It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is true, Antarctica and Greenland is losing huge amounts of ice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Grrr, my previous well-thought-out post got missing somewhere, so I will try again.

I have a keen interest in the arctic areas and glaciers, and for me I could see clearly the ice loss. Somehow the Global Warming Skeptics always say that the ice on Antarctica and Greenland is growing, NOT melting. No matter how much I tried, I could never convince them of it.

Now a new study, using GRACE data is out, and I feel validated.

Using satellite measurements from the NASA/German Aerospace Center Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE), the researchers measured ice loss in all of Earth's land ice between 2003 and 2010, with particular emphasis on glaciers and ice caps outside of Greenland and Antarctica.

From this new study comes this :

The total global ice mass lost from Greenland, Antarctica and Earth's glaciers and ice caps during the study period was about 4.3 trillion tons (1,000 cubic miles), adding about 0.5 inches (12 millimeters) to global sea level. That's enough ice to cover the United States 1.5 feet (0.5 meters) deep. "Earth is losing a huge amount of ice to the ocean annually, and these new results will help us answer important questions in terms of both sea rise and how the planet's cold regions are responding to global change," said University of Colorado Boulder physics professor John Wahr, who helped lead the study. "The strength of GRACE is it sees all the mass in the system, even though its resolution is not high enough to allow us to determine separate contributions from each individual glacier."

The whole press release is here, but I will look for the Nature article also
NASA Mission Takes Stock of Earth's Melting Land Ice

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Not according to these guys...

LINK1

LINK2

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

erm, your first article doesn't refer to the ice-melting, and the second article refers to the article I posted. It just states that they found now it is about 30% less than what previous studies suggested, but it is still melting.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Why is it that environmentalists ALWAYS indirectly accuse "Global Warming Skeptics" as being the cause of this 'climate change'?

Global warming has always occured throughout the history of this planet with multiple hot and cold periods.

Simply ask any geologist for proof.

I ask, are there any environmentalists here, that can prove that the speed at which the ice melted at the end of the ice age (10,000 years ago) is slower than the speed of the ice melting now ?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

Please, keep AGW out of this. I don't want to go into another debate about it. Let us just consider a single fact, that the ice is melting, irrespective of the cause. Whether it be humans, the sun, little green men, aliens, reptoids, whatever.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by Rapha

Please, keep AGW out of this. I don't want to go into another debate about it. Let us just consider a single fact, that the ice is melting, irrespective of the cause. Whether it be humans, the sun, little green men, aliens, reptoids, whatever.

So this OP is not open to debate or argument.

Basically this thread will be posted again on ATS in 12 months when the early spring of 2013 begins and the winter ice of 2012 starts to melt.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Global warming has become so cult-ish... with prophets who foretell doom and followers who neglect to notice that ocean level rises have been prophesied to have already happened by now, and entire island chains disappeared under that water...

... just never happened.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
We are experiencing change, no doubt about it. They are indeed melting and some could argue all day but at the end of the day...we are still on our way to another ice age.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Omg ice is melting, oil is scarce, the sky is falling. So how about we look for ice forming on this planet and say the ice age is coming?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
In certain areas the ice is melting.Oddly enough though,and what they do not wish to tell you,is that the ice is expanding elsewhere which has been proven as of 2006 when it became known.

You could call this a migration of the ice.........if that makes sense.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Global warming has become so cult-ish... with prophets who foretell doom and followers who neglect to notice that ocean level rises have been prophesied to have already happened by now, and entire island chains disappeared under that water...

... just never happened.

Yeah - that brings back the memory of seeing the magazine of "The New Statesman" ~1982 in the UK that showed (on its front cover) that by 1990 The Houses of Parliament would be surrounded by at least 100ft of salt water and the White House was surrounded by sand dunes.

I don't know if anyone remembers watching an episode of Horizon (scientific program) broardcast on BBC2 in 1982-1983 that showed a bald intellectual 'cone head' proving that global warming is so bad that we will all be wiped out.

Note, he went very quiet when the computer sim showed that by 2020 a huge patch of snow and ice will cover all of Egypt and a large portion of the Sahara desert.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Not according to these guys...

LINK1

LINK2

It is well documented by peer review science that the ice sheets are shrinking in Antarctica and Greenland. There is not peer reviewed science saying the opposite. Any tom, dick or harry can make a webpage it does not make it true.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
In the last thousand years, Greenland has lost ice before. This phenomena isn't new.

Maybe the increase in ice was a bad thing. Someone needs to show me why it isn't.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

My nephew just got back from Antarctica and said yes, a lot, miles and miles of whole shelves are crashing down.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It shouldn't be called ''global warming'' but rather ''global health'', we got now as much as co2 as millions and millions of years ago and we did that just in about 100 years!
So the oceans becomes more acid, good change most life is gone in oceans soonish.

It's foolish to think we have no blaim on 'change', sure we had mass extinctions before and extrem weather changes, but it's like saying; hey there are people who smoke and don't get anything/cancer, so why worry?

I don't got kids, so I shouldn't worry that much, but I did even at age 10. We screwing things up pretty fast.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)[/editby
edit on 9-2-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

I ask, are there any environmentalists here, that can prove that the speed at which the ice melted at the end of the ice age (10,000 years ago) is slower than the speed of the ice melting now ?

When the ice melted an the end of an iceage we were leaving an iceage. We have been through a quaternary ice age. Natural flucuations do occur but the level of change we are seeing now is huge. Most scientists no longer dispute climate change is occuring and that we are having an affect on the climate.

Really your statment bears no relevence. Its a bit like saying can you prove to me the leafs are falling off the trees last autumn is slower than the leafs falling off the trees in spring. It should not be happening.

Further the melting of freshwater off is really messing up the thermohaline currents. When the northern hemisphere is plummeted into an ice age as a result and north America and Europe are under a km of ice dont say you were not warned.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dl2oneThe2nd
Omg ice is melting, oil is scarce, the sky is falling. So how about we look for ice forming on this planet and say the ice age is coming?

There is an ice age occuring at the moment at both the northern and southern extremities of the globe. The fresh water coming off the glaciers is interfering with the sea currents. That is what is causing some very cold winters now. It only takes them currents to flip into another position and we will get real cold....

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Antarctica and Greenland "are" losing huge amounts of ice...... not "is" but yea cool story bro , can't wait for water world

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd
Antarctica and Greenland "are" losing huge amounts of ice...... not "is" but yea cool story bro , can't wait for water world

lol, sorry bro. English is only my 3rd language after all, lol .... you can't expect me to know everything, lol....

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
According to the website 'climate depot' sea ice this year is thicker, so, presumably, land ice is not melting, as it must be cold enough to freeze sea ice, it must be cold enough to stop land ice from thawing?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join