It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do processor companies supress technology??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Wow...a bone welder.....cool.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The truth is everything that you see in the world today was available 20 years ago. likewise the true level of our tech is 20 years ahead of where we currently are.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Wow...a bone welder.....cool.

yeah... l really wonder why after all these years why the particular piece of technology hasnt made it out into the mainstream...

oh wait, i just answered my own question.... "MONEY".

the doctors would be losing alots of cash is they they could weld bones right there at the scene of an accident.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tim_uk74
The truth is everything that you see in the world today was available 20 years ago. likewise the true level of our tech is 20 years ahead of where we currently are.

yeah... i remember hearing something like:

mainstream technology is 20years behind military tech. in turn, military tech is 20years behind that of the government....

[edit on 9/18/2004 by Assassin]

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
these companies hold back the technology that they have developed because it would not be beneficial to monopolise the market by doing so.. as long as they are just ahead of competitors, this will be enough to ensure that they get enough revenue to keep the company in power and hold an ace card up their sleeves.. if they monopolised the processor market then they would be inhibited by the goverment in the same way that Microsoft had been...

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Linux
Sorry if I was a bit hostile in my last post. However even with all the multiple tasks most people might do, its still not enough to surpass the 120 GB limit. Don't you think?

No, everynow and then i'll record a 1 hour show with no commercails makes it around 45 minutes and that take a little over a gigabit.
Games are also getting more advanced and more polygons and detail and longer lasting, so it turn it will take more space to store all of that on.
Some people have HUGE amounts of songs on there computers, I personaly have around 650-700, but i guy i know has more that 10 gigs of music alone.
I have 2 hard drives and have 240 gigs total, I still have a ways to go before its full but I can always buy another one if nessisary, people always want more, its in are nature.

Bone Healer! I'm not so sure I believe this one, because there would be alot of money to be made with this, just because its easier and less painful doesn't mean you cant jack up the price of healing a bone.
I think your dad was joking around with ya.
Its either that or it had some bad long term effect or on some patients it did more bad then good.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
No, everynow and then i'll record a 1 hour show with no commercails makes it around 45 minutes and that take a little over a gigabit.
Games are also getting more advanced and more polygons and detail and longer lasting, so it turn it will take more space to store all of that on.
Some people have HUGE amounts of songs on there computers, I personaly have around 650-700, but i guy i know has more that 10 gigs of music alone.
I have 2 hard drives and have 240 gigs total, I still have a ways to go before its full but I can always buy another one if nessisary, people always want more, its in are nature.

Afraid im gonna say it again. These are MORE examples of streaming video and gaming like I mentioned before. Set these aside for two minutes and have a look. BESIDES graphics and video data in any way - the typical user needs not more then 120 GB. Even 10 gigs of music alone doesn't merit anymore then 120 GB of hard drive space. Your failing to see my point, typical joe blow doesn't require that much hard drive space! If they download music they STILL don't need that much space.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
why did they have a Bone Welder at AT&T?

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Of course they do and not just with processors.....we can say without a doubt in all electronics/mechanics/technologies (car's too) ....we need to be MILKED to get the economy going. That is to buy things time after time with a bit more improvement. Sad but true...,,,welcome to the real world'''

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Linux - Current typical people probly wouldn't need more then 120 gigs.

But that will change relitively soon, people who used computers used to be considered "nerds", now when some one doesn't have a computer there considered to be "not up on the times", its no longer a "Nerd" item, which means more people use them then ever before, wether it be for home or business, and them learning about them at work helps with at home and they start seeing all what a computer can do, then they relize that not only can you save pics and music you can save movies and tv shows, then with that comes the need for more room to store everything. (It all has a spiral effect)

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azza
why did they have a Bone Welder at AT&T?

not too sure... but, they have thier hands in more than just communication technology to be sure... as is the case with most big companies im sure.

as for the bone welder thing being a joke... who knows, i dont recall seeing anything but seriousness on his face when telling me things like that.

i'll give him a call in a day or so, just to ask if he was joshin' me.
after all, what reason would he have for lying (to his adult son) about it now?

[edit on 9/19/2004 by Assassin]

E_T

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by el_illumbrato

illumbrato, I believe the fastest consumer ram is now 800Mhz effective? Correct me if im wrong.
um, im not too sure but as far as i know the fastest ram out (in terms of a single dimm) is pc4500 ram which runs at 550MHz.

That's already DDR (double data rate) meaning that it's real memorybus speed is 275 MHz. It just can transfer data on both edges of pulse. (effectively doubling its data transfer speed)

RDRAM has the highest memorybus clock speed, 1066 MHz, but there are also lot other things which affect to performance.

One of the biggest is bus width, 64 bit bus can transfer double amount of data in same time (clock pulse) as 32 bit bus. (imagine it as lanes on highway, if you double amount of lanes it means double amount of cars can drive through it in same time)

Other one is latency which means how many clock pulses it takes to get out of data from that certain area of memory.
Record class bus speeds doesn't matter if processor have to wait many clock pulses for data it asked.

RDRAM sucked in both of these respects and now DDR2 has double latencies compared to normal DDR. (even without rise of clock speed)

E_T

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GODFLESH
Good point about the heat problem. They are getting rid of the standard case format we have now ATX, with BTX. BTX allows supports mobo's that have more "cooling sense" to them, like better place for RAM and PCI cards.

Problem isn't ATX, the real problem is excessive power consumption/heat production.
Problem's of ATX are just consequensies of that real problem.

At least Intel should really change it's processor designs from current heating system to architecture of Pentium-M. (1,7 GHz P-M is pretty much equal to 2,8 GHz P4 but consumes only under one third of power)
Good start would be to make double core processors basing on 1,7GHz P-M , power consumption of it would be still under half what these current "fastest" heating resistors consume and calculating power at least equal to 4 GHz P4 based processor.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Although all this mores law business makes things interesting too... however.... I firmly believe in thepower of Quantum computing and the Qbit proccessor. With a network of Quantum computers we could really crunch some searious numbers.... we would be able to litrally be able to live in a virtual world and maybe even an imerging AI.

All the Best People.

Tim,

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Bottom line is the
average grandma,student,mom,etc does not need a 120 GB HDD. All of that can be accomplished with a 4 y/o e-machine. Computers are used for onlya few things...
1. MAss computing in design and/or medical programming.
2. Games are the BIGGEST reason for updates.
3. Geeks will always have the newset and best and that is what the industry depends on.

but please tell me what the average computer user needs more than a 40 gb HDD for???? our a 3 GHZ processor. Now, the advacnements in memory are great but there is a shelf for the average end user.

To answer the question though, yes they supress the technology.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by esdad71]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
es they withhold stuff, yes they plan obscolecance (spelling?) and it is killing thechnology... well holding it bacj at least.

Capitalism is holding technology back.

Its tech for moneys sake, not tech for humanities sake.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Corinthas- BINGO
There are cures for many htings also and there is technology to get 100 mpg but where is the money to be made by large corporations.

PS..don't try to blame it on BUsh either...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
the problem is its not that the average joe needs 120 gigs its that the average joe is turning into the hard core gamer.

yes anyone from 35 and younger have played pc games when they where young. Because of that they play games now. And they younger they are the more games they play. Shoot if I had to pick T.V. or games I would pick games 9 times out of 10. The only problem I have is there is so few games that last longer then a few days 8(

mech 4, 6 hours. mech 4 merc, 7.2 hours. mech commander, 8.2 hours.
starwars Jedi acadamy 7 hours, sw jedi outcast 9 hours, starwars KOTOR 48 hours all side quests done. number of deaths 1 average play for the game listed by company 139 hours.

Halo on all level settings 13 hours non stop 8)
UT 1 solo game in 3 hours 20 hours to make the top 10 list in the country for the week. top 100 for all time took 16 hours.

as of right now playing doom 3/sims2/fable/swg/coh and in beta for swg Jump to light speed.
I think you get the basic idea.

Once the 35+ year olds are all dead the joe blow will play games more then they watch T.V.

I my self have around 200 gigs of hard drive space on 10k rpm drives and only have around 60 left thats not counting the 180 cd's of moves/tv I have in my room nore the 80-100 games that I dont have installed on my pc.

also doing photo editing really eats up the harddrive space one of my projects took up close to 500 megs on one pic.

and yes I have way to many games. I buy on average 5-15 games a month.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by shadarlocoth]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The average Joe is not becoming a hardcore gamer, the avg joe just has more disposable money to spend on hte technology and all it's advances.

Most people go to Circuit city and buy a pc. Most new pc's are now shipping with 60-80 GB HDD's from companies like Dell for 600 bucks. Storage technology is cheap, it is the video and audio that cost more along with newer versions of memory (DDR,etc). 400 dollar video cards to play Doom 3 or Halo pc. 200 dollar audigy boards for home recording. 1 GB of memory.
I know, because I mix my own music on pc and lots of video/photoshop editing.

Now, to have a pc used at a place like Pixar or LucasFilm, to die for....but not for the avg home user.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
heheh....

My sucky system specs are

2.8 p4 800fsb HT

1.5 gigs of ram

abit ic7 motherboard

sound blaster audigy 7.1 digital with speakers.

2 76 gig 10k rpm hard drives and 2 crappy 20 giggers.

geforce 6800 ultra gt 256

and of corse its in a moded case with upgraded cooling and light effects hehe....

But its sad to say its time for another upgrade....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join