It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What? A Purple Squirrel?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Ok, sorry if this has been posted. I searched for Purple Squirrel and this did not come up.

So it seems that Pennsylvania has some very colorful wildlife!

Purple Squirrel

I know some people are going to say it is dyed but the color looks natural, as in smooth and even through out the fur. There was one comment on the page that said there is a chemical exuded during hibernation that can account for this but I can find nothing to back it up. Regardless of why, that thing sure is cute!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
wierd and cute at the same time

maybe it was something it ate or rubbed up on that caused to turn purple?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Could be something natural. I know some fungi are purple in color. Though I dont know if consuming them would turn the fur purple. Might make everything he sees purple though

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Looks like light reflecting on it's fur from something.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
You know how some people's skin can change color slightly if they eat large amounts of carrots? Well maybe this squirrel is keen on blueberries or something.

I don't know much about it, but I would say diet is the culprit.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Wouldnt the light tinge the wood and cage purple also?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I see bucket full of purple rit dye sitting on back deck...I see squirrel leaping from tree branch to deck railing...I see oops......

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

What with militant Animal Right's Groups breaking into labs and releasing test animals, it wouldn't be too far fetched for this to be one of those.

Most likely, since squirrels aren't common as lab animals, it's just a dye job, or squirrel got itself covered in/exposed to something that would dye its hairs.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Sounds like a scene from a nature comedy

link   
Any colloidal silver in the drinking water?

Paul Karason puts a whole new spin on "feeling blue.” For more than a decade, the 57-year-old has been living with a blue face. Fourteen years ago, Karason developed a bad case of dermatitis, which results in swollen, reddened and itchy skin. He started self-medicating, using a treatment called colloidal silver, which is made by extracting silver from metal. Click here to hear the blue man tell his story (VIDEO) Often touted by manufacturers as a cure-all, colloidal silver usually is found in a liquid form. Looking for relief, Karason drank the concoction and rubbed it on his skin — something the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not recommend. His skin slowly turned blue. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Wouldnt the light tinge the wood and cage purple also?

They don't appear to be as reflective, but hey what do I know. Would be a first for sure, a purple squirrel, odds are against it however.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Oh, another one!
There was one discovered in the UK in 2008, too.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I wonder what causes this?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Paul Karason puts a whole new spin on "feeling blue.” For more than a decade, the 57-year-old has been living with a blue face. Fourteen years ago, Karason developed a bad case of dermatitis, which results in swollen, reddened and itchy skin. He started self-medicating, using a treatment called colloidal silver, which is made by extracting silver from metal. Click here to hear the blue man tell his story (VIDEO) Often touted by manufacturers as a cure-all, colloidal silver usually is found in a liquid form. Looking for relief, Karason drank the concoction and rubbed it on his skin — something the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not recommend. His skin slowly turned blue. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

Holy crap Kdog! I think you found the squirrels owner!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

The article speculates the UK squirrel may have gotten into some old printer cartridges. Not sure why a squirrel would mess with those though.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

www.foxnews.com...

Whoa.....a real life Papa Smurf!

2nd

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
We have whole communities of White Squirrels near here! They are pretty cool! They seem to be getting more frequent and widespread.

There is even a Top 10 list of places to go see them!

Squirrels seem to thrive around our ever-intruding civilization, so it makes sense we would see them evolving.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I'd prefer a pink squirrel.
-BURP!

link   

Originally posted by QueSeraSera
Oh, another one!
There was one discovered in the UK in 2008, too.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I wonder what causes this?

Someone needs to tell ET, if they are going to disguise themselves as squirrels, they need to work on the color....

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What would be natures purpose of evolving purple fur?

Are those albino squirrels or are they white?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
I'd prefer a pink squirrel.
-BURP!

Here's two!

Pink Squirrel Martinis!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join