It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence report: Iraq prospects bleak (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A NIE reports forecasts bleak outcome in Iraq. The worst case senerio is a all out civil war by the end of 2005.

edition.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A highly classified National Intelligence Estimate assembled by some of the government's most senior analysts this summer provided a pessimistic assessment about the future security and stability of Iraq.

The National Intelligence Council looked at the political, economic and security situation in the war-torn country and determined -- at best -- the situation would be tenuous in terms of stability, a U.S. official said late Wednesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

At worst, the official said, were "trend lines that would point to a civil war." The official said it "would be fair" to call the document "pessimistic."

edition.cnn.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is bad, the US can't really pull out that would make a mess too. If they stay more and more citizens and troops will be killed. This situation is a clear demonstration of a "can't win for losing".

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Contrast this with what we hear from Bush and Co in this campaign. There is no correlation at all between this report and the rosy picture drawn for the populace.

People wake up. You've been had.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
By the most "senior analysts", my dog could have told this information for free. It is obvious that the situation in Iraq is bleek. More people have died since the war was declared "over". I may need to re-check my facts, or I am sure someone will let me know, but I don't think over a thousand people were killed between the end of the Gulf War, and the start of the present one. There were not kidnappings every week or so, at least none that we heard of. I personally think This Admin was in a hurry to get into Iraq without developing a serious aftermath plan. I was told that everyone would be cheering in support, so far I have not seen this.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well I think we have to accept the situation will be bleak for a long time before improvements are seen. Bush has told us all along it is not an easy or quick job to build a nation. It will take many generations. I think it will be standard for all military personnel to do a 1 year tour in Iraq for the next 30-40 years. I think these first 10 years will be the most difficult and deadly and those soldiers there during this time will be remembered the most fondly as heroes.

If we are lucky we can somehow get the new Iraqi govt. to ask us to leave. Bush and co. have said all along if asked to leave we will. This is the only other option out of this terrifically bad investment I can fathom.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrdependable
If we are lucky we can somehow get the new Iraqi govt. to ask us to leave. Bush and co. have said all along if asked to leave we will.

LOL
Do you believe that for a second? Having bases in Iraq was the one and only real reason for this war.

In fact, if the elections are held tomorrow, I have no doubt that the new Iraqi prez (especially who enjoys a lot of support form the populace, say Al-Sistani) will be on the phone with the White House asking them to leave.

It'll be interesting to watch.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
No I don't believe the US will be leaving ever. I also don't think our troops will ever be asked to leave as without them the new Iraqi govt. would be overthrown in less than a week.

I also believe the real reason we are there is to syphon money from the US consumer to the select few doing the rebuilding. Once the job is done in 30-40 years oil demand will be minimal and Iraq will quickly become bankrupt anyway. Until then enjoy the fleecing.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrdependable
No I don't believe the US will be leaving ever. I also don't think our troops will ever be asked to leave as without them the new Iraqi govt. would be overthrown in less than a week.

I disagree. The current one certainly will. However, if Sunni and Shiites can find a compromise figure (and there have been some signs of cooperation lately), they'll make pretty darn sure it doesn't get overthrown. Al-Sistani can mobilize tens of thousands of people easily, if he wants to.

top topics

join