"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Someone on page 1 said it best; Heterosexuals have been destroying the sanctity of marriage since it was invented. Kim Kardashian and her 19-day marriage/divorce are acceptable to you because she is female and the guy she chose to screw that week is male?

No, I NEVER said I was OK with Kim K, Wrong

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

You claim that you're not a homophobe and yet, the term "gay marriage" bothers you.

I'm sorry but you are fooling NO ONE with this schtick!

I really don't care what you want to assume or think about me for stating my opinions.

This is about respect, something all of you lack.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

I didn't say you did, you're missing my point.

Kim and her toy are a heterosexual couple, therefore had the "right" to get married. Would you have protested it?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

I wouldn't protest anybodies ceremony. I only disagree with calling a same sex couples ceremony a marriage. I am not against a gay couple being together or having the same rights under the law.

It is purely an issue of respect for the term marriage. I think it should be reserved for a man and a woman. I think a same sex couple should be called a domestic partnership. That's the only issue I have is in the terminology.

Based on the fact that marriage originally was a religious ceremony developed in the church. No one has any respect for anything anymore. I'm not even a religious person, but I can see how the gay community is disrespecting the religious community by demanding that their domestic partnership be called a marriage.

Like I said before I think all couples applying for a marriage license or domestic partnership, gay or straight should have a mandatory waiting period of 2 years "engagement" before they are given the license. So, to answer your question. No, I do not agree with what Kim K did. But I wouldn't go as far as protesting any gay or straight marriage ceremony.

If same sex couples can call their partnership a marriage then I think anyone should be able to call any kind of partnership a marriage. If I want to marry my vaccum cleaner then who is any body to say I can't? Either that or have some damn respect for 10,000 years of tradition.
edit on 9-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzTiger
Does the same rules apply to Gay couples as to 'straight' couples (when they marry) regarding unemployment payments. If one is working and the other not then the other cannot claim unemployment benefits.

Where do you get this BS from?

My sister is married and she works but her husband was recently laid off. Guess what? He still recieves that unemployment check too.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I have been reading this site for a couple of months now, and only today felt the need to register in order to respond to this post. "Be civilized while denying ignorance," isn't that what your "motto" is? There is a whole lot of ignorance here in this thread, by the OP, that needs to be denied, and in order to be civilized about doing it, I will preface the link I am about to post by saying I did not make this page, and I do not agree with the wording of the title of this page. I do not think calling people who are so narrow minded that they actually NEED the education which is on this page "Idiots" is beneficial and likely causes many to close the page window before seeing the information that they need to understand. And OP, you need to understand this, so please look past the initial insult of being called an "idiot" by the page author, and read all the way down. It should help you understand why gay marriage is NOTHING like being able to marry your dog, your toaster, or anything other than another human adult being.

www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
As far as I can recall, "God" hasn't descended to Earth in...ever. "He" supposedly sent his son one time but that was 2,000+ years ago. My point is, all we have as proof of "God's" laws are some books which happen to be written by humans with agendas to establish religions as a means of authority over their communities. I don't think any god is interested in anything other than love.

People love to use the term marriage as defined in the Bible...what if you're not Christian? Are Christians the only ones entitled to get married?

People also like to absolve themselves of bigotry by stating, "I don't care what goes on behind closed doors, you don't have to be in anyone's face about it". Okay, soooo straight couples can hold hands, kiss, be openly married in public but not anyone else? If PDA isn't okay for gay couples than it shouldn't be for straight couples either. And, the fact of the matter is that they wouldn't have to have parades or be so in your face if they weren't denied the same rights as you and I have, all along. Funny things happen when you try to dictate to people in a supposedly free nation.

Such silliness.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The origin of the word “Marriage”

This is from the 14th century Anglo-French word “Marier” to marry!

Nothing like getting your knickers in a knot about a centuries old word that has nothing to do with anything!

I couldn’t care what you feel is disrespectful to YOU! You disrespect others and then expect nothing except respect in return, you must be a politician! Or a banker!
edit on 9/2/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

You see, I was right, you show nothing but disrespect and proof of your homophobia, you selfish little straight bitch!

Better blow your whistle and call your friends now

If you want to marry your gay lover then I will continue to fight for my right to marry a sock puppet

Who the hell are you to say I can't?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
reply to post by wiser3

You see, I was right, you show nothing but disrespect and proof of your homophobia, you selfish little straight bitch!

Better blow your whistle and call your friends now

If you want to marry your gay lover then I will continue to fight for my right to marry a sock puppet

Who the hell are you to say I can't?

Perhaps you would give me the respect to QUOTE where I said you can't marry your dog or your hamster or your sister! I couldn't give a rats arse who or what you choose to marry! Have fun with your sock puppet, I hope you know how to use a darning needle and thread, you might need on your wedding night!
edit on 9/2/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

I couldn't give a rats arse who or what you choose to marry!

That's fine then. At least you don't support the whole hypocrisy that the rest of your fellow gay marriage supporters seem to follow.

Guy marries guy

Guy marries dog

no difference

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Guy marries sock puppet = he had no-one else to ask!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

LOL if anything this is a good thing for gays..... THEY ARE JUST LIKE STRAIGHTS.

lol its weird picturing my little brother marry a man but really its 2012

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

LOL
I knew this argument was coming. It's so ignorant it's laughable.
Actually I uploaded this cartoon to have it at the ready for when people use this foolish argument.

Come on, marriage is nothing. It's been a form of manipulation and in recent history a tax so you can get a "break" every citizen should automatically get.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Jeez, this again? sigh.

To the OP:

A religious ceremony in the United States has no legal grounding, whether it is called "marriage" or anything else. In the US, marriage is a secular legal contract between consenting participants that provides certain legal and tax related properties or benefits.

If you can find a religious institution to perform the ceremony, you can 'marry' your dog or your car or your sock puppet and have a good time.

These "marriages" will have no legal standing, because none of a dog or a car or a sock puppet have the ability to enter into a legal contract. We cannot communicate well enough with dogs to be able to know for sure they are entering the contract willingly, and dogs have no legal contract status anyway. Same with inantimate objects such as cars or sock puppets. But you are certainly free to marry one of them if it so pleases you.

The idea that "marriage" is purely a religious artifact is balderdash. I am married and am an Atheist, and am married to one. But because we happen to be of opposite genders, we can go anywhere in the US and we are still married, with all the legal benefits therein. And religion had and has precisely ZERO to do with our marriage.

To the apparent point of your opening post, given that this couple has been in the US public eye for some time is reason enough right there to have sufficient strain on the relationship as to possibly end it. Hell, for all anybody here knows, they are "divorcing" just so people will leave them alone.

So basically your desire to reserve the word "marriage" for only 1 man and 1 woman relationships is rooted in religion and is therefore invalid in the US. At least so far... the religios are certainly doing their best to turn the US into a theocracy.

ETA: I do agree with the OP on one thing... I do not agree with the term "gay marriage". It should be "marriage", period, without regard to the relative plumbing of the participants.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Open_Minded Skeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Guy marries guy
Guy marries dog
no difference

Guy marries guy -- Both are human and if they are both adults, they can make that choice.

Guy marries dog -- Guy can make that choice. The dog is not a human being with the same rights, therefore the dog has no choice. Big difference.

Just because you keep saying it over and over doesn't make it a relevant comparison.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
considering the divorce rate i think the sanctity of marriage or even the meaning of the word can go straight out the window lol!

they can use the word all they want

and LMAO semantics! you humans and your never ending idiosyncrasies.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join