It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A MUST Read, "Written By A Female Cop"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

really good info. i just think it is sad that people have to be on alert for this kind of stuff in todays society.
you can also carry pepper spray,or one of those telescopic batons,just incase!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew

2.. Learned this from a tourist guide: If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM; toss it away from you.....Chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

Doing this is probably going to get you shot or stabbed a lot quicker than if you just hand over your wallet or purse.

If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, DO NOT DRIVE OFF, *Repeat* DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.

If someone has a gun to your head, DO WHAT THEY ASK YOU TO DO. Crashing your car will not save you from being shot. This is very poor advice IMO

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control ALWAYS RUN!

The predator will only hit you, a running target, 4 in 100 times; and even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably in a zig -zag pattern!

Again I would say that this is very poor advice. Probably 4 in 100 times a criminal wants to harm you. The other 96 times they just want your money. Give it to them.

2. if youre a mugger and someone tosses their money and runs away, are you going to waste time chasing them? you already have what you wanted, unless money wasn't the object of the mugging, in which case you at least stand a chance running away. standing there and taking it almost assuredly will get you killed.

- if a person is in your car with a gun to your head, they definitely intend to do you harm. at least if you crash the car, it will draw attention to you and you stand half a chance. if you do what they say, youll just end up a statistic.

7. make up your mind, before you say that running is a no-no and now you say run! lol , i think everyone should agree that doing what youre told in those situations most of the time is a bad idea. and you end up floating in a ravine somewhere.

Also, can we please stay on topic, why are we talking about the the abuse of power by female cops, that's a completely diff thread lol

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Most of these suggestions are absolutely absurd. It's one thing to be watchful or vigilant, but quite another thing to live in a state of paranoia, ridiculously misplaced fear and crippling anxiety of others.

Number 4, for example, suggests that you shouldn't sit around in your car because you might be the victim of a ''predator''. So, you really want to live in a petrified state, constantly looking over your shoulder in fear that you'll become one of the miniscule percentage of people who fall victim to a random sex attacker who stalks car parks?

Number 5, again, offers sound advice to someone who is afflicted by paranoia and watches far too many horror films, but no normal person should be combing the area around their car for potential assailants; that's just not a normal, healthy way of thinking. The person who allegedly wrote this sounds like they must have some kind of phobia or disorder relating to excessive worry about abduction or attack.

As for number 6? Use the elevator instead of the stairs? Yeah, of course, no-one ever gets attacked in elevators. They're so much more salubrious than stair-wells.

Number 8 again is ridiculous. So you're not going to help someone in physical distress in the 0.000001% possibility that they are a deranged serial killer?

about number 4, my sister was sitting alone in a car one night after putting gas in her car and was robbed at gunpoint, so i dont agree with your assertion that number 4 is being paranoid because imo its great advice. its all paranoia until it happens to you huh.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Question Fate

7. make up your mind, before you say that running is a no-no and now you say run! lol , i think everyone should agree that doing what youre told in those situations most of the time is a bad idea. and you end up floating in a ravine somewhere.

Also, can we please stay on topic, why are we talking about the the abuse of power by female cops, that's a completely diff thread lol

What the heck are you talking about? I never said running is a no-no and I never said running is good. I said throwing your purse or wallet might get you shot or stabbed.

Are you on some kind of medication?

I never talked about female cops abusing power. That was a different poster.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
reply to post by Question Fate

What the heck are you talking about? I never said running is a no-no and I never said running is good. I said throwing your purse or wallet might get you shot or stabbed.

Are you on some kind of medication?

I never talked about female cops abusing power. That was a different poster.

"Doing this is probably going to get you shot or stabbed a lot quicker than if you just hand over your wallet or purse. "

So by saying that you were advocating this course of action?

"Again I would say that this is very poor advice. Probably 4 in 100 times a criminal wants to harm you. The other 96 times they just want your money. Give it to them. "

again, your own words

The last part wasn't directed towards you btw. Who needs meds? Someone needs some calming agent

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Thanks guys, good replies! Yes, there was a poster whom talked about police abusing their power.
Totally off topic!

Back to the subject:

Every situation will be different, these are just some good general tips. Common sense needs to
prevail. In my situation when I was attacked in the bedroom, I did fight back at first, I was quickly over
powered and my feeble attempt were enraging my attacker so I stopped.

At one point I noticed a 2lb. wrench on my night stand, I thought about it for a second and then thought, "if I have hesitate at all while striking him he will kill me with it" I did not pick it up!

Yes, I was beaten and raped but I lived! In my case the detectives told me that 98%I of victims
don't survive. That were astounded that I managed to escape!

For the ones here saying this is paanoia or absurd, I am living proof that it is not! You can read my story which is linked on the first page.

The message here is to be cautious!

Thanks,
Pax

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
i sometimes wish i would end up in a situation where i had to use force. sadly i live in a nice neighborhood.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Thanks guys, good replies! Yes, there was a poster whom talked about police abusing their power.
Totally off topic!

Back to the subject:

Every situation will be different, these are just some good general tips. Common sense needs to
prevail. In my situation when I was attacked in the bedroom, I did fight back at first, I was quickly over
powered and my feeble attempt were enraging my attacker so I stopped.

At one point I noticed a 2lb. wrench on my night stand, I thought about it for a second and then thought, "if I have hesitate at all while striking him he will kill me with it" I did not pick it up!

Yes, I was beaten and raped but I lived! In my case the detectives told me that 98%I of victims
don't survive. That were astounded that I managed to escape!

For the ones here saying this is paanoia or absurd, I am living proof that it is not! You can read my story which is linked on the first page.

The message here is to be cautious!

Thanks,
Pax

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, I'm glad you were able to recover. A very close friend of mine was raped as well, and had the attackers kid. It astounds me what the human spirit can recover from. If only everyone had that kind of strength.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Whilst it is good to give general advice, each situation is different and what would get you killed in one, might save your life in another. I had once a gun stuck right into my belly and the guy asked for my wallet. I was standing with my back to a wall. For some strange reason, I wriggled out, bent down to get my bag and legged it just a few meters to the next woman, shouting that he had a gun, I would never give that advice to anyone, yet it worked for me, he legged it and I called the police which caught him after a few minutes red handed robbing someone else. I wasn't robbed and helped catching him by giving his description. Also my husband once was going to get robbed and the guy had a knife at his throat but my husband pushed it away and asked him if he was an idiot. The robber legged it.
Both times we did what seemed very wrong but we did what our gut feeling told us to do in a split second, yet both times we got away better than if we had complied.
All I am saying is that whilst good advice can be handy, you have to do what feels right.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Excellent post Pax. Personally, I think it gives the advice more weight because a female wrote it. A woman is more susceptible to certain crimes than men are, so they will naturally think of ways to save themselves whereas men don't have that "luxury" as it were. And as an officer she can shed even more insight because of her experiences on the force.

I think people need to keep starring and flagging this periodically to help keep it on the front page. This kind of info can save lives.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is all great. But the suggestions of what to do in case of attack or attempted kidnapping will only work when backed up by training and repetative exercises. If you dont have all this locked in to your muscle memory, it wont do any good when it actually happens. You will freeze up and not know what to do.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Some of these seem to be ok to use but others tend to be a little more.....dangerous....to even think about in such a situation.

No.9 for some reason freaked me out.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It must be an *interesting* experience to live in the USA these days. What a horrific country that such advice is actually considered useful meaning violence is very common :-(

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Good stuff thanks for posting it,

A must read for myself and my wife. Funny I never heard of #10.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Yep, #9 freaked me out too. Could you imagine being alone in a house and have some creep playing a recording of a crying baby near your windows in an attempt to lure you out?

Anyway... Some of those are good points. Snopes might point out that the knee is the strongest point of the body, but the elbow is still sort of the second strongest and more easily used 'weapon of the body'... There's a lot of truths in that list.

One issue I had however was with the part about men sitting in cars and avoiding them... That's silly, and should be looked at on a case by case basis. I linger in my car sometimes in parking lots, and would be offended to have women avoiding my vehicle because of that. Is the man sitting in a nice car, well off, minding his own business with face buried in a smart phone or book? Or is he real iffy looking in a sketchy car, looking like someone that could really use a new set of wheels, clothes, and your purse? Also, I'm not so sure I'd want to ram my vehicle into something if a purp got into my car. In the heat of the moment, that could lead to pedestrian casualties or something... I'd just give up the car/exit if possible, let the purp have it and dial 911 at the most opportune moment.

Also the running from a robbery bit. I can tell you right now that there are robberies that happen where the purp is likely to shoot you no matter what you do. Others, however, will flee the scene as soon as something happens that they did not expect to happen.

I was in a situation once years ago with a friend in a parked car at night adjacent to a neighborhood park and became aware we were about to be robbed as soon as this hooded guy turned around and asked us for change for a five. My friend didn't quite sense the imminent danger as I did, but once this guy pulled out his weapon and started robbing us, I could see that he was very nervous so I played on that. I offered him a beer along with my possessions and he accepted it. In hindsight that was a funny action on my part, but the next one was a bit more risky to my friend's life as well as mine. I darted out of the car, down a set of dark stairs into a park while at the same time dialing 911 on a cell phone. The park was not illuminated so I was immediately in the shadows on the phone with dispatcher... I figured if I could be on the phone with them in the midst of this, they might actually have a chance to do their job... But oh no, they didn't show up for over 5 minutes after the fact.

It turned out that this action caused the robber to freak out and run the opposite direction. But had it been a different individual, this could have led to loss of life... Every situation is different and you have to adapt quickly.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing,this should be a wake up call not just to women but everyone who my become prey to a predator.

Something similar happened to me when I was 18,My girlfriend and I was living sharing a place when I woke up one night some strange man was watching me sleep.My angels must have been guarding me that night because this person left without assaulting either one of us.How does that old saying go?to be forewarned is to be forearmed,or to be prepared is half the battle.

The tips are a gold mine,thanks again,Always know what to do in any given situation it may be your life saver one day.

for all of you that are poo pooing the advice,I think the message is to be prepared for any given situation,to think not to just let terror overtake your good senses.

edit on 9-2-2012 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I have to ask what is a biro pen?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This "in case you're being robbed/abducted/raped" stuff is BS. Carry a gun, protect yourself. Sure, if you're stuffed into a trunk you can kick out a tail light and wave your arm... If you aren't tied up? Anybody getting in my trunk is unconscious or tied like a hog. Ram your car into anything? Great, pose an unnecessary danger to not only yourself but the lady walking across the street with her baby. How about get out of the car?

You know what I love? Stories of would-be robbers getting shot in the face by well armed citizens. I don't believe in "911-dial-a-prayer" or kung-fu. I believe in metal projectiles fired by citizens who have a clue. In my location I know a pizza will get here faster than the police, and it's like that way in many places. All you do when you dial "911" is call a gun to protect you, why not cut out the middle man?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
reply to post by imasecretspy

Others just seem downright deadly.

Really? Which ones?

Originally posted by paxnatus

...If someone is in the car with a gun to your head, DO NOT DRIVE OFF, *Repeat* DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car.Your Air Bag will save you.

edit on 2/8/2012 by paxnatus because: typo

edit on 2/8/2012 by paxnatus because: (no reason given)

That one.

Let me know if you need me to point out another for you.

edit on 9-2-2012 by imasecretspy because: 2nd line and added the bolding

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by jewells

Still terrible advice.
How about if you hurt yourself worse than them by crashing the car and they stab or shoot you anyway for trying to stop them? What if they aren't going to kill you and then you do something like that and they do, or you crash your car and they slit your throat or shoot you on accident.

Better advice, just lock the door when you get in the car, carry pepper spray, call a number on your cell phone and leave it in the seat and shout to the attacker. Lots of things you can do, I mean you can crash the car, but I wouldn't do it with a gun to the temple or a knife to the neck, maybe if they just showed you a gun and weren't holding it on you.

I see your point. Maybe in the instance of a random attack this may work, but as I said above, this was a serial killer that had already struck in the area, proving his intentions.
While you're correct that the gun may go off in the crash/or slashed by knife, at least at traffic lights there would be people to assist you & call emergency, & also witness/identify the attacker trying to run away (which is what he'd be trying to do).

It also stops him from having time to wipe away prints etc, which is what Debbie Freams murderer had time to do in isolation.
Also, in the event of a crash ,theres also a good chance of him being thrown off balance. I'd be swerving in the direction he's pointing the gun & ducking, all the while trying to aim his side corner at a pole, lol.
I've given this heaps of thought.
Sorry, I'd still be crashing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join