It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Gay Marriage" apparently not all it was cracked up to be

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
One of the first 14 same sex couples to ever get married is now divorcing.

Gay "poster couple" divorcing

When gay couples first sought the right to legally wed in California, they argued that they were entitled to all of the benefits of marital bliss.

It was only a matter of time before that benefit extended to the right to split up.
Even as the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found California's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional Tuesday, one of the state's first gay couples to tie the knot was calling it quits.
Robin Tyler filed for divorce from Diane Olson on January 25. The pair were among 14 same-sex couples who originally challenged the ban in 2008.

In an exclusive interview with NBC4, Tyler spoke about her decision.
"We're human and we went through difficult times," Tyler said. The marriage ran its course, she said. Tyler and Olson have known each other for 40 years and were together as a couple for 18. They were the poster couple for gay and lesbian rights.

When they wed, in June of 2008, they had gone to the Beverly Hills Courthouse every year for seven years to apply for -- and be denied- a marriage license.
The ceremony on the steps of the same courthouse was a monumental moment for gay couples everywhere.

"I don't know how to describe it - I wanted this all my life," Olson told the Jewish Journal that day. "Every time I went to a girlfriend's wedding, and when my brother got married, it was something I always wanted for myself. It looks like God must have wanted it for me, too."

Apparently what "God" wanted no longer matters.

I am not homophobic or anti-gay rights. I believe gays should have the same rights as any other human. I am however opposed to the term "gay marriage". I do not have a problem with same sex couples having the same rights as married couples. I just wish that they didn't call it "marriage".

Marriage is a term that should be reserved for a man and a woman. If gays want to call it domestic partners or any other name and it gives them the same rights as married couples I'm OK with that. I just disagree with them stealing the term marriage.

I know this may not be politically correct but it's how I feel. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I don't care. Some things need to be said even if they are not politically correct.

+77 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

If you are "pro gay rights" the term marriage shouldn't bother you..

And straight couples have been destroying the sanctity of marriage long before any gay couple has had a chance to.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

You start a thread with bashing gay marriage but than go into the fetal position. Come on dude, have some NUTS. Anyway, I would ass/u/me that Gay Marriage has either close to or the same "divorce" rate. I could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

...straight couples have been destroying the sanctity of marriage long before any gay couple has had a chance to.

Has anyone really thought about what exactly marriage benefits in the context of our modern society?

People have tried to explain it to me, but I still really don't get it.

Anyways, there is no logical reason gay marriage was banned. The US is full of contradictions. Just because something is tradition certainly doesn't mean it makes sense.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmaox

...straight couples have been destroying the sanctity of marriage long before any gay couple has had a chance to.

Has anyone really thought about what exactly marriage benefits in the context of our modern society?

People have tried to explain it to me, but I still really don't get it.

Anyways, there is no logical reason gay marriage was banned. The US is full of contradictions. Just because something is tradition certainly doesn't mean it makes sense.

Other than tax purposes? Not sure either. I've always felt that if you're truly in love with someone all those promises go without saying.

Plus I've heard a lot of couples' sex lives all but disappear a few years after the nuptials, so it'll definitely take me some time to make a decision like that

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

LOL. Tis true. Its better to have a best friend when the times are rough than a good sex partner. Juss sayen.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
How many straight marriages fail? How many religious people of marriages fail? Your going to gather statistics on gays in marriage? Wow brilliant work. . I guess gay people dont know how to stay married because your statistics on 14 gay people is accurate!
edit on 9-2-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
The issues usually arise when one of the gay partners is either sick or dying and also if they have children. Before gay marriage was legal only spouses or family could make decisions regarding certain legal matters.

A gay partner could be denied visitation in the hospital or be denied the right to take over parental rights of a dying partners children. If no Will exists assets would go to immediate family members and not the gay partner.

I am not "pro gay rights" nor am I "anti gay rights".

I really don't care what you do behind closed doors as long as you keep it there. But when you want to try to shove it in my face is when I say , no that's not OK.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

You were going good until that last part about "shoving it in your face". The MEDIA reported on this story for a purpose and you jumped on it. I dont think you directly spoke to the actual parties.
Edited for scrolling up to make sure you started this thread

So, your argument is about the RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE for tax purposes and legal rights. Who made up the Tax Code and the Legal Rights?? The Bible or the Country you live in.....
edit on 9-2-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
I really don't care what you do behind closed doors as long as you keep it there. But when you want to try to shove it in my face is when I say , no that's not OK.

No one is shoving anything in your face you just find gay marriage a threat

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Edited double post jinx

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

So, your argument is about the RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE for tax purposes and legal rights. Who made up the Tax Code and the Legal Rights?? The Bible or the Country you live in

Huh????

Only issue i have is with the terminology. The title, the label.

Marriage = man + woman

I'm not a religious person. However I do think that religion deserves some respect in certain aspects of society.
Marriage was developed through the church and was a religious ceremony.

If gays get married, then can I marry my dog? Can I marry my blow up doll? Can I marry my computer?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If I marry my dog. Well then I should have the same rights as any other married couple right?

If not, why?

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
you sound like an anti-gay robot programmed to say nothing but cliches..

maybe you are?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

same sex couples = domestic partnership = same rights as married couples

Just don't call it marriage = nothing anti gay about it

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
The issues usually arise when one of the gay partners is either sick or dying and also if they have children. Before gay marriage was legal only spouses or family could make decisions regarding certain legal matters.

A gay partner could be denied visitation in the hospital or be denied the right to take over parental rights of a dying partners children. If no Will exists assets would go to immediate family members and not the gay partner.

I am not "pro gay rights" nor am I "anti gay rights".

Does the same rules apply to Gay couples as to 'straight' couples (when they marry) regarding unemployment payments. If one is working and the other not then the other cannot claim unemployment benefits. I have many Gay friends who live together where one works and the other does the 'wifely' duties (and I am not being flippant) at home but collects the unemployment benefits. Would these stop if they legally marry?
Still much to be sorted here I feel but if two people (of the same sex) love each other and wish to cement their relationship by marrying then surely, in this day and age, there should be an option for them.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Dear MathiasAndrew,

Okay, they were more concerned about the politics behind gay marriage then each other. People marry for the wrong reasons all the time, government divorce is the price tag. As far as I am concerned, government marriage is nothing more or less than allowing the government to tell you what you will do when you divorce in order for the government to avoid having to take care of us if one of us doesn't take care of themselves. Why gays want to have government marriages is beyond me, if you are gay, why would you want the government to be allowed to control who pays for who if you divorce, they are not having kids. I forgot, that is why they allow them to adopt, to trick them into allowing the government to determine what happens if they divorce. Gay marriage, government marriage is about the government control over our personal lives.

In the United States there is only no fault divorce, that means you can cheat on your spouse and get them to pay to take care of you for the rest of your life rather than be responsible for yourself or have government assistance. Marriage, the contract, is the one contract that you can violate and still have the government reward you for violating rather than enforcing. Take your time and think about that. Peace.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I just find it funny that a gay couple who has known each other for 40 years. Been a couple for 18 years and were the "poster couple" for gay marriage. They didn't even last more than 4 years as a married couple.

I understand that there are certain legal issues that are important when it comes to couples who are "married" or in a "domestic partnership".

To me it feels like the gay community is showing a lack of respect for the rest of society, the straight community and the religious community by demanding that their "domestic partner" relationship be called marriage. It seems hypocritical to me for them to want respect by disrespecting the title of marriage

By the way, it's not just gays who are disrespecting the title of marriage. Everyone of those people in the above videos I posted are also disrepecting the title of marriage. I disagree with all of those examples just as much. Probably more. All I ask is that the gays leave the term "marriage" alone.

Marriage = man + woman

EDIT
You know that if a man and a woman have been a couple living together for more than 8 years in the USA they are legally considered a domestic partnership and all the same laws apply to them (if they split up) as if they were married.

However I don't believe this law applies to same sex couples. How is that fair?
edit on 9-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

If they want to have hamburger and call it ribeye, I guess I'm okay with that.

The problem exists with terms and definitions. If they can't call it marriage, can they still call it a wedding?

How about honeymoons?

Or divorces?

It just opens a can of worms, in my humble opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join