It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
What I find most concerning and repulsive is that when I state that GAYS SHOULD BE GIVEN THE SAME RIGHTS as other couples. But just don't call it marriage, call it domestic partners or civil unions.

All the creeps put down their poppers and come crawling out of their dungeons wearing their gimp suits and start acting like I just declared open hunting season on the entire gay community and culture.

Just because I defend my right to live a life without the fear of having my head bashed in because I am gay does not mean:
1. I am a creep
2. I do poppers
3. I live in a dungeon
4. I wear a gimp suit (Whatever that is)

All it means is that I want the rights, the same rights that you have and have had all your life without having to fight for them!

Guess what, the gays wouldn't be marching, wouldn't be making their voices heard, wouldn't be militant if they just had the same rights as everyone else. We are not asking for anything special we are asking for the right to live!
But if the gays hadn't started demanding, YES DEMANDING, their rights we would still be where we were 2000 years ago!
I am not a militant marching homosexual, I would rather spend my time and energy trying to save the Rhino from extinction but when I have people making statements about things they know nothing about I feel I must at least try and make my point heard!
You still don't know what it is to be gay which gives you no right to judge me!
You can be sure that straight people will and do march for their rights whenever they feel that they have been "wronged", why can't gays?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

But if it is a legal term, is should be the same across the board for all.

I agree and I believe that word already exists. It's called a civil union or domestic partnership.

Take your pick.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

True but why should I make le change. i know it's nit picking but the religious types have pushed this rather moderate guy to the point where I'll take nothing less.

Fire away with the jokes about exactly what it is that I take and where

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Thanks!

I could never, if I can't laugh at myself then I can't laugh at others and laughter is therapeutic, contagious and addictive!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
No form of marriage is all its cracked up to be.

Unless people start accepting it 'cracks up' to be little more than a happiness-stifling institution of brooding, then marriage will always disappoint.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Are gay people not allowed to get divorced now? I don't get it. 50% of marriages fail in the USA..what is the point of this thread?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

reply to post by Garfee

You think you have it tough?

Try marrying your dog and introducing your new bride to the family.....they really bitched me out for that one

Like this guy?

November 2010 – A young Toowoomba, Queensland man tied the knot with his best friend – a five-year-old labrador

That's the last on the list of a few people who have married man's best friend.

More extreme forms of 'marriage' include this woman who married the Berlin Wall: Woman Married to Berlin Wall for 29 Years.

I think using the terminology for gay couples getting married is quite alright.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

OP do you not see the contradiction in your point of view?

You believe that Homosexuals should have same benefits as the rest of society.

Yet you want the term "Marriage" to be your exclusive domain.

It amazes me that people can somehow reconcile this paradox in their mind, when it is clearly a hammer to the thumb of logic.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Turns out I had it backwards. Gender identity is formed around the age of three and sexual identity forms at 10 at the latest. I can't find an exact link to the article I'm looking for in regards to gender identity. It's P.H. Mussen's 1969 article in Handbook of socialization theory and research titled "Early sex-role development." This established that by the age of three a child is aware of the differences between genders and is able to identify themselves as one or the other. After this point it becomes extremely difficult for gender identity to change. This article has been cited numerous times and has never been refuted. I was able to find another article that says pretty much the same thing though.

Gender Labels and Early Sex Role Development

The emergence of sexual attraction around the age of 10 was established in 1996 by M.K. McClintock and G. Herdt with this article.

Rethinking Puberty: The Development of Sexual Attraction

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

"I don't know how to describe it - I wanted this all my life," Olson told the Jewish Journal that day. "Every time I went to a girlfriend's wedding, and when my brother got married, it was something I always wanted for myself. It looks like God must have wanted it for me, too."

Lol. I don't know what god she is referring to because it sure isn't mine. My God Yahweh destroyed a few cities for homosexualty and wickedness and left their ruins as a testement to his judgement for all time.

Her god must be Lucifer because he's the only one that could condone that.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

One of the first 14 same sex couples to ever get married is now divorcing.

Gay "poster couple" divorcing

When gay couples first sought the right to legally wed in California, they argued that they were entitled to all of the benefits of marital bliss.

It was only a matter of time before that benefit extended to the right to split up.
Even as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found California's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional Tuesday, one of the state's first gay couples to tie the knot was calling it quits.
Robin Tyler filed for divorce from Diane Olson on January 25. The pair were among 14 same-sex couples who originally challenged the ban in 2008.

In an exclusive interview with NBC4, Tyler spoke about her decision.
"We're human and we went through difficult times," Tyler said. The marriage ran its course, she said. Tyler and Olson have known each other for 40 years and were together as a couple for 18. They were the poster couple for gay and lesbian rights.

When they wed, in June of 2008, they had gone to the Beverly Hills Courthouse every year for seven years to apply for -- and be denied- a marriage license.
The ceremony on the steps of the same courthouse was a monumental moment for gay couples everywhere.

"I don't know how to describe it - I wanted this all my life," Olson told the Jewish Journal that day. "Every time I went to a girlfriend's wedding, and when my brother got married, it was something I always wanted for myself. It looks like God must have wanted it for me, too."

Apparently what "God" wanted no longer matters.

I am not homophobic or anti-gay rights. I believe gays should have the same rights as any other human. I am however opposed to the term "gay marriage". I do not have a problem with same sex couples having the same rights as married couples. I just wish that they didn't call it "marriage".

Marriage is a term that should be reserved for a man and a woman. If gays want to call it domestic partners or any other name and it gives them the same rights as married couples I'm OK with that. I just disagree with them stealing the term marriage.

I know this may not be politically correct but it's how I feel. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I don't care. Some things need to be said even if they are not politically correct.

Why does your OP link to gay.com? Is that really necessary?

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
ATTENTION!!!!
Final Warning.....

Here's the topic:

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

Discuss it, and not coffee, other members or apparel.
We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

You are responsible for your own posts.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join