It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What, if anything, puts you off a show/film you haven't seen?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I don't know whether this constitutes me as being a hipster, since I haven't seen these shows before anyone else, BUT:
I flat out refuse to watch a show if other people will not shut up talking about it all the time.
For example; I have never watched Avatar, Lost or Heroes. I don't plan to because my expectations won't live up to the hype, and not to mention that everyone complained about how weak the ending of Lost was, and I can't stand being told "OMG YUH HAVE TO WATCH DEZ SHOWZ!"
I like to watch things when I'm good and ready. Buffy finished years ago, and I've only just started watching series 4.

On the other hand, I don't mind recommending a great show or film when I see it. Ha. Guess that sounds a bit hypocritical.
At the risk of being told I'm a loser, haha, does anyone else get like this?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Loser
Just kidding. I do the same thing sometimes. The best example was with the show Sons of Anarchy. Everyone I knew was going on and on and on...and on about this damn show, so I avoided it like the plague. One day I was home sick from work, and decided to give it a go. I became addicted.

The other main example for me was the movie Titanic. Because of its popularity, I have sworn to never watch it..and I'm not sure why.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Anything that is branded as reality tv automatically warrants a miss from me. Also, any films featuring Rachel McAdams, as they pretty much amount to the exact same movie, in a different town, with a different leading man.

EDIT: I should also point out, that I just started watching Buffy about a week ago, as I just finished the spin-off Angel. I also just finished catching up on bones (watching every other season at a rate of 3 episodes a night with my wife) just before the beginning of season 7.
edit on 9-2-2012 by judgiebegoode because: Incomplete thought pattern

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by judgiebegoode
Anything that is branded as reality tv automatically warrants a miss from me. Also, any films featuring Rachel McAdams, as they pretty much amount to the exact same movie, in a different town, with a different leading man.

Ah yes, "reality" tv. Anything considered "reality" in terms of TV instantly gets ignored from me. I'd rather slowly freeze my eyeballs to a frozen pole.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

lol yes all the time!!!! you sound like me lol
i didnt watch Game of Thrones because people at work were banging on about it, like you say its nice to recommend something but when people get over excited about it it just pushes me away lol.

i did watch it but not until everyone else had finished, i can say i really enjoyed (but not until after everyone shut up about it

EDIT: btw avatar is worth watching for sam worthington *phwar!* but im not goin to go on about it

edit on 9-2-2012 by AnotherHumanBeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
hi op

for me its the blair witch project
that was hyped beyond reality lol
i still refuse to watch it
EVER

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AnotherHumanBeing

I have to admit, I might be guilty of Game of Thrones hype. I'd read the books and it lived up to my imagination perfectly and I got a bit excited

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I do it too...people will go on and on about some show...I won't watch..

The twilight movies (i know...so dumb..)is an example..Everyone was so hyped up about them so I checked them out--ThEY SUCKED..I've seen better B movies than the load of crap these movies turned out to be.

I don't watch reality..greys..dancing/singing shows..Other than Walking Dead and occasionally Larry the cable guy america show..I don't watch anything.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
What puts me off of watching a TV show or Movie? 2 words
1. Adam
2. Sandler

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
what puts me off alot of shows is if they're made in america as i hate the number of breaks each with its whats going to happen/whats just happened taking up about half the program it just drives me to tears

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Don't wait to see Avatar on commercial tv...the commercial breaks...it ruins the magic......watch it for the dragons alone....

edit on 9-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I have not been to a movie theater since Titanic was playing.
It was hard watching the movie because I had a group of teens,
sitting behind me,talking about the movie and Leonardo.

I wait until new movies are available to rent and then watch them.
I rented Avatar and I loved it and bought a copy.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I have not been to a movie theater since Titanic was playing.
It was hard watching the movie because I had a group of teens,
sitting behind me,talking about the movie and Leonardo.

I wait until new movies are available to rent and then watch them.
I rented Avatar and I loved it and bought a copy.

I saw Avatar in the theater when it first came out...3 times

Also bought the movie. Avatar was a turning point for me at the ripe old age of 61. It set a the bar very high in portraying an alien civilization, and interaction with humans. I think it will stand alone in this arena for a long long time.

Des

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I refuse to watch anything that my youngest daughter (age 21) raves about. Pleases don't spread this around, but she LOVES Jersey Shore. That right there lets me know that her taste in television shows has gone to Hades in a hand basket!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I won't see something if someone I hate is in it.

For instance, I was looking forward to seeing Despicable Me until I found out Russell Brand voiced a character so I refuse to watch now.

Also, the subject matter. If it's a teen "comedy" revolving around sex then I won't watch.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I saw Avatar on tv a year after its cinema release and honestly, I hated it.

Boring, too long and pretty much a CGI version of Dances With Wolves which I also hated for being boring and too long.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Not really tv, but if a movie looks good & I find out Tom Cruise is in it, I'm turned completely off- even the title!!

Unfair to the other actors, but my dislike for him is that strong! >.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If the main actors are all young, I know that the movie/show is targeted towards teens and those are usually always terrible, so I avoid it. If the main premise has to do with sex, I'll avoid it. Actually if a movie/show doesn't have sci-fi/fantasy elements in the story I will just pretty much avoid it unless recommended to me!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

I must say I agree. I absolutely DETEST teen comedy, like "American Pie" etc. I was just coming into my teens when they came out I think, and perhaps I'm a bit old before my time lol, but everything about them was just ridiculous.

I also will not watch a film if an actor/actress looks like someone I don't like. Zooey Deschanel looks like an old 'friend' of mine, and so I refuse to watch anything with her in it, which is kinda lame, cuz what I have seen has been alright, but ITS THE PRINCIPAL! lol

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This thread is so funny.
I wont watch anything that is hyped on the MSM.
Just started watching Bones last year and like a previous poster, we are watching 2 or 3 episodes a night.

I also won't watch anything with Tom Cruise. Blech

I would love to say that I don't watch reality tv but last year I found Top Shot and watched the first 2 seasons in about a week. I guess that's considered reality tv.
I won't watch housewives of anything.
Death first!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join