It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea: Dragons were really dinosaurs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So I'm reading a book about dragons to my daughter and we're looking at the ancient pictures when I had a deep thought (rare, I know)... "dragons were not real but dinosaurs were at one time." What if the ancient Chinese found dinosaur bones and fantasied about the complete shape of the beast to that of a dragon?

When looking at the artwork of ancient dragons, the skulls do resemble dinosaurs. And since Chinese dragons can live in the water as well, why not have it be a kronosuarus in reality? Similarity, since we are learning everyday that some dinosaurs had feathers and possibly flew, well dragons fly too. And maybe the ancient Chinese came across some very well preserved dinosaur fossils and could ascertain that they flew by studying these ancient monsters.

So what does the ATS community think, is this a plausible definition for dragons?

T-Rex's cousin found in China

Dinosaurs' Last Stand Found in China

Dinosaurs in China show some differences, with specialized sinraptorid theropods and unusual, long-necked sauropods like Mamenchisaurus.[33] Ankylosaurians and ornithopods were also becoming more common, but prosauropods had become extinct. Conifers and pteridophytes were the most common plants. Sauropods, like the earlier prosauropods, were not oral processors, but ornithischians were evolving various means of dealing with food in the mouth, including potential cheek-like organs to keep food in the mouth, and jaw motions to grind food.[34] Another notable evolutionary event of the Jurassic was the appearance of true birds, descended from maniraptoran coelurosaurians.[14]

Source: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-2-2012 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

It makes sense, when the Greeks found elephant skulls they thought the nasal cavity was where the eye was and then they had the cyclops.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Its plausible. Hardly an original thought.

I also heard a story about China's first Emperor coming from the belly of a dragon. (Since it was heard from somebody in passing or more likely a youtube video, I don't know if its true or not.)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I believe that as well and I've always thought that. They found these huge bones so they had to think of what they were so they needed some explanation. Hence, dragons.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
So what does the ATS community think, is this a plausible definition for dragons?

I can see the potential relation but why do they have to be native to this dimension or EA*rth. I would imagine they would grow in nebula or Stars like plasmacreatures but some dinosaurs may have resembled what many call dragons or flying serpents...

edit on 2/9/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What if a form of dinosaur became intelligent and left?

And now they are coming back....

See thread:Chinese have seen the dragon...

But that is just a thought.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The only issue I have with this theory is, why did they choose to portray dragons with scales and reptile characteristics. Could ancient Chinese have deducted that the dinosaur bones were related to modern day reptiles similiar to crocs and lizards? Or is there more to the dragon legends. Why would they not deduce that the dinosar bones were from giant mammels or other types of creatures.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Dragons are not uniquely Chinese.

www.forseti.is...

This is the crest of Iceland, on the top right, you will see a winged dragon. In this case, the crest involved represent 4 distinctive peoples origin.

www.blackdrago.com...

Dragons, in western heraldry.

en.wikipedia.org...

In reality, they all represent "reptilians". And have distinctive features that relate to bats, snakes and crocodiles, etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I think the same thing often.
There are a couple of things I wonder about also though.
Why are some dragons depicted as being able to fly without wings, such as the Chinese traditional dragon, and some dragons are depicted as having wings but not flying, such as the Dragon St George slew?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by remyrange
The only issue I have with this theory is, why did they choose to portray dragons with scales and reptile characteristics. Could ancient Chinese have deducted that the dinosaur bones were related to modern day reptiles similiar to crocs and lizards? Or is there more to the dragon legends. Why would they not deduce that the dinosar bones were from giant mammels or other types of creatures.

There are several differences in the bone structure of reptiles and mammals, it is not exactly rocket science.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I think that's the most likely explanation.
Unless I'm incorrect, the entire belief in griffons came from someone finding a triceratops (or some other beaked dinosaur) skull near part of a lion skeleton.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

r u kidding? if not source please...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
reply to post by JoshF

r u kidding? if not source please...

Souce? are you that lazy?
www.users.globalnet.co.uk...
www.amazon.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshF

i am sorry...but sometimes claims on ATS sound too crazy so i thought its a claim i will not find any proof for or only on dubious sites but again: ATS changed my live, ty =)
edit on 9-2-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
From a griffon to a cyclops to dragons... our ancestors had wonderful imaginations!

new topics

join