It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone can buy guns:Legal loophole permits weapons powerful enough to down aircraft to be sold witho

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
My question here is, would this mean the guns would not be "registered"?
If our second amendment rights were revoked, and our guns confiscated, these could remain in our possession?
I am thinking about finally getting a gun, and this is the way to go I think if it could not be confiscated from me when S*** about to hit the fan.

today.msnbc.msn.com...

Some say it’s a major loophole in the law. At gun stores, you have to get a background check before you can buy a weapon. But online in most states, anyone from law-abiding citizens to dangerous criminals – even terrorists – can get just about any weapon they want, no questions asked

Hundreds of thousands of guns are for sale, on hundreds of websites. We responded and set up meetings at popular shopping malls. We bought everything from a police-grade pistol to a semiautomatic assault rifle. We did it over and over again, even hinting that our buyer is a criminal.

Remember, at gun stores, background checks are required, but online – nothing. Believe it or not, in most states it’s completely legal.

If anyone would know the answer to my question I appreciate the response.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
in order to buy legally online, you must have it shipped to an FFL licensed dealer, who will be doing the background check.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Sure, you can buy a gun online but it has to be the same legal type. Not full auto unless you have a federal permit for it and they can only ship your gun to a licensed gun dealer. The dealer will charge you for that and he has to register the gun if it is a pistol.

So the article is blowing smoke up Congresses butts for more gun control. Buy one privately if you want to get around the government or some states you can still buy new from gun shows without problems.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
you can just down load the blue prints for pretty much any weapon,and build it yourself.if you're good at steel work.the u.k has a tighter security than america though.and people resort to buying co2 air pistols and converting them to real guns.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Agreed, the media seems to have left that little detail out.
Can you buy a gun without a check of any sort?
Sure you can, I used to do it back in the day.
But nowadays the only gun you're gonna buy with no check is an illegal one.
Why is ommitting facts not considered outright lying when it is the media?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
They're talking about buying from a private seller as is done from a newspaper ad.SKS modified to shoot AK ammo? Total liberal rant.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
only possible in US and A - a "loophole" to buy guns...in europe its pretty much impossible to obtain a gun....and in america you can get one without anything...crazy country and a absolutly unnecessary privilege
kinda ironic that you keep your freedom to buy a gun but you accept to get xrayd (because of the guns)...idiocracy

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
They're talking about buying from a private seller as is done from a newspaper ad.SKS modified to shoot AK ammo? Total liberal rant.

Wait, a firearm designed to use 7.62x39mm ammo was modified to fire 7.62x39mm ammo?

I love how with all the research staff and resources media outlets just cannot be bothered to make sure when they're talking about firearms they arent making complete asses of themselves.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yeah one of the liberal yahooos at work was talking about the so called "loop hole" this morning. I told him the exact same thing, if you buy a gun online they must ship it to a FFL dealer where the background check will be performed. If I buy a gun from a private party, I must meet that person at the FFL where my background check will be run. No loop hole, that is the only way it can be done legally unless you are directly related to the person. Any other firearm purchase minus the FFL is an illegal transaction.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yep, the total ignoance of non gun owners is the one weakness that the reponsible gun owners MUST address......
The goverment is constantly lying....
Lying by omission, or fudging the numbers to show what they want.....making statements that are dicey and questionable, but dont get fully straightened out in the publics mind....
Gun Control is a game of inferrence and innuendo, with poorly presented statistics and downright inaccuracoes which smack of deliberate propaganda.
What the Gun Walker scandal has illustrated so very aptly, is the way the officials outright lie, and prevaricate to skew the facts.
The main concern of the BATF, is not rectifting the situation, and locking the door so to speak.....
they primarily seem to be spending the bulk of their resources in covering up, obfuscating evidence, and denying responsibility.
In some countries, the responsible minister would be exxpected to immediately tender his resignation as he would be deemed not fit to oversee his department .
Much of the anti gun rhetoric in print, and on air, is false or erroneous, and is slanted to the gun control side.
There is obviously a move by the goverment, to demonize those who wish to exercise their second ammendment rights.....
It has been ongoing for decades, and has not diminished nor let up in the face of supreme court decisions or laws bolstering this freedom.
The media are working hand in glove with the gun control lobby, that much is as plain as day.
How much longer freedon can withstand the assault on it is hard to predict....nat much longer i dont think....unless gun owners win the hearts and minds battle in the public perception.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

This has nothing to do with "online." It has everything to do with "private sales."

A gun store cannot sell a gun without a background check, that goes for physical or online stores. A person on the other hand, can sell whatever they want to whomever they want, and it is outside of regulation. UNLESS, the person is doing it on a broad scale, and if they are buying and selling too many guns, or guns for a profit, then they need to be FFL registered and regulated by the Fed and the State.

So, this is really a non-issue.

If someone wants to scour the internet and buy every individual gun for sale, it is fine. They'll probably pay too much, get crappy weapons, and spend the majority of their time driving to and fro to meet people.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thank you for your responses.

I'd have to say my initial thoughts on this article was that it was an aim at our second amendment rights, and to get backing from the general public's fear of criminals and terrorists getting high powered weapons easily.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
some of you might be interested to see this video
Ran across this yesterday...I had no Idea you could buy one of these

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I would watch out here, I don't think the mods would like it if you were hitting members up to illegally buy guns. Honestly, if you can't pass the background check for a gun i feel better off with you not having one.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

First rule of safe shooting..... NEVER shoot directly at the water its called ricochet and its a good way to kill your self or someone else

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TGRHredux

They probably meant that people were modding their SKS's to except AK magazines....which is possible, but only increases your capacity from 10 or 20 fixed to 30 detachable I believe. Still stays semi-auto and the mod doesn't always go so well.

And yes, the guy in the video is a complete idiot for shooting point blank into the water.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
only possible in US and A - a "loophole" to buy guns...in europe its pretty much impossible to obtain a gun....and in america you can get one without anything

Background check?

...crazy country and a absolutly unnecessary privilege
kinda ironic that you keep your freedom to buy a gun but you accept to get xrayd (because of the guns)...idiocracy

Isn't every square block of London under surveillance?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ok, I see a lot of false statements revolving around firearms purchases.
So, lets get the correct info out there.

There is no federal registration of firearms, unless they are considered Class 3, like fully automatic, SBR/SBS and suppressors.
When you purchase a firearm commercially, where it is storefront or online, the dealer must complete a Federal Background check of the person buying the firearm.
Or, if transferring the sale from one state to another.
Most states do not require a background check for a private sale. Some do. Most do require the seller to do their due diligence, and ask to see a valid in state license and/or CCW. And most prefer you complete a generic bill of sale with SN of firearm.

Now, most commercial/retail sellers will file all paperwork, including your personal info, and store it for 5-10 years. Same goes for FFL dealers.

Hope this helps.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This is kind of sensationalized a bit. Any regular rifle you buy at big 5 could "take down" a non-military airplane. Planes were not really made to be shot at. Anything that hit the engine area would cause enough damage to make them land.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
you can just down load the blue prints for pretty much any weapon,and build it yourself.if you're good at steel work.the u.k has a tighter security than america though.and people resort to buying co2 air pistols and converting them to real guns.

Really? who told you that rubbish? it would be easier to make the live ammo gun from scratch, provided you have $5.000 worth of machine tools.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join