It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO Admits That Cell Phones Cause Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Mobile phone owners were urged to limit their use last night after the World Health Organisation admitted they may cause cancer. The UN’s health agency advised ‘pragmatic’ measures to reduce exposure, such as using hands-free kits and texting instead of calling. The disturbing report marks the first time the WHO has linked mobiles with cancer, and follows earlier research linking just half an hour’s use a day with up to 40 per cent higher odds of brain cancer. However the mobile phone industry was quick to point out that the devices had not been directly shown to cause cancer. More than 70million mobile phones are now in use in Britain – more than one for every man, woman and child. Worldwide, the total tops five billion.

something a lot of us expected i guess.

i try to limit exposure to my gadget as much as i can but many times i fail.
i just love my Iphone

it's nice to hear it from the horses mouth.

Dr Christopher Wild, director of the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer, said: ‘Given the potential consequences for public health, it is important that additional research be conducted into the long-term, heavy use of mobile phones.

so what do you think ATS?
are you going to step away from your cellphone?
or do the advantages outweigh the risks according to you?

before you answer that question, let me please remind you.

just half an hour’s use a day with up to 40 per cent higher odds of brain cancer.

furthermore a list of DO's and DON'TS

DO´s

Keep your mobile phone in your bag rather than in your pocket or next to your body. One study shows that men who wear cell phones near their groin risk reductions in their sperm count by up to 30 per cent.

Send text messages or email where possible – don’t lean it against your body as you do so.

Use a wireless headset.

Moving your phone 20cm away from your head reduces radiation doses by about 98 per cent

Keep still when you’re using it. If you’re on the move, whether walking or in a vehicle, your phone needs to use more radiation to keep track of you.

Hold it away from you after dialling and watch the screen to see when it connects. Most phones emit more radiation when they’re trying to make contact.

Go low-tech. The more sophisticated functions your phone has, the more power it must use to complete tasks.

DON´TS

Talk for hours on end. The longer you use the phone, the higher a dose of radiation your brain is soaking up. Even a two-minute call has been found to alter the natural electrical activity of the brain for up to an hour afterwards.

Use a regular wired headset, like the one that came with your phone. The regular wired headset has been found to intensify radiation into the ear canal.

Allow your children unlimited mobile phone use. Young brains encased in thinner, more fragile skulls risk greater damage
Do not make a call when the signal strength is one bar or less.
The phone must work harder to establish a connection.

Use the cell phone in enclosed metal spaces such as vehicles or elevators, where devices may use more power to establish connection. The metal enclosure also acts as a Faraday cage that traps the radiation and reflects it back on to the occupants.

ETA:
source
edit on 8-2-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If the WHO says it. WHO CARES! This is good news because it probably means cell phones dont cause cancer, although they may cause hearing loss common sense tells us that.

The organization that brought you swine flu is now saying cell phones are dangerous, I will take my chances. It's like if the FDA says a certain vitamin has not been evaluated by the FDA for health benefits it is probably healthy for you.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
"Now that our lords and masters have made a statement, it now becomes the truth....", says the sheeple.

Since my own research into the dangers of cell phones way before "official statements", I went from a fancy Sprint LG with the works package, to a $15/month pre-pay with text ability.

I also told most of my friends I think 9-11 was an inside job, which drastically reduced my cell phone usage by about 95%. So my conspiracy minded self exercising honesty has saved me from yet another cancer causing agent.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I always thought that was true, it seems like common sense...how could you think constantly carrying an electronic device like a radio-transceiver up to your brain or body wouldn't cause some detrimental effects?

in an industrialized "civilized" society, we have frequency pollution everywhere, just because we can't see all of the EM spectrum it doesn't mean it's not there and not affecting us.

edit on 2/8/12 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Inaccurate article title.

The working group concluded that mobile phone use is ‘possibly carcinogenic’, a term which places the phones in the middle of five tiers of possible carcinogens.

They are below smoking, asbestos, sunbeds and other things which definitely cause cancer, but still a potential risk.

preventdisease.com...

The article says there is no conclusive evidence but it wouldn't hurt to be cautious.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Of course they are going to say "no conclusive evidence", that's corrupt corporation diversion 101. Conclusive evidence will come out when the statutes of limitation for law suits expire.

link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
"Now that our lords and masters have made a statement, it now becomes the truth....", says the sheeple.

Since my own research into the dangers of cell phones way before "official statements", I went from a fancy Sprint LG with the works package, to a $15/month pre-pay with text ability.

I also told most of my friends I think 9-11 was an inside job, which drastically reduced my cell phone usage by about 95%. So my conspiracy minded self exercising honesty has saved me from yet another cancer causing agent.

wish i could star this to death

you practically told my lifestory as well

but i still have my iphone though, they'll have to rip that thing from my cold dead hands.

link   
Everything gives you cancer....... Were I to remove everything that caused cancer from my environment I would be forced to live in a vacuum.

I give up!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

You mean like for all those mesothelioma and tobacco lawsuits?

The article is mistitled. The WHO did not "admit that cell phones cause cancer."

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

You mean like for all those mesothelioma and tobacco lawsuits?

The article is mistitled. The WHO did not "admit that cell phones cause cancer."

have to agree with Phage on this one.

they said there might be a link an it wouldn't hurt to watch yourself.

but this needs further investigation.

i just copied the thread title for sensationalist purposes.

(shame on you kn0wh0w!!)

i know, i know....

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If tobacco definitely causes cancer, then how do so many people smoke for 50+ years and don't contract smoking related cancers? My grandfather being one of them, smoked Camel non filters for 60+ years, never had cancer and died from unrelated cause.

I think it has more to do with the additives in tobacco products than the tobacco itself, also certain combinations of said tobacco + X, Y, or Z binary activators.

Like you said though, it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I used to complain to my husband about my cell phone making my hand feel hot but he would just roll his eyes...til one day when he was using my cell phone and his own hand started smarting.

For the doubters: www.cancermonthly.com...

I know personally of two otherwise young and healthy people who developed this form of cancer in the past ten years. I wonder what the next ten will bring?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yes smoking CAN cause cancer, but people who live relativity healthy life styles and and have no genetic predisposition to cancer have a much higher chance of not contracting it.

There are many in the Asian community that smoke well into their 80s and do not have "many" adverse effects from smoking. This is due to their very healthy eating habits, their not gobbling down Quarter Pounders daily. They eat very well and remain active.

People died all the time of cancer back in the day, especially in cultures where smoking was very heavy (such as native American cultures and Middle Eastern) people simply didn't know what caused it then.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I think what the author and Jibby is trying to say is that the WHO admitted as much as they could given that the are the WHO. Any sensible person has long ago figured out that holding a cellphone to your brain is probably not going to increase your lifespan and since the WHO needs to cover it's collective asses/credibility for the long haul now so are they.

But don't take my word for it as i don't even believe that smoking is a significant, if at all, cause of lung or any other cancer! Either way as long as you breath city/factory smoke and drink water with pesticide and herbicides in them i am of the opinion that you can probably strap a cellphone to your head and smoke three packs a day without significantly increasing your risk profile for the commonly related cancers.

As long as the capitalist class can convince us that cancer results from our 'bad lifestyle choices' i am sure the WHO/mainstream media will do a fantastic job of informing us as to how to decrease our risk profile by 0.0001% here and 0.0005% there while ignoring the big industrial waste spewing elephant in the room.

Thanks WHO/MSM.

Stellar

PS: I have not the money or inclination to test said smoking/cellphone theories but i think some ATS members might be interested if we could line up some sponsors!

edit on 8-2-2012 by StellarX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Your source article seems to be throwing some fear into the mix, here is another viewpoint:

Many press reports pointed out that this puts the hazards of cellphone use in the same category (Group 2B) as lead and chloroform. However, we fear lead because it causes brain development problems in children and chloroform because it’s acutely toxic. Neither of these effects has anything to do with cancer. On the other side of the fence, the wireless communications trade organization, CTIA, highlighted two innocuous-sounding members of Group 2B: coffee and pickled vegetables.

Link

Here is a link to the actual .pfd released by the WHO.

Right now it states the case is inconclusive but there is mounting concern, which needs to be met by further study. They also mention that there are 5 billion mobile phone subscriptions globally.

When this is finally put to rest, I wonder what's going to happen to cell phones?

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
DON´TS

Talk for hours on end. The longer you use the phone, the higher a dose of radiation your brain is soaking up. Even a two-minute call has been found to alter the natural electrical activity of the brain for up to an hour afterwards.

Use a regular wired headset, like the one that came with your phone. The regular wired headset has been found to intensify radiation into the ear canal.
The first one I certainly agree with, but who found that the regular wired headset has been found to intensify radiation into the ear canal?

That second "don't" sounds like complete nonsense without any specific study cited to support it. The WHO report certainly doesn't say this:

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Your source article seems to be throwing some fear into the mix, here is another viewpoint:

Many press reports pointed out that this puts the hazards of cellphone use in the same category (Group 2B) as lead and chloroform. However, we fear lead because it causes brain development problems in children and chloroform because it’s acutely toxic. Neither of these effects has anything to do with cancer. On the other side of the fence, the wireless communications trade organization, CTIA, highlighted two innocuous-sounding members of Group 2B: coffee and pickled vegetables.

Link

Here is a link to the actual .pfd released by the WHO.

Right now it states the case is inconclusive but there is mounting concern, which needs to be met by further study. They also mention that there are 5 billion mobile phone subscriptions globally.

When this is finally put to rest, I wonder what's going to happen to cell phones?
Thanks for the link to the WHO pdf, saved me the trouble of searching.

I see nothing wrong with the WHO recommending a little caution. I've already been exercising such caution, so my habits won't change at all. I use my cell phone in moderation, meaning far less than 30 minutes a day. People who use their cell phone 30 minutes a day or more may want to consider this WHO report and use it to decide whether changing your habits makes sense.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Luckily I only use it for 1 minute at most a day, if at all. Sometimes just 1 text a day. Usually it's off too. So no idle radiation

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
After several thousand hours of talking on mobile phones in the last 15 years, my ear, phone side of my head will now ache all night long, if I make the mistake and use a mobile phone for a conversation. The sensation feels like a burning on the phone side of my head.

Eight months ago I turned it off, and no longer use the silent monster. Since this time the burning sensation on the phone side of my head has ceased! I tested it a couple of months ago and used it for about 10 mins to make a call and that night I had a burning sensation once again and none since. All I know is the pain is enough not to want to continue using a mobile phone for calls.

I would bet my testicles that these things are evil and that the Telcos know this already, I guess its a bit like the tobacco companies or Fukushima, its about profit and paid denial in the interests of making money.

Use at your peril.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It's always seemed common sense to me: putting something electric right next to the whole in your head is bad. People have been aware that radiation is involved for a while as well.

Cheers for the post, and the guidelines!
And to everyone hating on the OP for misleading thread titles: it got you here didn't it?

Peace,
Ben.

new topics

top topics

join