It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs in Chile - BAVE's Rodrigo Bravo Garrido on Pilot UFO Cases.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Rodrigo Bravo Garrido, Captain and Pilot for the BAVE (Aviation Brigade of the Chilean Army) explains how many UFO reports on file are from military pilots describing objects that do not correspond to normal air traffic and 'pose a potential threat to air safety' - he also describes an incident from Tepual Airport in 1988 where a Boeing 737 had a near collision with a 'large white light surrounded by green and red' which was coming directly at the aircraft from the opposite direction, the object was also witnessed by the ground control tower personnel and only a steep turn from the pilot avoided mid-air impact.

Rodrigo Bravo GARRIDO, Captain and Pilot for the Aviation Army of Chile. In 2000, he was assigned to conduct an internal study titled "Introduction to Anomalous Aerial Phenomenon and their considerations for aerospace security" involving previous case reports military planes encounters with UAP. For the last several years he has continued this research on recent and current cases affecting aviation safety in cooperation with the Committee for the Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena (CEFAA), a branch of the General Administration of Civil Aeronautics, Chile's FAA.

In 2000, the Aviation branch of the Army of Chile assigned me to research anomalous aerial phenomena, which they knew were real, and their affect on aerospace security. I then graduated to become a military pilot, and learned that the Aviation Amy had in its files many reports of UFO incidents from military pilots.

A link was then established between our Army office and the CEFAA, and as a result, nine official cases have been documented. This has helped to create awareness among the flight crews about UFOs, and they now cooperate with flight security to report any abnormal situation.

One of our most important civil aviation cases occurred in 1988, showing that unidentified flying objects can be a danger for air operations. A Boeing 737 pilot, on a final approach to the runway at “The Tepual” Airport in Puerto Montt City, suddenly encountered a large white light surrounded by green and red. The light was moving in the opposite direction of the airplane, coming straight at it. The pilot had to make a steep turn to the left in order to avoid a collision. The phenomenon was observed by the control tower personnel.

Pilot Transcript:

THE PUERTO MONTT NEAR COLLISION CASE

One of the Chilean cases discussed in Capt. Bravo’s book is a near-collision case between an airliner and a UFO in 1988 near the El Tepual airport in Puerto Montt, a city in southern Chile. This is an AE-IV according to Bravo’s new classification. The case was actually revealed many years ago in Información Aeronáutica, the official magazine of Chile’s General Administration of Civil Aeronautics (DGAC, the equivalent of our FAA). The report and transcript of the radio communications between the pilot and the control tower was written by Air Traffic Controller Gustavo Rodríguez Navarro, who later became Secretary of CEFAA, the Chilean government’s Committee for the Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena, which is under the DGAC. The incident in question occurred on June 1, 1988 as Chilean Air Lines (LAN) Boeing 737 flight 045 (La045) was approaching the El Tepual airport. Here is an excerpt of the radio transcript around midnight between La045 and ACC (Area Control Center):

La045: Puerto Montt Center, can you tell me if you have some traffic in front of you?

ACC [Area Control Center]: Confirm what?

La045: Just in front… I have an airplane just in front!

ACC: No, negative.

La045: Listen, I have an airplane, I have a light here in front, right on our flight path.

The controller looked out the window and saw indeed “a white light coming to the airport from the north.” He followed the light’s path for about 5 minutes and at one point was able to see the object closer: “This object came to about 1500 meters from my position, always to the north and that was the nearest I saw it… I could observe some flashes of light coming from the lower part, which lighted the lower part or base of the object; I had the impression that this lower part was flat and with a metallic aspect; I estimate that it was circular and with a diameter of about 60 meters.”

Meanwhile, the communication between La045 and ACC was becoming frantic. The pilot mentioned four times the words, “I had a near collision,” and the supervising controller at the Tower also saw the object with binoculars. Another sample from the transcript:

La045: Do you still have the traffic in sight, or not?

ACC: I am losing it and according to the… the radar is not detecting the traffic.

La045: At the moment, I don’t… also… we don’t see it, but it was on a collision path with us.

ACC: I am seeing it again.

La045: There, I can see it again, to the right, to the right, I am seeing it!

Flight 045 landed in Puerto Montt without further disturbances. The pilot’s language on the tape was uninhibited, excited and with Chilean slang, like that of someone who has just lived an intense experience. The fact that the UFO was simultaneously observed by the crew and from the ground leaves little doubt that this was a real object.

CEFAA:

www.cefaa.gob.cl...

CEFAA establish cooperation agreement with Uruguay:

ufoupdateslist.com...

CEFAA sign official research agreement with NARCAP:

www.narcap.org...
edit on 7-5-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

It always makes me happy when credible witnesses make note of or mention the contamination of ridicule and sideshow like association given this phenomenon, and call for serious, objective scientific study.

Personally, I'm a skeptic, not a believer, but, I do recognize that something is going on, and whatever that something is, is interesting, and should deserve some close scrutiny by objective, peer reviewed scientific study with some stout funding behind it.

It could be aliens, critters, or some misunderstood natural phenomenon that creates what seems to be solid objects balls of light and such.

Sometimes this phenomenon reminds me of the Scientific American article describing the discovery of the biggest partical; called the Bigon.
That article was an April Fools joke article. Still, it's an interesting idea. What if these 'craft' were simply really huge paricles? or left over bits of strange junk from when the universe was first formed?

of course, they could very well be intelligently controlled vehicles piloted by ET, but, eh, I've a feeling it'll be one of those things we never know for quite a very long time yet.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Video transcripts describing the 'Eco Inka' case from 1997 where an object was reported by pilot to Air Traffic Control 'changing position at high speed' and the 'Tobalaba Incident' where an unknown object landed on a hill opposite the Airfield and then took off again towards the northwest at high speed.

New video from Chilean government UFO Committee

The 'Eco Inka' Case:

On April 2, 1997, at 21 hours local time, an aircraft from the Chilean Army was doing a nighttime instrumental test flight in the Chacalluta Airport in Arica. When contacted by the controller, who was receiving several phone calls from the city, the pilot responded that he could see a light to the west that was changing position at high speed.

Audio communications

TOWER: Sir, from your position, can you observe toward the sector of Chuño Hill an object somewhat different from normal?

AIRCRAFT: I understand, toward the sector of Buitre?

TOWER: Correct, sir.

AIRCRAFT: From my position apparently I am not seeing anything unusual… Now I have an object approximately at 3 o’clock from my position, I estimate a light which is a little bit higher than the last lights of the city [Arica].

TOWER: Received, could you describe the type of light?

AIRCRAFT: Uh…now it disappeared! It looked similar to the yellow lights of the city… now it appeared again, but more forward… it disappeared again…

TOWER: Received, we have received different [phone] calls saying that in that sector there was an Unidentified Flying Object. We want to be alerted of any report.

AIRCRAFT: Look, it was incredible, I hadn’t seen it, but it really changed position very fast, I had the opportunity of seeing it.

The Tobalaba case

This is undoubtedly an important case because of the following factors: it happened in daytime; there were multiple witnesses including qualified air traffic controllers at a Chilean airfield; the object changed trajectory and speed several times; the object landed nearby and then took off very rapidly.

Audio communications:

TOWER: Tobalaba Terminal, I am reporting that we have in front in the direction of the mountains a round craft lit with the sun moving north, in a slow trajectory toward the north.

AIRCRAFT: Correct, can you repeat the information?

TOWER: Affirmative, a round object lit with the sun over Tobalaba with a slow displacement toward the north.

AIRCRAFT: Can you confirm the approximate altitude?

TOWER: I estimate around eight to nine thousand feet.

AIRCRAFT: Correct, received, keep me informed.

TOWER: OK! Now it’s moving toward the south, in a southern direction and making ascending and descending circles… slow, now it’s gaining speed.

AIRCRAFT: Thanks.

TOWER: A glider, I’m afraid it’s not, it’s not an airplane either because it developed very high speeds, at times very slow, it descended and ascended rapidly and now at this moment it’s landing on the side of a small bank of a hill.

link

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Great thread Karl...

Starred and Flagged

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks for that report Karl, very interesting. I'm wondering if there has ever been a colision between a human aircraft and a UFO and who won.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

It always makes me happy when credible witnesses make note of or mention the contamination of ridicule and sideshow like association given this phenomenon, and call for serious, objective scientific study.

Personally, I'm a skeptic, not a believer, but, I do recognize that something is going on, and whatever that something is, is interesting, and should deserve some close scrutiny by objective, peer reviewed scientific study with some stout funding behind it.

Nineix, thanks for the reply and I certainly can't disagree with anything you've said there - atmospherical physicist Dr James E. Mcdonald makes an interesting statement below about close range sightings of unidentified flying objects and there's certainly a few intriguing examples at the link -when it comes to incidents such as the Tehran case, the Coyne case, the Edwards AFB case, the Colares case, the Portage County case, the Bariloche case, the Red Bluff case, the Shag Harbour case, the Gosford case, the Minot AFB case etc... I have absolutely no idea what the objects are and, like you, do recognize that something is going, but just don't know what it is.

"The type of UFO reports that are most intriguing are close-range sightings of machine-like objects of unconventional nature and unconventional performance characteristics, seen at low altitudes, and sometimes even on the ground. The general public is entirely unaware of the large number of such reports that are coming from credible witnesses... When one starts searching for such cases, their number are quite astonishing. Also, such sightings appear to be occurring all over the globe."

Professor James E. McDonald from the Institute of Atmospheric Physics at the University of Arizona speaking at the AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) in 1968

UFOs - Close Range Sightings.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by NYCUFO

Thanks for that report Karl, very interesting. I'm wondering if there has ever been a colision between a human aircraft and a UFO and who won.

NYCUFO, thanks for the reply and I don't know about that but there is this other very interesting military UFO case from Peru where the pilot was ordered to open fire on the object and shot 64 explosive shells with little or no effect - he then goes on to explain how it performed evasive manoeuvres..

La Joya Military Base, Peru, 1980 - pilot object description:

"At this point, I came within about 300 feet of the UFO. It was about 30 feet in diameter. It was an enameled, cream-colored dome, with a wide, circular, metallic base. It had no engines, no exhausts, no windows, no wings or antennae. It lacked all the typical aircraft components, with no visible propulsion system"

Thread

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Rodrigo Bravo Garrido, Captain and Pilot for the BAVE (Aviation Brigade of the Chilean Army) explains how many UFO reports on file are from military pilots describing objects that do not correspond to normal air traffic and 'pose a potential threat to air safety' - he also describes an incident from Tepual Airport in 1988 where a Boeing 737 had a near collision with a 'large white light surrounded by green and red' which was coming directly at the aircraft from the opposite direction, the object was also witnessed by the ground control tower personnel and only a steep turn from the pilot avoided mid-air impact.

It's interesting that the pilot felt that he would have collided without making the steep turn. Elsewhere I have read that pilots should not try to avoid a UFO, because that is more likely to cause an accident. In other words, they advise pilots to stay calm and trust that the UFO will change course at the last moment to avoid a collision. That seems like good advice if the UFO is actually intelligently controlled and superior technology, but how is a pilot supposed to determine that?
edit on 10-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

Thesearchfortruth, thanks for the post mate and kudos for some great work on the radar UFO thread -very interesting reading.

UFOs—the fastest sightings

There's another interesting Chilean pilot UFO case below, also confirmed on radar, where it's said a long, grey cigar-shaped object flew alongside an Air Force plane for two minutes before leaving at 'high speed' - it doesn't give much more radar data from the Control Center of Santiago but will have a look round for further info.

CASE Nº 20

Date : March 27, 2000

Time: : 18:00 Hours Local Time

Nº of Witnesses : Crew and passengers

Type of Aircraft: : C-550 Citation II

Duration: : 3 minutes

Radar Detection: : Yes

Type of Case : Fourth Kind

Source : CEFAA (Committee for the Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena)

“The crew of a Chilean plane from the Aviation branch of the Army, flying south of Santiago,” stated Bravo at the NPC, “observed a long cigar-shaped object, a brilliant gray. It flew parallel to the right side of the aircraft for two minutes and then disappeared at a very high speed. This objet was detected by the radar of the Control Center of Santiago which notified the crew minutes before the incident.”

link

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

Elsewhere I have read that pilots should not try to avoid a UFO, because that is more likely to cause an accident. In other words, they advise pilots to stay calm and trust that the UFO will change course at the last moment to avoid a collision.

Cloudyday, thanks for the reply and I have to say I've never heard that one before -can you recall where you read it?

There are cases where possible mid-air collisions with aircraft and UFOs looked to be unavoidable yet didn't occur due to the pilot manouvering the aircraft -here's one pretty fascinating example from Argentina where the pilot and passengers describe the object which was also witnessed by a military pilot in a separate jet.

Interviews with Captain, passengers, military - Bariloche, 1995.

"The first impression was shock from people inside the plane -the lights of the object were well defined - there was an orange light on top of it, green lights on the side and the solid part of the object was dark".

Flight Captain Jorge Polanco

link

Cheers.
edit on 6-5-2013 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Documentary about UFO encounters experienced by the Chilean Air Force - Spanish language only.

Part 1 of 5:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
General Ricardo Bermúdez discusses the Pelican UFO Case:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Some great research from NARCAP and more info on the LAN Flight 045 incident and other UFO cases:

English subtitles - pilot transmisions..

LAN Flight 045, Puerto Montt, Chile, June, 1988:

Punta Arenas, 3rd March 2011:

DAP12 Telephone Report:

More

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Interview with Colonel Ariel Sanchez from Uruguay's official UFO office about the UFO research conducted by Uruguay, Chile, Argentna and Peru:

Interview with Colonel Ariel Sanchez, Chairman of CRIDOVNI

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Article describing many different pilot UFO incidents including some over Chilean territory:

South American UFO - Airplane Encounters

Much is made this day of the declassification of UFO material by some of the world's air forces and civil aviation boards, but much of this openness surely mirrors the greater receptiveness toward the UFO subject in society at large. Pilots and workers in the aviation industry who stepped forward years ago with claims of the abnormal could find their flight status revoked or their employment terminated.

We can only imagine the fate of pilot Ricardo France of the LAN carrier, who spoke openly to Chile's REVISTA VEA in January 1972 about being pursued by a flotilla of UFOs over a considerable length of Chilean territory for nearly 90 minutes. It is likely that he underwent rigorous investigation and medical checkups, even when four days after his experience, five hundred cars in the city of Tandil "were paralyzed by a flashing flying saucer" according to the same publication. These unbelievable cases form part of the collection of ufologist Liliana Núñez.

link

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
More strange UFO incidents reported by Chilean Army:

The Army officer recalled that on April 2, 1997, in the city of Arica's Chacalluyta airport, the pilot of a T-212 figthter aircraft witnessed an elongated orange object in the sky for nine minutes.

Another incident of similar characteristics took place in early 2000 in the southern region of Los Lagos, while three military helicopters flew by in broad daylight.

"The crew members witnessed an object on the ground that swiftly rose to the same altitude as the aircraft, positioning itself in front of them, almost on a collision course," said Captain Bravo to an audience that saturated the facilities of the Viña del Mar municipal theater.

He added that the unidentified flying object vanished at high speed after engaging in zig-zagging movements.

Chilean Army Discloses Pilot-UFO Encounters

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Chilean Air Force launch new UFO website and host investigative journalist Leslie Kean.

DGCA launches website with studies and evidence of the existence of UFOs

The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), through the Committee for the Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena (CEFAA) on Wednesday launched its website where there are cases, videos and studies demonstrating the existence of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) in Chile and in the world.

The ceremony was attended by the distinguished journalist, American writer and researcher, Leslie Kean, an expert in this type of phenomena, who said that this initiative of the DGA is a pioneer in the world, as it does not deny the existence of such flying objects and various organizations work together to study them and to make this public information to citizens.

link

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Somebody asked recently 'why do UFOs need lights'. Perhaps the answer is: to help avoid mid-air collisions

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantumfluctuation

Somebody asked recently 'why do UFOs need lights'. Perhaps the answer is: to help avoid mid-air collisions

Or to see where they're going when they submerge into the ocean.

USO Research

There's a pretty good article below taken from the transcripts of the Citizen's UFO Hearings and it makes some very interesting points about Chile and how their UFO department falls under their equivalent of the Federal Aviation Administration (perhaps the UK and US could learn a thing or two) - it also mentions yet more very strange UFO caases from Chile and has a great quote from General Bermúdez

UFOs in Chile, France and Russia – Citizen Hearing Transcripts

In recent years Chile has become one of the world’s leading nations in the official study and recognition of the UFO phenomenon. UFO agencies or departments have been traditionally under the Air Force in most countries. In France, as we shall see in the next session, the effort is under the space agency, but Chile has taken a novel approach which makes logical sense: its committee known as CEFAA (Committee for the Study of Anomalous Aerial Phenomena) is under the Civil Aviation agency DGAC. In other words, it’s like if the FAA, the Federal Aviation Administration, had a UFO department. Civil aviation agencies all over the world deal with aircraft safety and navigation and UFOs, though not regulated by human governmental agencies, are primarily flying in the air and could pose a threat to aviation safety.

Chile has a rich history of UFO cases, some of them highly strange, like an incident involving a group of seven soldiers and a corporal near Putre in Chile’s northern Atacama region near the border with Peru in 1977, the so-called time warp case of Corporal Valdes, which became the subject of my very first article on UFOs back in 1977. In the 1980s, Gustavo Rodriguez, an air traffic controller, began to collect cases involving pilots who would call the control tower asking if there was any traffic that could explain lights or objects they were seeing during the course of their flights. There were also incidents involving the scramble of military jets, a situation common to many countries of the world..

The United States likes to think that it’s always ahead in all areas of society, but I am afraid that this is not the case in the field of ufology. Other countries are moving ahead with an open and transparent investigation of this phenomenon. The unknown nature of the phenomenon itself and the likelihood that it originates not on this Earth requires a change of attitude and a level of openness that seems to be amiss in this country. Let me finish with a quote from my interview with Gen. Bermúdez:

The official conclusion is that the anomalous aerial phenomenon known as unidentified flying objects is real and is present within the controlled airspace and outside the controlled airspace. It is also present in the sea—we have some reports from our navy in that respect. It is present everywhere, and therefore it is necessary to share the information in order to have more background and be able to study it more scientifically, so that we can give real information to the people and not rely on what is shown on TV and in sensationalist media

link

Cheers.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Lots of good documentation. Is there any indication that investigators checked on possible prosaic causes such as Russian satellite launchings?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join