It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roland Martin suspended from CNN after homophobic tweets during Super Bowl.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Roland Martin suspended from CNN after homophobic tweets during Super Bowl.

www.n ydailynews.com

“If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl” he added.

He also made fun of a New England Patriots player earlier in the day who arrived wearing a pink jump suit.

“He needs a visit from #teamwhipdatass” he quipped.

He did not address his suspension on his Twitter, but did post a link to a gay beating victim in a video speaking out.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
*Mods - Not sure where this belongs... thought the news forum for a news anchor sounded good...*

Ok, now, at first I thought this was being blown out of proportion...

Until I read that he posted a tweet of a gay beating victim...

What... the... f*@%....

I'm still trying to find the video he tweeted to see the context, but still... maybe this guy did deserve to go.

I wonder if the pink jumpsuit was for the breast cancer awareness they have been doing all year with the pink gloves/etc...

There are seriously some close-minded people out there.

You would think someone from a minority group like him would be more sympathetic to another minority group...

www.n ydailynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-2-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-2-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
said it before and ill say it again.

Freedom of Speech is not freedom from repercussions of speech.

If you want to say whatever the hell you want, and even then take the extra step of broadcasting it all over the internet, then dont work for an organization that relies on money from people who are going to get pissed off by the stupid BS you say.

imagine it the opposite angle... if you hired someone to work at your business, and they stood outside in the parking lot after work and exercised their freedom of speech by dressing up in a frilly pink tutu and telling everyone that your business was a proud supporter of the rights of drag queens or something... lol

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I hold the same POV as the poster above me. People are free to say what they want. They are not free from the backlash of what they say.

Especially when that person is a known spokesmen for a company, especially a company that HAS to be over-conscious of their public image.

I got to imagine he was drunk, or something when he posted these things. Only an idiot would not think there would be consequences.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl”

I spit my soda out of my mouth laughing so hard. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. He was probably just drunk and decided to tweet. People need to grow a backbone and not get offended by every little thing.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Who the heck is Roland Martin?

And where or who does he work for?

I have never heard of this person .

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham’s H&M underwear ad, smack the ish out of him! #superbowl”

I spit my soda out of my mouth laughing so hard. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. He was probably just drunk and decided to tweet. People need to grow a backbone and not get offended by every little thing.

is it backbone to ignore hateful speech? Or to call it out when you see it? Apathy certainly doesnt = backbone.

Not to mention, its not as though he is in jail for it. His company lost face because of his words, he has to pay the price. Pretty simple.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by grayghost
Who the heck is Roland Martin?

And where or who does he work for?

I have never heard of this person .

His highest profile job is as a talking head political commentator on CNN.

He didn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer even before this. I can't understand why someone in his position would be casually tweeting at all considering all the potential downside. Egomania I guess.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

is it backbone to ignore hateful speech? Or to call it out when you see it? Apathy certainly doesnt = backbone.

Not to mention, its not as though he is in jail for it. His company lost face because of his words, he has to pay the price. Pretty simple.

Well he wasnt directing this at the gays and wasn't threatening anyone. What makes you think this is hate speech?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Did he post video of the beating or the victim's very brave press conference? Two totally different implications. Otherwise, it just seems like silly hyper-sensitive over reaction.

That said, the African American community needs to reflect on how it deals with homophobia and issues of sexuality. I guess they are just like everyone else...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
RIDICULOUS that CNN suspended him. Why do we allow thin-skinned people or groups to have so much power? You're offended? I AM OFFENDED by your whining. Poor baby! Put on your big boy pants and get over it.

edit on 8-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Did he post video of the beating or the victim's very brave press conference? Two totally different implications. Otherwise, it just seems like silly hyper-sensitive over reaction.

Looking for it.

My question is, after everything that happened, including the suspension...

Why wouldn't he just say that it was taken out of context and apologize instead of posting the video in the first place...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo

Looking for it.

Why wouldn't he just say that it was taken out of context and apologize instead of posting the video in the first place...

Maybe because there is no reason to apologize. If anything they should apologize to him.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Looking for it.

Maybe because there is no reason to apologize. If anything they should apologize to him.

He should have had more respect for his job.

Most companies congregate in "Right to Work" states, and can fire you for any damn reason they please.

Seems to me like he should have thought about his job before hitting the post button.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Good!

I can't stand Roland Martin!

I hope he gets fired.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Honestly I can't stand him either. Most of the time he brings nothing to the table. And some of the time he has some ridiculously misguided views.

I remember specifically his issue with Virginia's declaration of "Confederate History Month". He flew off the handle, calling every confederate soldier an American Terrorist.

I was flipping through the fm dial yesterday morning. I came upon two co-hosts having a conversation about how much of an idiot Roland Martin is. They even apologized to the listeners who don't know who he is because now it was going to make them waste their time looking him up, and bring more attention to someone who really deserves none.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Well he wasnt directing this at the gays and wasn't threatening anyone. What makes you think this is hate speech?

It doesnt matter what i think is hateful. His company obviously thought it was hateful enough to suspend him. End of story.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Looking for it.

For what? For maintaining an ethical standard that they expect their employees to hold up to?

Come on now.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Don't like Roland Martin but i do believe this was made out to be far more than it really is.

Regardless.....if these comments were made on another network...the same thing would likely happen (they are businesses after all)....well maybe except for Fox News.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Not really a big deal considering some of the commercials said far worse

People will always look for things to argue over.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join