It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just found out my Dad was a Freemason apprentice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreatest

They don't advertise it because their intent is not to influence...it is a gentlemens club for the most part and your local mason is not connected to much of anything other than having some family dinners or some forms of community service or fundraising...can't speak for the folks further up the food chain...I have visited a few masonic lodges and they are about as charming as a VFW Post...nothing exciting or mysterious but the smell of an old gymnasium

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

His Lodge gets to drink! Damn it! Idaho needs to change its By-Laws!

I'm the first in my immediate family to be a Mason, but I did find out at a family reunion that some of my 2nd and 3rd cousins are Masons.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
No big secret with the Freemason's, folks.

The reason Freemasons don't talk about it, is the only real reason to talk about it would be to recruit, and if you have never been entrusted to discuss the subject, then you were not of high enough character to be considered for membership.

Unfortunately, we just don't let "anyone" in. You have to be of sound character, moral judgement, and above all, believe in the supreme architect of the universe - a being greater than yourself.

So the secret is, actually, no secret.

And, at the apprentice level, your father didn't learn much of the craft. And, he had taken an oath to never discuss what he learned.

Any questions? Ask a Freemason...I am a Master Mason, so ask.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by josephamccoy

very evasive! i am quite interested now to know: what is the purpose of freemasonry? if there is anyone out there that has got any idea what the freemasons do and why?

The standard answer is we make good men better. I know, what the hell does that mean. First off, you have to BE a good man. Not a criminal. You have to join of your own free will. (The reason is you won't care about retaining anything you learn unless you actually are interested in the subject)

The lessons we teach help you use allegory and symbols to associate them with everyday life and treat yourself and others better. We try to be a charitable bunch and also try not to let anyone know what we give. If you are interested in more, please U2U me or any of the other masons here and we will be happy to help if we can.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantomjack

The reason Freemasons don't talk about it, is the only real reason to talk about it would be to recruit, and if you have never been entrusted to discuss the subject, then you were not of high enough character to be considered for membership.

Unfortunately, we just don't let "anyone" in. You have to be of sound character, moral judgement, and above all, believe in the supreme architect of the universe - a being greater than yourself.

And, at the apprentice level, your father didn't learn much of the craft. And, he had taken an oath to never discuss what he learned.

Hey I have a question, what are the passwords/keywords given per rank for? I don't understand why they given them in the first place.
edit on 9-2-2012 by TheGreatest because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatest

Hey I have a question, what are the passwords/keywords given per rank for? I don't understand why they given them in the first place.

Symbolicaly each level had it's own password and handshake to identify a worker. So you wouldn't have an eager entered apprentice claiming to be a fellowcraft and being taken at his word. He would have to "prove" himself in some other way. As I said, lots of symbolism and allegory.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Signs, Words and Tokens (grips) are given so that Freemasons can recognize each other. They constitute the secrets of Freemasonry.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatest

Originally posted by phantomjack

Yes. Each level all the way to the 33rd Degree.

Why? Freemasonry is more than just a club. It carries on a tradition going back 3000 years to the times of Solomon in Egypt.

In the early days of Fremasonry in the USA, the only way to differentiate yourself as a freemason was by the grips and passwords. The grip itself, identified you as a Freemason, even in the dark, as it was a lot of the time back in the days of the founding of the USA.

The reason also that they are given, is to ensure that the candidate / member KEEPS THEM SECRET by the oath that they take. If a Freemason can not keep a simple hand shake a secret, then he is NOT worthy of Freemasonry.

It is basically to separate those who are of character, from those who are not.
edit on 9-2-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Ah, very interesting indeed. Thanks for the share guys.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

and what about women ? are we allowed to join 'the high moral gentleman's club' ?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exitt
...and what about women ? are we allowed to join 'the high moral gentleman's club' ?

There are some women-only and mixed-gender lodges. No1smootha can give you a few as he is in this obedience.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Anyone else had any family members keep freemasonry membership a secret?

Yeah, me. Well not secretive, I just don't talk about it with most of my family.. they are strict Catholics who would react much like most ignoramuses on ATS do.

He mentioned that it is just like a big gentleman's club where people go and get plastered on meetings.

You don't get plastered at meetings. You get plastered after meetings.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

He mentioned that it is just like a big gentleman's club where people go and get plastered on meetings.

You don't get plastered at meetings. You get plastered after meetings.
Or before meetings, if it's going to be a boring night like reading Grand Lodge resolutions…

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
My grandpa was a 33rd degree Mason who left the lodge after he made that rank and got his ring. I do not know if he lead the lodge for any length of time. I was only about 8 when he died.

He married a Catholic and my mom said they (grandpa and grandma) really had some fights about faith.

He was quite a wealthy businessman. He was President of one company and on the board of directors of a major department store.

He converted to Catholicism on his death bead.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Thank you for replying so quickly. I must admit i was expecting a different answer and i already thought of a sarcastic remark i could throw in

but i like the answer, it's nice to know.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

That wouldn't be surprising actually.. I know a guy personally that "isn't allowed" to attend lodge anymore because his wife "became" a "born again" Christian and decided he was going to hell for being a Mason. Actually she's pretty convinced everyone is going to hell. But he, having no balls, didn't want to listen to her anymore so he quit. I've actually met a few wives who are surprisingly hostile towards Masonry .. I think it has a lot to do with it being something they are not entirely privy to. Or the inside jokes they don't understand. Who knows. Some people just suck you know..

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
There is another question that rattles my brains, why do certain people believe freemasons are satanic or evil? They all share a faith in a supreme God/creator which is the same foundation many of the major world religions are based on. :S

I think it may be just misunderstanding.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I think some folks fear what they don't understand, and they feel that they need to have a place to put the blame for all their failures. Freemasonry is a fine place to put that blame since we cannot actually "prove" that we don't.....
Eat babies, worship Satan, sacrifice virgins, kill anyone who spills secrets, ......ect.

What tickles me the most is when some of these same people end up joining and find out the real deal, then they come back and we all have a good laugh.

Does you dad have any thoughts about going back?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Exitt

As Augustus said, there are Obediences that are feminine and also mixed gender. These are more prevalent in Europe and Latin America, but they have a presence worldwide.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Why would your father feel the need to join a gang?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join