for those who can't ssem to find a job if it was handed to them.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
i'm in favour of welfare recipients being drugs tested.... PROVIDING ALL THE LAWMAKERS AND ALL GOVERNMENTAL EMPLOYEES TAKE IT FIRST. that'd be all the judges, politicians, lawyers, policemen, health service workers, and so on and so on.

Come to think of it, even highly paid professional athletes are being drug tested.

Along with all those other professions you have mentioned.

Yep, at one time or another, even judges and police officers have been drug tested.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF
reply to post by chrismarco

I would love to be the companies that get these contracts for the drug testing....I'm sure it will all be sent out to a lab.

I used to administer drug tests, the state usually does it only by urine. For some criminal and court ordered ones they will do hair but for the most part they just do urine. The urine testing can be done on site and only takes a few min. The only time it gets sent to the lab is in the event of a positive test that the person contests and it gets tested to see if it is a false positive or not.

You can pretty much tell a crack addict is a crack addict by just looking into their eyes and observing their jerky behavior while being handed a dole check.

Thing about drug addiction is that it is so advertised on the personal self.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The first thing that pops into my mind when I see drug testing bills like this is which politician or friend of the politician owns the drug testing clinics. The amount of people on drugs is always too small to make a difference, but the potential profits for businesses off the poor and unemployed who often have to pay for the tests is huge.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join