It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$100,000 for YOU, if ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
An MIT scientist has put up $100,000 to be given anyone that can prove to him quantum computing is impossible.

$100,000 if you can prove quantum computing impossible

Scott Aaronson, a scientist at MIT who works mostly with theoretical quantum computers, issued a challenge to all of those deniers out there: prove that "scalable quantum computing is impossible in the physical world," and Aaronson will personally pony up $100,000 to the winner.

Very cool stuff. Ah, now, If only my math was better.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Lol, I was excited until I saw that advanced math was involved. Now I'm DOOOOOOMED. Seriously though, who COULDN'T use that sum of money? I have student loans to pay off and all of the other wonderful problems that run up upon us financially in life.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Welp...I lost my shot

If he's already proven that it is possible then is there really a point to try to prove him wrong.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
What quantum computing?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Quantum computing is impossible because I don't even know what it means, therefore it doesn't exist in my reality.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
He might as well just make it $900 centillion dollars.

You can't prove a negative.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I cant see why quantum computers cant work in the real world. Theres tonnes of evidence now supporting macroscopic quantum events. Not to mention the icing on the cake, superconductors, which scientists have shown that the atoms can all share the same quantum state making the millions of atoms act as one entity. the mechanism for this is called superposition.

Quantum computers are powerful machines using the quantum world to do the calculations. A quantum computer using 8 qubits can break any code in seconds. A classical computer doing the same thing can take years or even decades for it to crack the code.
edit on 9-2-2012 by minor007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spookyjack
Quantum computing is impossible because I don't even know what it means, therefore it doesn't exist in my reality.

Yes, and when I close my eyes nobody can see me.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Considering any attempt to prove him wrong would probably cost far more than 100.000 in research... I'll pass

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

An MIT scientist has put up $100,000 to be given anyone that can prove to him quantum computing is impossible.

This doesn't make any sense.

The first quantum computer has already been sold:
First Quantum Computer Sold

This is a very significant time in the history of D-Wave. We’ve sold the world’s first commercial quantum computer to a large global security company, Lockheed Martin. That’s a real milestone for us. We are excited to work with Lockheed and future customers to tackle complex problems traditional methods cannot resolve.

That was 8 or 9 months ago.

I could offer a billion dollars and just show this story to anybody who tried to claim it...seems pretty silly.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by nineix

This doesn't make any sense.

The first quantum computer has already been sold:
First Quantum Computer Sold

This is a very significant time in the history of D-Wave. We’ve sold the world’s first commercial quantum computer to a large global security company, Lockheed Martin. That’s a real milestone for us. We are excited to work with Lockheed and future customers to tackle complex problems traditional methods cannot resolve.

That was 8 or 9 months ago.

I could offer a billion dollars and just show this story to anybody who tried to claim it...seems pretty silly.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

Interesting. I was unaware of this.
Perhaps this guy is talking about a different direction or application of quantum computing as of yet realized?

It's one thing to fly in a balloon, then a plane, then to break sound barrier, then space travel.

I dunno.

This popped up in my new feed for particle physics and I thought I'd post it.

edit on 9-2-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'll give $100,000 dollars to anyone that can build me a time machine.

Seriously.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Hmm... I think I'd rather have the time machine.... $100,000 for a time machine is pretty cheap. There are cars that run at a higher premium.

Not that I think time travel is possible, mind you. The nature of quantum mechanics would seem to imply that our own past is just as indeterminate as our future.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
Welp...I lost my shot

If he's already proven that it is possible then is there really a point to try to prove him wrong.

No one is going to give lots $ unless they know its impossible to be disproven. publicity stunt maybe?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It's both possible and impossible. There, can I have $50,000 at least?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure I can prove this... but I can prove some lonely old men masturbate over nude 3D buck rogers girls!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
I'm not sure I can prove this... but I can prove some lonely old men masturbate over nude 3D buck rogers girls!

Yeah, but he wont give you $100,000 dollars for what you do in your spare time.

No, but really. I admit, I have no idea what Quantum computing is.....

And there is math involved and I can barely add double digits in my head....So....

Hmm..What if I say...It's impossible...Until we figure out a way.....Does that count for anything?

edit on 9-2-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

Yes, you can prove a negative. Mathematicians do it all the time.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
reply to post by boncho

Hmm... I think I'd rather have the time machine.... $100,000 for a time machine is pretty cheap. There are cars that run at a higher premium.

Not that I think time travel is possible, mind you. The nature of quantum mechanics would seem to imply that our own past is just as indeterminate as our future.

Shhh.

I'm trying to wrangle in all the poor people who know how to build time machines...

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
If this wasn't so damn far over my head, that $100,000 would be mine.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join