It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

Why would you say something as ignorant as "See I told you so" regarding something that is statistically already a given?

Why the hell can't gays be miserable and ask for a divorce?

I think gays just want the same opportunity given to straight people.

Marriage is a public institution not a religious one. Our current Marriage laws resemble that of Rome more than any religious culture.

I think gays should have the same rights as others and while they may/may not be able to marry in a church, they should be able to sign state documents that other individuals are given the opportunity to do.

I'm all for equal rights and if you dislike equal rights then I don't know what else to say.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
After reading pretty much every comment I was interested to see the amount of 'I aren't homophobic but...' comments.

I am assuming a lot of the comments are coming from the US and it doesn't surprise me, I am just glad that I live in England where gay people can now get married in churches and will soon be able to call their partnership a marriage.

For anyone who says that they don't agree with using the word 'marriage' even though you aren't religious, what's that about?? Religion is the reason people are discriminated against like this in the first place, and the sooner people realise this and throw away that archaic, bigoted, contradictory piece of drivel the better this world will be!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

If they want to have hamburger and call it ribeye, I guess I'm okay with that.

The problem exists with terms and definitions. If they can't call it marriage, can they still call it a wedding?

How about honeymoons?

Or divorces?

It just opens a can of worms, in my humble opinion.

Your logic is sound on this in my opinion... Yes why should the term of marriage be the only problem? However I do agree with the OP's main point. Why couldn't the law just establish that a domestic partnership= marriage in all it's terms and conditions? In respect to others who's faith doesn't agree with using the term "marriage", why wouldn't the gay community work for the conditions rather than the term?

Second, I am SICK of seeing everyone around here being so quick to jump on someone's case about having a certain viewpoint... I understand that "hate" exists, but most of the time the people on here are expressing their OPINION in a civil fashion... Stop being ignorant to that fact and have a damn discussion!!! I am a Christian, but when someone goes on here and "bashes" my faith, I don't get all pissy because of it.. I recognize that everybody has their own world view, and who am I to tell them they are stupid because of it. Seriously people grow up and have the ability to discuss a "touchy" subject like adults!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
gay marriage is silly, that's my opinion , don't hate me for it

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

mar·riage/ˈmarij/
Noun:

A relationship between married people or the period for which it lasts.

...I'm sorry, where in this definition are gay couples discounted as qualifying for the term "marriage"?

You have a lack of understanding as regards the semantics of marriage, it seems.
edit on CThursdayam191910f10America/Chicago09 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

I fully understand that religion plays no part in the legality of marriage in the USA.. Whether you accept it or not, the gay community would gain many supporters if they would just drop the term marriage and called it something else.

Really that is my main point. It would help their cause. If the gay community feels that the term "marriage" being switched with "domestic partners" or some other term is too much to concede then, oh well, they will never get my support on this issue and the many other people who feel the same will continue to vote against it.

Actually, it does. See, besides religion, there is no other argument. Religion is the ONLY argument.

I might be wrong, but I didn't know churches owned the term "marriage".

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
funny people saying marriage = man + woman and even leaving out part of the definition of marriage (notice paragraph 1 part 2.

definition of marriage from Webster's dictionary

Who cares that the poster couple for gay MARRIAGE is getting divorced, how is this any bigger of a surprise than any public figure getting divorced. I won't get in a soapbox but I will say that the heart can't help who the heart loves.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Second, I am SICK of seeing everyone around here being so quick to jump on someone's case about having a certain viewpoint... I understand that "hate" exists, but most of the time the people on here are expressing their OPINION in a civil fashion... Stop being ignorant to that fact and have a damn discussion!!! I am a Christian, but when someone goes on here and "bashes" my faith, I don't get all pissy because of it.. I recognize that everybody has their own world view, and who am I to tell them they are stupid because of it. Seriously people grow up and have the ability to discuss a "touchy" subject like adults!

If this was in relation to my anti-bible comment, it's just my opinion and I am just as welcome to believe it's worthless as you are to believe it to be a holy book. You can't complain about people's opinions and regard it as "bashing" you faith because it isn't, it is just a different viewpoint.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

link doesn't work, directs to a google search for 'gay'.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Theres at least one "research" article online that most gay marriages dissolve within the first year, and are not monogamous.

Yes, it is biases by homophobic views, but I am convinced it's conclusions aren't far off. You have to look at sexuality in our society and in the individual today, and what you see is extreme pride of lust, generally.

And testosterone levels tend to correlate with the drive to "sew ones oats" indiscriminately. So in the end, whether youre a gay or straight male (especially), after 6 months of the "Chemistry of Love" males are generally prone to stray.

Monogamy (whether gay or straight) isn't natural in human evolution however it is the hope of humanity's elusive future. The more monogamous humans, the less disease, less overpopulation, less physical and psycho stress on the next generations.

Can anyone find it?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I like your answer OP. Your right that the gay community should have never stole the term 'marriage' as it only means a union between man and a woman in a covenant. If gay people want to be together, call it something else, cause marriage is already taken.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

I like your answer OP. Your right that the gay community should have never stole the term 'marriage' as it only means a union between man and a woman in a covenant. If gay people want to be together, call it something else, cause marriage is already taken.

I'm sure a few hundred years ago this was the opinion of many people, just substituting the word 'gay' for 'black'. Your views will become equally as outdated in time.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
Yes, it is biases by homophobic views, but I am convinced it's conclusions aren't far off.

So you trust a biased study that reinforces your viewpoint, but if I post a study that refutes this study, I guarantee you'll claim bias.

edit on 9-2-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew

I really don't care what you do behind closed doors as long as you keep it there. But when you want to try to shove it in my face is when I say , no that's not OK.

Ummmm...why should gay people have to keep it behind closed doors? You dont mind straight people kissing in public, but not gays? Thats clear homophobia im afraid. My brother is gay and believe me, its not a choice. He has never been into girls. Ever. How is that a choice?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

Lets assume this is true (which it isn't). But how does this threaten you? How does it affect you life? Does it make your love for your wife and kids any less? Does it affect your friendships or business? No.

So, why, WHY go though life expelling all this energy, hating a whole group of people who are just human beings like you and who are not going to go away no matter how badly you want them to? Why waste ALL that energy and time hating people you don't even know?

Marriage is just a word. Its has no inherrent meaning or strength. Its how you treat and love your loved one that counts. The term is used in other ways in films and advertising and businesses worldwide everyday. Do you object to that too? No, of course not. Because like a lot of Christians, you pretend to be all about love, but you are just filled with needless hate. Shamefull
edit on 9-2-2012 by 3danimator because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2012 by 3danimator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It's funny to see how people get bent out of shape if someone expresses their "OPINION" and are labeled homophobic. I for one am NOT homophobic, I disagree with the whole homosexual movement. I do not have a "fear" of homosexuals, my view is that it's wrong, but I am no one to say they can or can not do something. Don't bash someone for expressing their honest opinion.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen
It's funny to see how people get bent out of shape if someone expresses their "OPINION" and are labeled homophobic. I for one am NOT homophobic, I disagree with the whole homosexual movement. I do not have a "fear" of homosexuals, my view is that it's wrong, but I am no one to say they can or can not do something. Don't bash someone for expressing their honest opinion.

Definition of 'Homophobic'

note the words 'aversion to'

Definition of 'Aversion'

Seems to me you are homophobic, no matter how to try and sugar coat it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic Lumen

Its not an opinion though. How can you be against the homosexual "movement"? Its not a movement, its natural life. You might as well say "im against the whole blond/brunette movement"

So, yes you are being homophobic and ignorant.

What if someone said "im against the whole black/jewish movement"? What would you say to them? Would you not label them as racist/antisemetic?

Your "opinion" is based on utter utter ignorance. You believe that being gay is a choice. You could not be more wrong. How would you explain people like my brother who has never been with a woman becuase he has never been attracted to them. Just like you and i have never been with a man. Why should we expect gay people to "try" the opposite sex if we dont want to.

And to call it a "movement" would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic. The cry of hateful, scared people.

So, please, piss off with your "i'm just stating my opinion" bollocks. You are not. You are being openly ignorant and homophobic and hiding behind the opinion defense.

If someone says that gays need to keep their show of affection behind closed doors...that means they find it disagreeable to see. Guess what thats makes them?

Gays don't affect you. A man spending his life with another man in NO way affects your life. Deal with it and stop pretending that its just an opinion.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerialVelocity
After reading pretty much every comment I was interested to see the amount of 'I aren't homophobic but...' comments.

I am assuming a lot of the comments are coming from the US and it doesn't surprise me, I am just glad that I live in England where gay people can now get married in churches and will soon be able to call their partnership a marriage.

For anyone who says that they don't agree with using the word 'marriage' even though you aren't religious, what's that about?? Religion is the reason people are discriminated against like this in the first place, and the sooner people realise this and throw away that archaic, bigoted, contradictory piece of drivel the better this world will be!

Well, that depends on whether the church or religious premises permits them to marry there. I don't think gay people should have the rights to be force a church to permit a marriage on its premises (I think that is pushing liberty for one group too far at the expense of others), but if they consent to it - so be it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by IanPaul
In respect to others who's faith doesn't agree with using the term "marriage", why wouldn't the gay community work for the conditions rather than the term?

It's to do with equality.

Agreeing to call it something different would be implying a lack of equality or a difference. I personally have no idea why persons want to give Religion a foot up on this. You can have wiccan weddings, you can have hindu weddings, you can even have an athiestic wedding ... but not a gay wedding? We already have terms for it, so why make more?

I don't understand any of it anyway. For example, I wouldn't want to marry a Chinese person perhaps, and I don't like banana yellow cars. If I see someone driving past in a banana yellow card holding hands with a Chinese person I'm not going to start posting fliers about it, start an organisation, or claim they're violating the color spectrum and we need to have a different word other than 'color' for the shade of vehicle driving past. Perhaps I call it ... domestic spectrum partnership or something.

It's the equivolent to agreeing to sit on the back of the bus. If Christians want their marriage to be unique and different from everyone elses ... come up with your own word? Find a Jewish or Arabic term or something otherwise you have to sit in the same aisle as anyone else that wants to prefix the word marriage with their faith/religion/undying devotion to the flying spaghetti monster.

Lets be honest though ... if it was called legal partnership and everyone kept it in the cupboard, the exact same people would have some other problem anyway so nothing would be solved.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join