It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 reasons for having a food pantry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
ROOT Cellar,,
i remember growing up on the farm,, and way back then they had root cellars,,

anyone know the specifics/planning etc,,
that would be needed if i build a garage this summer,,
was just thinking,,
could it be incorporated into the design plans?

Thanks.

Me.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

The comment you made about having food when things get unexpectedly tight is very good. I didn't think of that but we do it too without even realizing it. Sometimes our monthly expenses are high and we do tap into our reserves and then plan our meals around them. When times are good we stock up again. It's sort of a savings plan we got used to. It's hard to save money because we are used to shopping as entertainment when we get money. If we didn't have this hobby we would just buy something we don't really need. Capitalism has trained us well in the art of buying things we really don't need and neglecting our real needs. It's hard to get back into a lifestyle of being self reliant while fitting into a society that has become mostly dependent on a consumer based philosophy.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Go visit an old farmer and ask him what he knows. Preferably one that still has all his marbles. Sometimes old people use parable or example type ways of portraying there knowledge so try to understand how they see things. If they tend to repeat things it may because they consider it important in their world. IF they seem to get off topic it may actually be relevant somehow and it will need to be deciphered by you at a later time. Sometimes the chemicals in our food that have caused them to forget parts so ask with interest if you think you aren't understanding them. Sometimes common practices of the time are considered something that everyone knew and aren't included in their recipes of knowledge. I could tell you what you desire to know plus more from my conversations with older people but this adventure is yours and I don't want to spoil you're quest for knowledge. When you find someone with this knowledge, ask them how they stored the meats in a root cellar. That's interesting....life before the fridge and freezer. Going out and finding out things on you're own gives you a broader spectrum of knowledge that can be used to create an array pattern of knowledge just like getting the flue does naturally. Use it to help the people you care for and teach it to someone young that has interest. This unwritten knowledge is part of the understanding of mankind. You will learn many things on the journey I have sent you on here, maybe even more than I have learned. Maybe someday I will be asking for clues to you're knowledge.

edit on 9-2-2012 by rickymouse because: lack of caffeine

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I've lived through two hurricanes, several knock out winter storms and straight line winds that have wiped out power for multiple days. A well stocked pantry is a godsend in any situation like that. It is really all about getting back to basics in our 24/7 convenience society.

My grandparents had a garden and canned everything they could to store in their fruit cellar. I believe in keeping a fully racked and rotated pantry based on what I learned from them and what I learned through personal experiences.

When bad weather is coming the grocery stores are literally a zoo with people hoarding milk and bread of all thins
. No need to be a part of that mess if you can avoid it.

Security and peace of mind are great motivators to establish and maintain a well stocked pantry without the need to go overboard.

Good thread!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I'm not much for standing in those lines listening to the negative things people say either. That negativity will drive a person HULU. I don't have much experience with the hurricanes that you have experienced but I do have experience with 15 foot high snowdrifts.

edit on 9-2-2012 by rickymouse because: Addition

edit on 9-2-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
One of the things that you didn't point out is stocking up when things are on sale.

We sale shop. When something we use on a regular basis is on sale, we buy it by the case.

In the long run, it cuts your grocery bill way down.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Having food in the pantry, is always a good idea. Some wanna have weeks , months or years worth stocked up.
If you have med's stored, thats good to. Fuel, water, and tools or other gear is also a good idea.
The biggest problem with some people, will be leaving your supplies, if you have to bug out.
If you don't have a way to transport your supplies, your going to have to eat or use what you can't take before you go, otherwise...you will be leaving it for whoever finds it. Thats not a bad thing, but ..its waisted money.
Do you have a place to go? Is it a shelter or out in the woods to live off the land?
To take the water needed for an extended stay, would be a lot of weight and space.
In many cases, I think it would be better to have some water, but ways to aquire more along the way, and ways to collect it and store it once you get to where your going.
If your on foot and walking to a BOL, you might be a couple of days from it...with hiking to it and carring a pack, you will be more than likely, taking a road less traveled...so to speak. So, you will probably need or want a lot more water, as you will be needing it to keep moving quickly.
If something happens to your vehicle and you cannot get it and your stuff to the location..can you make it without it?
I highly suggest that if you store or stock things...that you don't keep all your eggs in one basket..so to speak.

edit on 9-2-2012 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Speaking about keeping all you're eggs in one basket, I'm still trying to make a decision of powdered eggs vs. egg crystals.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by imasecretspy

Having a BOB in you're car here in Upper Michigan in the winter doesn't work if it contains anything that freezes. I assume you are refering to "Bug Out Bag" and not to a "Bottle Of Booze"
which you should keep in the trunk. If something big happens, maybe a shot of Booze might not be a bad idea.

You need to check out lifeboat rations. There are 3 main brands.

One brand can be repeatedly frozen and is good to far above any temp in direct sunlight. (car trunk A-OK)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join