It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever jolt in your sleep at the EXACT same time as something makes a loud noise in your room?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have experienced this many many times, Im laying down just on the verge of sleep and for whatever reason something makes a loud noise eg the blinds blowing out and hitting the glass, My body jolts not because of it, but as it happens..as If I anticipated it.

Possible explanation;?

Here

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
omg! just reading your thread gave me goose bumps! this happens all the time to me!
i recently broke my ribs,and waking up this way is extremely painfull!
i recently had a dream where i was in a cab,and the driver fell out his door,leaving the cab with no 'pilot' heading straight for some pedestrians. i lunged to grab the wheel so as not to run them down,only to wake up on the floor wincing in agony. the sound that woke me up was my dog jumping off the bed!!!

i'm glad to know someone else 'suffers' from this. well,not glad,tot good to know i'm not alone!
peace

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Not sure this is exactly the same, but its still weird. Its happened a couple of times, but the event I'm describing was by far the worst.

I was laying in bed drowsing, in that state where you are still awake, kinda, but also asleep. Then I began to hear these loud cracking noises. That's when I realized the noise was the sound of my neck and back cracking; somehow I was managing to throw my upper body forward in such a way as to "pop" the joints. This happened over a period of a couple of minutes and was absolutely terrifying. I had no control over what was happening; it almost felt like someone was deliberately whipping me back and forth. My husband woke me up by shaking me and told me my body had been "snapping" and was I okay? I was so scared it took several minutes for him to calm me down.

That was a couple of years ago, it hasn't happened since. Don't know if it was a super-crazy version of sleep paralysis or what.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I had a loud crack sound in my chest when it happened to me woke me up the first time then every time after caused me to pass out ( I mean when i jumped up to get help pop I was somewhere else in my mind and total pain woke up face firmly pressed on the concrete floor jumped up again etc...) an amount of pain that is unimaginable (never ever heard anyone ever describe this type of pain ever) over and over again about every 5 sec it took me a bout 30 mins to get help. After they took me to the er got put on the ekg and was told I was fine nothing to see here move along etc... glad it hasn't happened again. Hope it wasn't as bad for the rest of ya.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
An older story, told in a book from 1921.
Hidden Self and Its Mental Processes
By H. Ernest Hunt

There is also the interesting case related of a man who dreamed through long episodes of the French Revolution, culminating in his execution on the guillotine ; the fall of the knife and its stroke on his neck awakened him with a shock to find that he had been struck by a falling bed-rail.
It had come loose and had fallen, striking the dreamer on the neck ; and the whole drama of the Revolution had been woven round the accident.

Other stories illustrate how large amounts of time can elapse in a dream, when in "real" time only a very short period has elapsed.

Or in other words, dont believe that you can actually tell that your jolt and the outside world incident actually happened at the EXACT same time.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SageBeno

Most definitely, I wake up usually right when my roommate yells my name out to wake up for class. Lol. It is weird, its like my brain is already programmed to respond to the situation even when I am knocked out.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I know exactly what you mean! Very weird, I didn't know that was a common thing.

Great post!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

This goes on with what I mean, Ive experienced episodes so similar its not funny.....

Amazing stuff none the less.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
If someone says my name when I'm sleeping I wake up and sit up straight, fully awake (Not even drowsy), in record time. I have also had exploding head syndrom and these long dreams which are acctually only seconds short. I rememberr I had a long dream about a guty shasing me, suddenly he shot me and I could feel the paint in my arm and when i woke up i saw my hand flying out in a jolt (because i woke up scared) and hit my bars on the bed with hard force causing the pain I felt in the dream.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
it could be things moving because you jolted from the noise
It happens to me all the time when im sleeping. I will hear a loud bang or electric sounds. Turns out I have this
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Other stories illustrate how large amounts of time can elapse in a dream, when in "real" time only a very short period has elapsed.

Or in other words, dont believe that you can actually tell that your jolt and the outside world incident actually happened at the EXACT same time.

Well that's one theory. It would mean that our dreams, as long as they may seem to us, exist in very small pockets of relativistic time.

Another theory is that the information in our dreams is connected to information in our waking life and our "two lives" sort of fold over each other. It could be the same information but a different perception of it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Interesting thread.
I usually jolt awake seconds before something happens, like a loud noise or my alarm going off.
Always wondered how that worked.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I sometimes wake up an instant before my alarm clock starts going off, but that's expected even unconsciously. Part of my natural cycle. What I find happening more is the exact opposite. My bedroom is full of white noise; window A/C unit, three computers with their many many fans, I even leave soft music playing all night long. Total silence is creepy to me. So every time I'm asleep when the power to the house goes out for some reason, I'm instantly wide-awake, no matter what. The sudden cessation of sound wakes me up faster than any noise short of a nuclear detonation ever could. I don't think I've ever experienced precognitive noise expectation like yours, or precognitive anything, really... stupid brain, refusing to turn on its own God Module day after day... but my brain still has fun at my expense now and then anyway. Perhaps yours is, too.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I have had this occur, but I suffer from what it known as Exploding Head Syndrome. I know it sounds funny, but it's actually a real parasomnia. It's actually pretty fascinating. This does not necessarily account for all such experiences of course, however.

The jerk or twitch is called a hypnic jerk and is pretty common.
edit on 2/10/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I frequently twitch on the verge of sleep too, but never got serious injury from it. I seem to have a vision of a brick wall flying towards me and the twitch is me flinching in response. Worst I've had was headbutting the wall after twitching, which sucked...

A little off-topic here, I woke up this morning and accidentally punched myself in the nose when trying to move my arm after lying on it for what must have been an hour
It was like someone else's arm it was so numb and cold lol.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SageBeno

No, but I always wake up a few seconds before my alarm and shut it off before it can annoy me

I have managed to wake myself up from nightmares as well by realizing I was dreaming and shaking myself awake. When I was a kid I also had a nightmare within a nightmare within a nightmare within a nightmare, in each nightmare I would wake up and think I was in the real world only to find I was still dreaming.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So you made a thread linking to another thread? Why not just post in said thread?

Anyway I have experienced this many times, I would put it down to the 'loss' of time during the early stages of sleep thus given the impression that you have 'anticipated' the noise.

ALS

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SageBeno
I have experienced this many many times, Im laying down just on the verge of sleep and for whatever reason something makes a loud noise eg the blinds blowing out and hitting the glass, My body jolts not because of it, but as it happens..as If I anticipated it.

Possible explanation;?

Here

It is a reflex.

It is a nerve impulse ,your brain reacts to the alarming noise within milliseconds.
At around the age of 20 the average speed of auditory processing is 68 milliseconds. The average speed at around 40 years is about 87 milliseconds and about 106 milliseconds if you are aged about 60

You would not be able to discern between the time it took between the event and it reaching your brain when thinking back to it in case of a reflex.

Being in a state of rest and silence probably lowers these numbers.

edit on 10-2-2012 by Rafe_ because: typ-o

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I thouroughly believe in things similar to this but I think you just woke up because of a noise.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join