It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is true, Antarctica and Greenland is losing huge amounts of ice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

It depends were you are. When it is summer in the north pole it is winter in the south pole and vice versa..

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
According to the website 'climate depot' sea ice this year is thicker, so, presumably, land ice is not melting, as it must be cold enough to freeze sea ice, it must be cold enough to stop land ice from thawing?

and according to this site it is getting less, hmmm, makes you wonder doesn't it. Who is lying?

nsidc.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by hp1229

erm, your first article doesn't refer to the ice-melting, and the second article refers to the article I posted. It just states that they found now it is about 30% less than what previous studies suggested, but it is still melting.

There were more links but they didnt work but todays news had it the other way. Sure the ice melts every year but what they had predicted and calculated intially is incorrect. The links talk about points contrary to the global warming crap.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I always thought that ice shelfs melting was a precursor to the next ice age, the more the ice melts leads to more colder water pouring into the oceans and therefore stopping the warm water flows from travelling further than they usually do and so leading to a colder climate.

Personally I don't subscribe to the global warming brigade or the new kid on the block climate change (at least they got the name right this time), the climate is changing but then again it always has and will, the only way I can see us humans having a major affect is when we go red and do a MAD

Wolfie

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229
reply to post by Hellhound604

Not according to these guys...

LINK1

LINK2

Those are links to news articles which at best are secondhand cherry picked "facts". The first link is an opinion by a climate skeptic.

At least the OP has links to the original research.

Anyway globally the majority of glaciers are retreating, flora and fauna boundaries are moving northwards (most land is north of the equator). Comparisons with historical photos and records shows it is not seasonal nor short term it is a long term trend that is accelerating. But hey lets not let facts get in the way of a good bitching session

Natures mechanisms which are dependent on average temperatures ALL reflect increasing temperatures.....unless NASA has bribed ladybirds, scorpions, mosquitos etc etc to emigrate!
edit on 9-2-2012 by yorkshirelad because: spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I also found this interesting from the article.

"One unexpected study result from GRACE was that the estimated ice loss from high Asian mountain ranges like the Himalaya, the Pamir and the Tien Shan was only about 4 billion tons of ice annually. Some previous ground-based estimates of ice loss in these high Asian mountains have ranged up to 50 billion tons annually."

I guess some rethinking is in order on proposed land ice losses. It should be noted that the above value of 4 billion tons annually has an uncertainty of ± 20 billion tons.

But the truth is, ice sheets and glacier ice are a poor indicator of current climate trends. Large ice sheets, such as those in Greenland and Antarctica, can have climate reaction times of a 1000 years or more. Glaciers could be reacting to an increase in precipitation centuries ago, but we can't really be sure. This means that inferring current short term climate trends from ice sheets is futile.

Also, glaciers have many factors that influence their mass balance, such as precipitation and land topography. Some glaciers here in NZ have been growing, even though climate conditions are warmer than in the past. For these reasons, I think that any information promoting a view on current climate trends based on ice sheets should be taken with a grain of salt.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad
Anyway globally the majority of glaciers are retreating, flora and fauna boundaries are moving northwards (most land is north of the equator). Comparisons with historical photos and records shows it is not seasonal nor short term it is a long term trend that is accelerating. But hey lets not let facts get in the way of a good bitching session

We have been losing ice from glaciers since the last ice age, this cannot be denied. But if you have any information pertaining to a recent acceleration in ice loss, I would be interested in seeing it.

I thought I should point out that the 2nd link above that you refer to as one of the "news articles which at best are secondhand cherry picked "facts" is merely repeating what the source for the OP's article claims. It might pay to check the sources before trashing an article. This is from the summary of the recently published Nature article.

The GIC rate for 2003–2010 is about 30 per cent smaller than the previous mass balance estimate that most closely matches our study period2. The high mountains of Asia, in particular, show a mass loss of only 4 ± 20 Gt yr−1 for 2003–2010, compared with 47–55 Gt yr−1 in previously published estimates
Recent contributions of glaciers and ice caps to sea level rise

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just as a 10 year study shows that indeed no ice was actually lost in the
The Himalayas and nearby peaks,

no ice lost in past 10 years, study shows
www.guardian.co.uk...

The same will be found true with the Antartic etc.

I am sure that someone is desperatly trying to show otherwise, and same with
the Anarctica and Greenland.

And if indeed a longer study shows it to be true, its a natural cycle of the earth,
and the dire need to prove othewise is to implement a new carbon tax and credit
exchange scheme, so that those in control can stay on top a while longer.

edit on 10-2-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Global warming or ice age which is it lol. Im done with this now we gotta save the planet bs. Carlin had it right. This planet is fine, its the people that are €»¥¡Ed

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
this question should be: is it true that before the little ice age greenland was green hence its name, and crops were grown?
edit on 11-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

btw: this whole article is a bait and switch, that I PREDICTED WOULD HAPPEN.
See my thread on the NON MELTING OF GLACIERS.
I PREDICTED THIS BAIT AND SWITCH DISINFO.
edit on 11-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dl2oneThe2nd
reply to post by purplemer

Global warming or ice age which is it lol. Im done with this now we gotta save the planet bs. Carlin had it right. This planet is fine, its the people that are €»¥¡Ed

The climatic changes recorded originally went under the header of global warming. This over the years has been renamed to climate change. The reason being the warming of the planet will lead to climatic changes and the affects will be different in different area. The planet warming up will lead to certain areas causing down and a lot of scientists including me are worried that these changes could go as far as to cause an ice age.

Among the scientific community there is very little doubt that climate change is occuring and that we are the primary cause. Science per review papers are all saying the same thing. You can get allsorts of theories off the internet about the cause but the real science is saying otherwise.

Science is not perfect and I aware of its shortcomings. However it is the best we have to understand the world around us. In this instance the risk is not worth taking and the stakes far to high. Action is required and it was required yesterday...

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

same probably happened a hundred years ago, though we didn't have eco tourists then

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

yeah, Al Gore seems to be really up to speed in his mansion using the energy of a small African town

Bunch of bs

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

You cannot look at isolated events or areas. To get an idea of what is going you need to look at the whole picture and what this is saying is that the glaciers are melting. Your article states the same.

"Our results and those of everyone else show we are losing a huge amount of water into the oceans every year," said Prof John Wahr of the University of Colorado. "People should be just as worried about the melting of the world's ice as they were before."

It is the fresh water entering the ocean that causes real problems. Many of the world currents work by difference in sea density and temperature. If these currents change they could have drastic negative implications on modern society.

Science is in argument that climate change is occurring. Real scientists that is not those paid off by governments and big business. Look at the body of per reviewed science that supports the theory of climate change.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

The root cause, I believe is people and cattle consume O2 and emit CO2

Trees on the other hand do the opposite, but we are cutting down our trees, millions a day as we speak.

We have a garbage patch floating around in the Pacific now bigger than the State of Texas, mostly made up of plastic.

At least two oil spills (one was actually a gusher) that continue to this day, one has been sprewing in Africa for 30+ years.

On top of the last oil gusher we put a highly toxic chemical amply named, CorExit........hmmm wonder if TPTB, the real puppet masters named it that for a reason?

We have punched holes in our atmosphere with HAARP

And a few of us lucky ones continue to eat meat that in their alive state consume enough grain that could feed every starving person...........these "walking meat bags" for human consumption also emit an enormous amount of (oooops pardon me for the embarrassment) enough CO2 to really mess up the atmosphere.

Now with Fukushima, we have really really messed up big time but I hear we're still building nuclear power plants what the hey......let's celebrate.

But, everyone is saying global warming is not Homo sapien's fault, it's all one big fallacy.

To them I say read all three of Ervin Lazlo's books,

** The Systems View of The World
** The Chaos Point The World At the Crossroads
** Chaos Point 2012 And Beyond Our Choices Between Global Disaster and a Sustainable Planet.

But then most people don't read "serious books" it shows by $$$$'s spent statistics. Most people now would rather play with their electronic toys and read vampire novels.

Don't worry one of two things will happen:

Either mankind will wake up, unite and get his/her act together or we will out foxed ourselves (yet again I believe) and Earth will shake us off like the fleas that most of us are and begin anew.

Life will go on minus one arrogant, greedy and cancerous species.

If I sound bitter and condescending you will have to excuse me. I hope I have made everyone mad enough to put down that remote, that joy stick, that romance novel or comic book and start voting in people who give a damn because folks, we have a big hole in our ship and it's sinking fast.

And guess what...........there are no life boats.

Sorry kids, life cannot go on as usual.

Some big changes MUST BE MADE AND FAST!
edit on 11-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

My nephew actually was in Antarctica for a month and said the amount of ice shelves he saw disappear each day, each hour was beyond comprehension..................he was on a boat with scientists studying it.

He said you would have had to be there just to believe it.

And why is Africa and many other parts of the world now turning from lush green lands into barren deserts?

The loss of trees, the lungs of our planet.

Radiation now in our air, soil and oceans.

Garbage that takes 500 years to break down.

Oil and chemical toxins.

As countries (like China and India) now becoming more financially able, and with their huge numbers of people, consuming more cattle and dirty fossil fuel. Living the "good life" up until recently only Europe and North America have known.

It almost seems (as this is a conspiracy site) that our very planet is being re-terraformed right out from under us.

Watch "The Arrival".

Just a wild guess but if one takes the time to study our atmosphere, it's changing and changing fast.

Fresh water is disappearing (Watch the video, free called, "A World Without Water".

and research how drastically our oxygen levels are going down - hint: Soon TPTB will be charging us for Oxygen like in "Total Recall"...............no $$, no oxygen, no oxygen = death.

edit on 11-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Meh Global warming is just more fear mongering in my opinion. The fact is if you go back to the Jurassic period and before; there were no icecaps on the planet, so all that water in the icecaps were in the oceans and it was not water world; there still were continents. And as far as all the concern over carbon dioxide, there was actually more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere during that time as well, which was one of the main reasons that the dinosaurs weren't the only giant things back then, but the plants were as well.

Personally, I think the melting of the ice caps is a good thing, it means we may actually finally get out of the ice age and yes I said ice age not ages. The thing is what scientists see as successive ice ages I simply see as peaks and valleys in one long ice age. After all in if there were no icecaps in the Jurassic period and before and the icecaps only developed with beginning of the ice age, how can scientists say we ever left the ice age, if the icecaps continue to exist and global temperatures have never returned to the way they were during the Jurassic age and before.

And as far as the great fear of lost land due to melted icecaps, though we will lose land; mainly coastline we will also gain a whole new continent worth of land; Antarctica. And if you think about all the dead plant and animal matter that is probably trapped under that ice, it will probably be the most fertile farmland humanity has seen in ages; imagine that Antarctica becoming the bread basket of the world. haha Plus it could also have a great deal of oil there. The thing is the earth is always changing and humanity with our ability to reason, will probably adapt to it.

Meh just my opinion on it
edit on 11-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: addition

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by prisoneronashipoffools

I am surprised no has called you a climate denier yet

Maybe, just maybe we made a dent?

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

And why are the rainforest depleted?
What has that got to do with arctic ice?
its crop monoculture and out of hand lumbering.
the first of which is more dangerous, and promoted as a cure for global warming by scaremongers, hysterical people.
There is climate change, humans contribute, but the current cure is WAY WAY WAY worse then the disease, it is making things much worse.
IT is killing people.
It is destroying habitat at alarming rates.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

wow, you are so duped by the established doctrine its not even funny.
don't you see there is global climate change, humans contribute, but the cure presented from mass hysteria is actually worse then the disease.
the 2 phenenoma (arctic melt, deforastization, monoculture) are not really related.
1 is at least 5O% weather pattern, and perhaps 5o% man made. The other is almost totally man made.
Linking two totally separate phenenoma is just a trick to dupe you.
do some research.

what links them?
Humans! But not in the way many think.
As the second part of the equation is caused by faulty science, and offered as a fix it for global climate change...
When there are MANY MANY options. MANY PATHS.
WE have chosen the worst. And by silencing all dissent, we have in effect sealed our fate.
As you mentioned, oxygen tax is just around the corner. Never though that would happen, did you now?
Do you think that money will be spent effectively?
Do you think money spent thus far has been spent effectively?
Do you think money spent so far has caused more harm then good?
I want to save this planet even more then you do.
check out deep ecology.
edit on 12-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join