It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your childhood and how your parents influenced who you are today..

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I think someone else touched on this previously, but I really don't get when people say, "I hate my parents", and the most their parents have done to receive this ire, is to tell them to do the hoovering, or tidy their rooms.
I totally get and understand that some people really do hate their parents, because they were violent, drunk abusers.

I think it shows a massive lack of respect to hate your parents because they want you to do something (insignificant) that you don't want to do. It's what being a kid is like for most people.

I know two people who RAN AWAY FROM HOME because one persons parent told her they were ashamed of her for not tidying her room, and the other ran away because her dog had shed all over the carpet and her mum asked her to hoover the living room. And this second one didn't just run away to a friends house for a day. She packed her bags and moved to the other side of the country with a guy who was 8 years older than her, who she'd met on Myspace and in real life once. In the space of a day. One morning her parents said to her, "Can you hoover the living room, the dog has shed all over the place," then left for work. Her response was to leave and not go back OR speak to them for TWO MONTHS. She only went back because she broke up with this guy after almost 6 years. Did I mention she was in her mid twenties when this happened?

So yeah, this was only an observation. I don't get why people act like babies when their parents ask reasonable things of them. A bit of house work is the least you can do when you don't work or contribute to the earnings.
I'm not making light on people's ordeals with truly abusive parents.
These are kids who were rarely smacked or disciplined. Brats lol

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Originally posted by curious7
Well I didn't get my intelligence and creativity from anyone else in my family so...

Also learned how not to be a parent even though I hate kids and would never have any myself.

Don't think my parents influenced anything in my life, it's all been my own doing.

Thats being strait forward and honest ,your the frist person ive ever heard say there parents didn't influence anything in there life..And if you don't like kids its probley best you don't have any but maybe that will change someday..peace,sugarcookie1

Haha, yeah, nobody in my family is musical or particularly skilled in writing literature as I am.

Plus yeah, I vowed never to have kids because I don't like them plus I don't wanna pass on clinical depression and have anyone else go through what I have to go through because of it.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I'm not sure how I ever got drawn into this stuff...but certainly wasn't my parents.
Both were pretty boring, uncultured, etc. Decent people, don't get me wrong, but I can never see any similarities with them when it comes to what interests me. For a long time, I figured I was adopted and they never told me, hehe....

I later found out (as an adult) my mother was into mysterious subjects, but there was no evidence of it in my childhood.

I've always been fascinated by the unexplained, as early as I can remember. I think you're either born with a hunger for knowing the unknown, or you aren't.

The more I saw, the more I wanted to know, and it's kept going and going since.....

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
I think someone else touched on this previously, but I really don't get when people say, "I hate my parents", and the most their parents have done to receive this ire, is to tell them to do the hoovering, or tidy their rooms.
I totally get and understand that some people really do hate their parents, because they were violent, drunk abusers.

I think it shows a massive lack of respect to hate your parents because they want you to do something (insignificant) that you don't want to do. It's what being a kid is like for most people.

I know two people who RAN AWAY FROM HOME because one persons parent told her they were ashamed of her for not tidying her room, and the other ran away because her dog had shed all over the carpet and her mum asked her to hoover the living room. And this second one didn't just run away to a friends house for a day. She packed her bags and moved to the other side of the country with a guy who was 8 years older than her, who she'd met on Myspace and in real life once. In the space of a day. One morning her parents said to her, "Can you hoover the living room, the dog has shed all over the place," then left for work. Her response was to leave and not go back OR speak to them for TWO MONTHS. She only went back because she broke up with this guy after almost 6 years. Did I mention she was in her mid twenties when this happened?

So yeah, this was only an observation. I don't get why people act like babies when their parents ask reasonable things of them. A bit of house work is the least you can do when you don't work or contribute to the earnings.
I'm not making light on people's ordeals with truly abusive parents.
These are kids who were rarely smacked or disciplined. Brats lol

Lulzaroonie, Thanks for posting..About the girl that left home over her parents asking her to vacuum that was over the top and being in her mid twenties makes it even more silly..But now days there isn't really anyway to punish a kid except for the time out thing and i cant see were thats going to do much..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I'm not sure how I ever got drawn into this stuff...but certainly wasn't my parents.
Both were pretty boring, uncultured, etc. Decent people, don't get me wrong, but I can never see any similarities with them when it comes to what interests me. For a long time, I figured I was adopted and they never told me, hehe....

I later found out (as an adult) my mother was into mysterious subjects, but there was no evidence of it in my childhood.

I've always been fascinated by the unexplained, as early as I can remember. I think you're either born with a hunger for knowing the unknown, or you aren't.

The more I saw, the more I wanted to know, and it's kept going and going since.....

Hello Gazrok thanks for posting..Yeah my parents and i had nothing in common but i rember going to my uncle house and he had old UFO magazines and books on the paranormal i bet i read those magazines 30 times or more so he got me into this without meaning to... Its been just in the last couple of months i told him i post on a website that talks about this kinda thing and he just smiled..peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join