It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The off topic : Computer Help forum needs some friendly guidelines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think the title says it all , The off topic : computer help forum would benefit from some guidelines on how to ask for help. People keep asking for help on problems without even stating what computer or operating system they have running.

Heres an example from the other day :

webkit2webprocess.exe - why does it keep popping up?

i've googled it and cant really find any help, at least none that i can understand.

this damn box keeps popping up saying webkit2webprocess.exe cant access server or some crap.

As you can see this is impossible to diagnose the problem or suggest a sensible solution without some basic background info such as operating system or machine.

Just a simple set of guidelines will do for example :

How to ask for help

You will find it much easier to get help if you provide the following information :

- Computer type (eg. PC / Mac)
- Architecture (32bit / 64 bit)
- Hardware (If know, RAM , Video Card etc)
- Operating system and version (eg. Windows 7 starter/ home basic / premium / professional / enterprise / ultimate)

- The problem (please include any error codes)
- What you have tried to fix it (if you have tried anything).
- Any additional info.

edit on 9-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
try posting in this forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

lot's of technical people watch there.

some don't see the admin threads.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

You do realise that, without being condescending, but not all users who have IT issues will be able to answer those questions?

That's no disrespect to anyone on here, but not everyone is clued up on IT.
edit on 9/2/12 by Death_Kron because: Punctuation

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I agree not everyone is going to be an expert in IT but i didnt mean make it an absolute requirement on every post. What i was thinking was maybe a sticky thread in that forum that just suggests if you can provide the info it would be more helpful in diagnosing any problems quickly and efficiently.

Maybe in the sticky thread it could have some directions on how to find out the info.

Its very easy in windows 7

- Click the Start Menu
- Right click 'Computer'
- Choose properties

Then you will see Windows version , 32 or 64 bit , Processor , RAM etc..

Maybe asking for the video card is a bit much but all the rest of the info is easy enough with a few simple directions.

At the moment there is a sticky thready in that forum with some very detailed technical directions on how to get rid of virus / trojans for XP so i think a friendly sticky on how to ask for help couldnt hurt.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go. For me personally it would be pretty easy to give that sort of info and a shed load more in a variety of operating systems, all I meant was that some people aren't really that "genned" up on computers and may struggle.

But yeah, overall I agree with your idea, just didn't want people to feel intimidated if they didn't have the knowledge to provide said information.

It's all about helping, if they can't find the spec then help them find it

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I didnt think you were having ago

Im currently working my way though all the Microsoft systems engineer exams and it would be easier to give better help to people if they provided just a bit more info when they posted a problem

TBH im surprised they havent got some friendly guidelines already. Almost all computer help forums ive been to have suggestions on how to ask for help more efficiently.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

MCSE track eh? Nice one, stick at it.

I agree, but when you spend time on doing first line support you kinda realise how, to put it nicely, "uneducated" some people can be

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

MCSE track eh? Nice one, stick at it.

Yeah , you go it in one

ATS is my only distraction from studying at the moment lol

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Personally I'm more involved with the Cisco way of doing things, but yeah Microsoft is still out there and something that needs learning, had lot's of fun days playing with GPO, AD, Exchange, SQL etc, ever want a technical chat then feel free to drop me a U2U

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Thanks Death_Kron , Ive just finished all my MCP , MCTS, desktop support etc , next its MCSE and im sure ill have to tackle CISCO eventually

new topics

top topics

join