It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Separable SSS : Skin Shader for Real-Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I just found this gem last night but didn't get around to posting. Here is a tech demo of real-time SSS (subsurface scattering) running off DX10, just incredible. This is only the start of the future for ultra-realistic human/organic rendering for gaming.

Here you can download the HD video, or the precompiled demo & test it out for yourself.

Jorge Jimenez

edit on 8-2-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Umm.. Wow... It was PC Gamer or Wired where I'd read an article a few years ago about a threshold for facial realism that people just wouldn't want in their gaming. This goes so far beyond what they were talking about at the time, that it's just a whole new category.

I can see the use for this...in public kiosks for example or advertisements. However, I'd have to take a huge pass on the realism this would represent for playing Deus Ex or Battlefield 3.
There is certainly a limit. Then again... It'd be kinda creepy in the Sims or other totally non-violent settings too. Hmm.... I'm sure we'll see it applied in all of the above before we know it though. Interesting to see.

edit on 8-2-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Nice. I do 3d for games and such. The quality has been getting better and better. SSS is fun in maya btw!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thanks for the reply. As for taking a pass on this level of realism, you'll soon be eating those words. ;] Eventually it'll integrate into our everyday lives & we'll again become used to it, although there may be a differing factor this time around; because of the close resemblance.

So people may form bonds with characters very easily, not be so quick to enact violence, etc. Naturally this will raise some questions regarding morality, desensitization, and eventually when the AI becomes conscious that will really cross over into a new boundary. There will probably be limits in place not allowing players to torture or murder conscious NPCs. Which I agree, it shouldn't be a free for all.

This combined with virtual reality will allow anybody to enter different realms, socialize across the world & across digital universes; of course sex will make it's way in. In essence, we're on the brink of a computing technology transition that will change the way humanity lives, communicates; and will alter human sentience/perception of reality. This is of course, if we can get past the wars. It appears like our governments are dying to get WW3 rolling, possibly a nuclear holocaust which will stifle and ruin everything we've worked for.

Peace

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by wrksstudios

I'm a 3d artist as well. Although skin shading isn't my strong suit, improvements like this always amaze me. We're living in the future. ;] Do you happen to have a site/portfolio?

Peace

top topics

join