It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dome Homes: The Future for Florida?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
With meteorologists predicting a 40 year period of more frequent and intense hurricanes, Floridians and others who live with the threat of hurricanes are faced with the major decision of whether to rebuild or not when disaster strikes, but the future of storm proof homes has arrived and the Dome Home which survived direct impact from Hurricane Ivan should be looked at as the alternative when rebuilding. MSNBC reporter Kerry Sanders spent the night on Pensacola Beach in the Dome Home of Mark Sigler.

www.msnbc.msn.com
PENSACOLA BEACH, Fla. - First light revealed that the "Dome Home" made it through the night and did exactly what it was designed to do -- survive even the worst hurricane.

It was designed by Mark Sigler to withstand winds up to 300 miles per hour and a direct hit from a hurricane.

FEMA, the federal agency, approved the plans, and even provided a small grant to the beachfront project.

The house sits on 16 pilings, driven 17 feet into the sand. It's a solid concrete house with 5 miles of steel reinforcements for added support.

The shape of the house, in conjunction with the pilings, was designed to allow the water to literally wash around the house, rather than knock it down. And that�s exactly what happened.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

With each landfalling hurricane, more lessons are learned on how to build and protect homes vulnerable to high winds. Following Hurricane Andrew, stronger building codes were set in place for the state of Florida. Now with Hurricane Ivan testing the Dome Home on Pensacola beach, we see that even more can be done to help those who want to live in paradise but be prepared for wicked weather. While the Dome Homes may be more expensive than conventional homes, with support and backing from FEMA, Fannie May and housing developers, the hurricane proof home could be the future for Florida's coastline.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This is nothing new. David South of The Monolithic Dome Institute (www.monolithicdome.com) has been touting this idea for years. It's rather unfortunate that even after all these diasaters, Mr. South still isn't given credit for being at the forefront of this movement.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
agreed, the idea of dome structures being the strongest structures that man can build to withstand natural forces is certainly not new, but with the increase of wicked weather, more attention will be paid to these structures and hopefully it will be successfully integrated in the current house development. Whether David South or anyone else gets credit for this idea, I personally don't care, I just want to see it more become more mainstream and accepted by FEMA as a new standard for people living in areas where natural disasters occur on a more frequent basis.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Dome homes present the least surface area to the wind, are quite aerodymanic compared to structires with flat rectangular surfaces, and have the least surface area for heat/cold exchange between interior and outside. No surprize that the dome home survived Ivan. But is it necessary to use 5 miles of rebar in its construction?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think that particular house used the extra steel because it is directly on the beach facing the ocean. I am not sure if houses built more inland on solid ground compared to sand would require the same amount of the reinforcement.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Having fragile houses in FL is in the interest of the construction industry which will make billions in rebuilding.

So expect all sorts of opposition to this... Plus it must in reality be quite expensive.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
What is expensive? Dome home or fragile house?

I would love to build a dome home. However, I couldn't put it up in a subdivision, even if a lot were available due to building codes and zoning regulations. Where I live, I would be forced to purchase land outside of a subdivion, run all utilities, etc.. Unfortunately, these type of homes aren't seen as a replacement, more as an eccentric's domicile.

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I actually think that the future homes will be earth-bermed homes and earth-sheltered homes, as well as dome homes, there are already some cities that have been built underground, for example in Japan.

We can not control the weather at all, but underground, where the temperature remains a constant 65-70 degree no matter what happens above ground, and where the home and family living in it, will not suffer any of the consequences of natural disasters. Of course these underground homes have to be built at least 100 feet or more above sea level, just to avoid flooding. But these homes are energy efficient, they are impervious to forest fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, or almost any other natural disaster.

[edit on 16-9-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Dome houses are a great idea for weather proofing homes, I have though about what would work in the past and a well built dome is the on top of the list, even one weather proof room above flood levels would be enough.

In my town the structures that were damaged the most were all old structures that needed to go any way. There were a few concrete block structures that lost roofs and the walls were still stadning strong. I saw Frances as a great way of "cleaning up" the weak structures.

[edit on 16-9-2004 by jrod]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
What do you think the price is on these "DOME HOMES" are they cheaper or more expensive? These defently look like the future, how do they fair againsts earth quakes?

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Quite a bit more expensive and I do not know how they would fare against a quake.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Google search of monolithic domes takes one to the Monolithic Dome Industry websites.

Quotes for domes are $45.00 per Square foot, in comparison to $90.00 for conventional homes.

Some quote UP TO 90% of the cost of a conventional home.

Another fact, touted on the School websites, about 'dome' public buildings, is that the energy savings pay for the dome structure in only 20 years, and that the structure can last for CENTURIES!

Our next home will be a monolithic dome, probably based upon an Orion II. We will have 2300+ square feet TWO STORY, at the cost of our present 1100 square foot ONE STORY, concrete block home, but, with NO ROOF SHINGLES to blow off as has happened in the four storms, and 40 inches of rainfall from the rain shower bands and OTHER tropical storms, we experienced in the recent 35 days! Our utility expenditures will be the same in the huge 2 story dome, as is currently experienced in the tiny 1 story house! Cost of the 2300 square foot Dome as we have planned it, is $162,235.00 while the average 1200 square foot house in Seminole County runs $160,000! A seperate 36' domed Garage, driveway, and sidewalks add ~$20,000.00.

The cost of a conventional roof every 5 to 10 years, as is required by the Florida environment, along with the termite, Carpenter Ant, Cockroach, Palmetto Bugs, Carpenter bees, dry rot, fungus, mold, Snakes, and 'Alligators ate the dog and kid, problems' in Florida, add up to a HUGE expense that would not exist, or would be dramatically reduced, in a Monolithic Dome.
(Gators so thick, after the hurricanes, 40" rains, they got into the house and chased the toddler!)

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I have been building geodesic domes for 35 years and had adopted the "I told you so " attitude towards storm resisitant domes for decades. We have a dome in our community that was hit by an F5 Tornado and was the only building in miles to survive. I'm not lobbying for more clients. Those who wish to build a dome can find me. My point is there is an awful lot about building a dome that the kit companies don't DARE tell you till they have your money. Most of these issues are easliy dealt with but one thing is for sure. You cannot go wrong if you vent and roof a dome properly. These are the most common mistakes made in dome construction. Forget the foams for a roof, people. It leads to trouble in your climate.
Our energy savings on a 4045 sq.ft double dome has paid for the home in 15 years.I won't live in anything else...ever.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Quite a bit more expensive and I do not know how they would fare against a quake.

The dome is the strongest possible design short of a sphere- should do well if smallish and heavily reinforced, unless on top of a liquifaction zone or in the path of a really big landslide. How about reverse dome basements, for fully-spherical domes?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

Nope! That is a myth perpetrated by the establishment. Domes are now easier to put up and cheap as well. Ever hear of those domes that are pumped up with just air pressure like a balloon?(Made out of concrete and steel btw) The tech has been around since the 70s, its a shame its taken this long to get people to take it serously. I also heard Thermasave is good against quakes as well...

[edit on 8-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
hurm. I used to know someone who actually had plans for a dome home, it was supposed to be some business that he was expanding for hurrican alley areas and what not.

I also know someone else, unassociated, that lives in a house that is simply shaped like a dome, a 'monolithic dome' its called. Apparently its a 'thing' to do these days or something

new topics

top topics

join