It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I think it's hilarious! All that work, to realize what you earned wasn't that cracked up after all.

I love how awful and nasty pro-gay rights people are as well. Most of us opposed to gay marriage do it with tact and respect. Most pro gay marriage people attack us, insult us, label us, and sterotype us. Love how it works like that.

Listen - Marriage is not a Right. Contrary to what you people think, the Constitution does not specifically grant us the right to marriage. It does not grant it to straight people, gay people, dogs, animals, birds, bee's, or anything else.
The State grants the ability to be wed. Really, the state just issues a freaking license to "prove" you are married.
I agree with the OP here - gay couples want tax benefits? Cool bro. Take em.

I am opposed to gay couples calling their union "Marriage". It's not. There was a time in the country where oh gee - you could have a ceremony and the priest would wed the couple. No state, no licenses - nothing.
This is it how it should be for straight people, gay people and everyone else.

I think the better solution here is to remove the State from our society - not integrate it with more laws telling us how to live our lives. That's all I'm saying.

Our Government is to enforce the Rights of the people and just Laws. Not rule our society.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

Mathias, do you recognize that the problem started when the government decided it had the right to tell people who can marry and who can't marry? I get very upset when I see people advocating for "gay marriage" because you're right, it isn't gay marriage. Its gays pandering and begging like lowly slaves to their uncaring masters. The fact of the matter is marriage is not an issue for states to get involved with because its not a government matter. Its a private matter that is none of their business.

These "gay rights" advocates are really just slavery advocates and I don't support them for even a second. Advocating for the state to decide who is married and who isn't is in fact uncivilized and a big regressive step backwards. I vote NO to any additional marriage permission slips of any kind because that is pandering I cannot support. My advice to gays is stop pandering to the state and telling them they have control over your personal lives.

Gays, your advocacy should be focused on the elimination of state marriage of heterosexual couples! I'll glady join you when you're protesting that. George Washington didn't seek permission to get married except he asked his pastor at his church to perform the wedding, and he did. And now we need licenses to get married, and that makes us free? No, the attacks on freedom were fast and fervent from the start. Thats why we have almost no freedom left today. Sure we have the right to complain about our horrific lack of rights, but even that right is eroding away.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ok, I did not read this entire thread nor do I need to. I'll sum this up quickly:

1) Gay couples hijacking the term "marriage" is disrespectful to religions? Are you serious? Religions have (mentally and physically) murdered, raped, dismembered, and outright poisoned uncountable numbers of individuals throughout the course of human history and now they demand we are "respectful"? Disgusting. Who cares what people want to call their union between one another? It's a WORD. The equality is all that should matter to you.

2) Dear all who think same-sex marriages will lead to people marrying animals/plants/inanimate objects: You're idiots. Two adult, consciously aware human beings have the right to make that decision. An animal/plant/inanimate object do not fall into this category. They (as far as we know) cannot make these types of decisions. Stop ingesting the brainless rhetoric spewed out from the god-fearing, right-wing propaganda machine. This is like saying jumping into swimming pools will lead to dangerous acts like skydiving and base jumping. Idiocy at the highest caliber.

The way I see it, if you disagree with either of the two points I just made you most likely still have this underlying irrational, homophobic/xenophobic fear that you are not ready to address. My advice? cleanse yourself of the disease that is religion, embrace an empathic perspective of the world and GROW UP.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

The marriage ran its course, she said. Tyler and Olson have known each other for 40 years and were together as a couple for 18. They were the poster couple for gay and lesbian rights.

Hahahaha. The marriage contract is such an antiquity that doesn't belong in our modern society. Fine, get "married" in a church, profess your love to the other person, but sign a binding contract? - that forms 2 people into a corporation? - so you can later split assets and have that financial strain on your relationship?

The were a happy couple for 18 years, got married and it ended 3 years later. Says a lot.

That being said, I don't understand the "Gotcha" or "I told you so" attitude that people are having in response to this. Marriage is bound to fail more than half of the time whether you're 2 men or a "normal" couple.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by seachange

Mathias, do you recognize that the problem started when the government decided it had the right to tell people who can marry and who can't marry? I get very upset when I see people advocating for "gay marriage" because you're right, it isn't gay marriage. Its gays pandering and begging like lowly slaves to their uncaring masters. The fact of the matter is marriage is not an issue for states to get involved with because its not a government matter. Its a private matter that is none of their business.

These "gay rights" advocates are really just slavery advocates and I don't support them for even a second. Advocating for the state to decide who is married and who isn't is in fact uncivilized and a big regressive step backwards. I vote NO to any additional marriage permission slips of any kind because that is pandering I cannot support. My advice to gays is stop pandering to the state and telling them they have control over your personal lives.

Gays, your advocacy should be focused on the elimination of state marriage of heterosexual couples! I'll glady join you when you're protesting that. George Washington didn't seek permission to get married except he asked his pastor at his church to perform the wedding, and he did. And now we need licenses to get married, and that makes us free? No, the attacks on freedom were fast and fervent from the start. Thats why we have almost no freedom left today. Sure we have the right to complain about our horrific lack of rights, but even that right is eroding away.

Exactly! Thank you for saying what I said above your post. This is the thinking we need to implement! Great post.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx

The marriage ran its course, she said. Tyler and Olson have known each other for 40 years and were together as a couple for 18. They were the poster couple for gay and lesbian rights.

Hahahaha. The marriage contract is such an antiquity that doesn't belong in our modern society. Fine, get "married" in a church, profess your love to the other person, but sign a binding contract? - that forms 2 people into a corporation? - so you can later split assets and have that financial strain on your relationship?

The were a happy couple for 18 years, got married and it ended 3 years later. Says a lot.

That being said, I don't understand the "Gotcha" or "I told you so" attitude that people are having in response to this. Marriage is bound to fail more than half of the time whether you're 2 men or a "normal" couple.

Just wanted to say - Love your avatar dude! You just made my entire day.

second.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm really not sure what kind of reaction you're looking for. but they got divorced. It happens. truth is, divorces aren't limited to 'gay' couples. humanity in itself has a lot of issues and people have fallouts all the time. you can't judge anybody because of their preferences.

personally, I think it's silly all of this crap is still an issue for people. but that's how society is I guess? they care so much about preserving outdated moral, and about what other people want to do with their lives that they have to stop them from being able to do it, or take offense to all of it. so someone has to suffer. also, the term 'marriage' doesn't belong to any particular group. you can't 'steal' it. humans are humans. they have a right to the same things. you'd think people could be mature enough to understand and respect that.

I'm actually amused gay rights are still a problem. but welcome to the world right? as if we even know what we're doing half the time? it seems people are more concerned about preserving old principles than actually caring about one another and having society evolve. do you know how many mistakes we've made in the past? too many. the judgement we put upon others and the rules we create aren't always appropriate.

and just throwing this out there, but marriages seems overrated to me. all this fuss over two men or two woman having a little ceremony that is supposed to symbolize their love to try and prove they have a relationship? and it's this much of an issue? its purpose has no existence outside of our minds, other than having a few benefits. it doesn't make your relationship better, and it doesn't symbolize your love is better than non-married couples. but yet you have all these gays begging for something so miniscule and being denied. it's pretty ridiculous. just give it to them. there shouldnt be a problem with this Lololololol..

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

I wouldn't protest anybodies ceremony. I only disagree with calling a same sex couples ceremony a marriage. I am not against a gay couple being together or having the same rights under the law.

It is purely an issue of respect for the term marriage. I think it should be reserved for a man and a woman. I think a same sex couple should be called a domestic partnership. That's the only issue I have is in the terminology.

Based on the fact that marriage originally was a religious ceremony developed in the church. No one has any respect for anything anymore. I'm not even a religious person, but I can see how the gay community is disrespecting the religious community by demanding that their domestic partnership be called a marriage.

Like I said before I think all couples applying for a marriage license or domestic partnership, gay or straight should have a mandatory waiting period of 2 years "engagement" before they are given the license. So, to answer your question. No, I do not agree with what Kim K did. But I wouldn't go as far as protesting any gay or straight marriage ceremony.

If same sex couples can call their partnership a marriage then I think anyone should be able to call any kind of partnership a marriage. If I want to marry my vaccum cleaner then who is any body to say I can't? Either that or have some damn respect for 10,000 years of tradition.
edit on 9-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: (no reason given)

So then all words should only be used as their original meanings?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Funshinez

I would say Yes to your question. How are we supposed to know what is what when we change the meaning of words? It is the meaning of words that give them purpose and definition. How are we, as Humans, supposed to effectively communicate our ideas, thoughts, laws, and opinions when we keep redefining the language we use?

This very subject is close to my heart. Without getting into to much detail - if you know your US History and a bit of political science, you'd know that Democrats today are nothing like the original Jacksonian democrats. This holds true for Republicans as well. Yet, despite having almost completely different goals and platforms, the terms remain the same. This leads to quite a bit of confusion, and people become mislead thinking they support traditional Democratic ideas when infact their party supports completely non-democratic ideals.

Words have meaning, and they need to stay that way. We can always make up new words to describe new or changing ideas.

edit on 10-2-2012 by zeeon because: typo

edit on 10-2-2012 by zeeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

If you are "pro gay rights" the term marriage shouldn't bother you..

And straight couples have been destroying the sanctity of marriage long before any gay couple has had a chance to.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

I totally agree. There's this spoken word by a guy named "Buddy Wakefield" who makes the same point. Something along the lines of

"They complain about the gays f-ing up the sanctity of marriage, meanwhile we have wifeswap..." and it goes on.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Turns out I had it backwards. Gender identity is formed around the age of three and sexual identity forms at 10 at the latest.

Yes - - and now there are camps for these kids - - to be free to be who they are.

. . . . a weeklong, overnight summer camp for transgender and gender-variant youth ages 8 through 15. It's a place where life experiences are shared and lifelong friendships are made."

Ignorance is one thing - - slamming the door shut - - and condemning something because you don't agree - - like - - or understand it - - - rather then learning and educating oneself is inexcusable.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Just think how much better the world would be if people spent as much time worrying about themselves as they do sticking there noses into other peoples lives.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The problem with your theory is that dogs can't consent to marriage because they do not speak english, or any other verbal or written human language. If your dog could, and had the mental intellect to contemplate such a decision.. Well you should probably upgrade your security system in that case, your future wife would be very valuable to science.

But do you not see how offensive it is to compare a gay man to a dog? I think we all know your argument isn't sticking. It isn't about whether you agree with two men having a relationship or having sex. It's about if you can agree that it is none of your business.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I have had at least 10 posts removed in this thread alone by the MODS. Total BS, at the most 2 of them were justified.

I'm post banning myself.

F @# YOU ATS

I have been a contributing member of this site for over a year.

I'm sick of the MODS playing favorites, deleting posts and leaving others that are far more offensive and off topic.

I refuse to comment on this website anymore until the MODS take their heads out of their a@@
edit on 10-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Sorry I have no idea what made it go so small like that.

If gays want equality, they should not launch a war of conquest on straight society. If gays want to be respected, they should not appropriate words and traditions that have been a part of straight society for millenia. If gays truly respected themselves, they would not want or need our words and traditions.

For over a millenia the church, who created the traditions of marriage, has been holding society, not just the straight but all of society, back from moving forward. The church long ago passed dogmatic views that have corrupted society and held back the growth of society as a whole.

Homosexuals are not "launching a war of conquest on straight society" they are wanting the same rights and freedom as Heterosexuals because they are HUMAN just like Heterosexuals. Saying that they don't deserve the same rights and freedoms that a heterosexual is like saying an African American doesn't deserve the same rights and freedoms as Caucasians.

Gays are not capable of having the same relationships as straight people - gays have different kinds of relationships, based on a union of similarity not a union of difference.

Really? What is so different about a relationship between a homosexual and a heterosexual? Other then how they have sex, NOTHING! They want to be loved, they want to give love, they want to be happy, they worry about their partner cheating on them just like a heterosexual person does. Sure there are small differences but that is in every single relationship not just a homosexual relationship.

Gays are also incapable of childbearing for biological reasons, and they are incapable of child raising that meets the developmental needs of children.

Gays are not incapable of childbearing. Ever heard of Surrogate Mothers who carry the egg/sperm of one of the couples or Sperm donors.
I would like to know why same sex couples are incapable of child raising that meets the developmental needs of children? They are just as capable or incapable as any heterosexual couple. There are millions of heterosexual couples who are incapable of meeting the developmental needs of children.

The only possible conclusion of why they wish to take straight culture for themselves by force is that they are trying to assert their identity

WOW! Seriously? All homosexuals want is the same rights and freedoms that heterosexuals have. We are HUMANS TOO so we deserve to be treated like HUMANS too! Do you feel that way about everyone who is different then you? African Americans did the same thing, raising awareness and protesting the right to be treated like everyone else because they are just like everyone else. Skin color, sexual preferences, why does it matter, at the end of the day it's a human being who is treated unjustly demanding to be treated as an equal.

But they do not need to be the 'same'.. it only drags everyone down including themselves, and I think if they did some soul searching, they'd see that too. They should be proud of their difference! Call off the battles for these words and traditions.

I've done some soul searching and I've discovered I'm as HUMAN, if not more humane, then you are and deserve all the same rights to freedom, marriage and whatever else every single HUMAN being should be able to have. It should not matter what sexual preference we have, ALL HUMANS SHOULD HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS!!

edit on 10-2-2012 by knoledgeispower because: quoted wrong person

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I have had at least 10 posts removed in this thread alone by the MODS. Total BS, at the most 2 of them were justified.

I'm post banning myself.

F @# YOU ATS

I have been a contributing member of this site for over a year.

I'm sick of the MODS playing favorites, deleting posts and leaving others that are far more offensive and off topic.

I refuse to comment on this website anymore until the MODS take their heads out of their a@@

WOW! That certainly was a strong reaction...and trying to allow people to see where all this anger is coming from as it applies to this topic and MODS getting involved is something that is up my alley! LOL!

The topic was stated as gay Marriage not being what it was supposedly all cracked up to be. Now just that statement by some basic logical examination...says alot. It says that someone is either trying to show GAY's that after all this time and fighting to get to be able to become legally WED....that it was all for not because it...being married....but only if you are GAY and are married....YOU HAVE WASTED YOUR TIME BECAUSE SO AND SO SAY'S SO!

So by the same logic...this should apply to a Man and Woman who get Married or it could also apply to any group who strive for equal rights that because something may not work out for some...then the WHOLE PROCESS IS A BUST! LOL! I can't believe the HUGE EGO ALPHA MALE...has to be the one to say what I just did because the other side of this arguement is SO STUPID that even a Beer Drinking, Womanizing, Truck driving, Multiple Legal Weapons owning...Hunter, Survivalist....actually OWNS A GUN RACK FOR HIS TRUCK...or one of them anyways....hater of any song EVER WRITTEN OR PLAYED BY R.E.M......FOOTBALL LOVING MALE who refuses to drink a beer out of a glass....has to be the one to call out these obvious OVER COMPENSATING FOR SOMETHING.....LOL!....PEOPLE!

I guess it was inevitable! Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

reply to post by knoledgeispower

A bit of a stretch, it's completely nonsensical to compare marrying a dog to marrying another human being. Why would the gay community defend the right for people to have sex with animals? That's just as absurd. It is not right for a human to have sex with a animal but there is nothing wrong with a human wanting to have sex with another human so long as it's not their own family. Bestiality is completely different then homosexuality. I'm not offended if someone wants to marry another human being that is not their own family. I think that as long as you are a human who loves another human, so long as they are not family, there should be nothing wrong with their union. Why do people get married? Because they love another human and want to spend the rest of their lives devoting themselves to the other person. It's about LOVE!!!!! So again I say, as long as you are not wanting to marry your own family, then there is nothing wrong with a HUMAN wanting to marry another HUMAN!

Well if you say you want the right to marry a person of the same gender, then I say I want to marry my dog. I love my dog and my dog loves me. I DO NOT want to have sex with my dog, but I want my relationship to be recognized as a legal marriage.

Why should you have the right to marry whomever you like but I can't? Again, you're all a bunch of hypocrites

A dog is not a human! A homosexual is a Human so if one Human wants to marry another Human, that is not a family member, then they should be allowed to. If they are brave enough and want to have multiple spouses then by all means go ahead. I don't think there should be limitations on HUMANS wanting to be with another HUMAN.
I'm not being a hypocrite you are just being completely absurd and can't run on anything else but saying that a homosexual wanting to marry another homosexual is the same as a human wanting to marry an animal or an inanimate object.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Miraj

I guarantee you that transgendered individuals are way more common amongst people with two heterosexual parents.

That might be true. But you don't see hetero parents giving their 11yr old child hormone blockers and letting their boy run around in a dress.

Yes Heterosexual parents give their transgendered kids hormone blockers and even the full process! Wow you really do need to educate yourself on the subjects of homosexual and transgendered people. You seem to be missing a LOT of information. Biggest example is Chaz Bono, Cher's transgendered child, born a girl but went through the whole process to become a man.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Why did you respond to me but quoted someone else?

Trying to pretend that I made those comments?

If gays want equality, they should not launch a war of conquest on straight society. If gays want to be respected, they should not appropriate words and traditions that have been a part of straight society for millenia. If gays truly respected themselves, they would not want or need our words and traditions.

Gays are not capable of having the same relationships as straight people - gays have different kinds of relationships, based on a union of similarity not a union of difference.

Gays are also incapable of childbearing for biological reasons, and they are incapable of child raising that meets the developmental needs of children.

The only possible conclusion of why they wish to take straight culture for themselves by force is that they are trying to assert their identity

But they do not need to be the 'same'.. it only drags everyone down including themselves, and I think if they did some soul searching, they'd see that too. They should be proud of their difference! Call off the battles for these words and traditions.

None of the quotes you used in your post were from me.

Typical dirty manipulative tactics from someone who is ignorant and losing the debate

You're really asking for it.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

You really need to educate yourself

Chaz Bono was NOT a child when she decided to have a sex change

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join