It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children of immigrants targeted by tax warfare in Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

english.irib.ir

Now some lawmakers advocate cutting off the child tax credit for tax filers who lack of Social Security number. The move is unabashedly aimed at making life harder for undocumented workers, even taxpaying ones, specifically by punishing their children.

Currently, the CTC is one federal tax benefit that people can claim using an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) instead of a social security number. This effectively makes it available to undocumented workers—those who lack formal authorization.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
finally, a step in the right direction. I feel sorry for the children, but if the parents of these children feel like they are getting abused please feel free to move back to your country of origin. Undocumented workers is PC for illegal aliens and if you don't like how you are being treated move on

english.irib.ir

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The problem comes in the fact that they are technically hurting American citizens. Frankly, my philosophy is that it's a pretty weak argument. These people are using their children as linchpins to stay in this country. Using a child is using a child, and it's a pretty poor way to parent.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001

the amount of tax cheating going on is real.

if the children don't have social security numbers, it's often because it's a scam.

i worked for a corporation where some young couples, yes illegals, paying very few taxes, were collecting fat tax returns and had no kids.

it's a scam that needs to end, it's become too lucrative since the Bush tax cuts.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jed001

english.irib.ir

Now some lawmakers advocate cutting off the child tax credit for tax filers who lack of Social Security number. The move is unabashedly aimed at making life harder for undocumented workers, even taxpaying ones, specifically by punishing their children.

Currently, the CTC is one federal tax benefit that people can claim using an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) instead of a social security number. This effectively makes it available to undocumented workers—those who lack formal authorization.

Good, at least they are doing something about illegal immigration. I don't think they are going far enough! 12 million cowards flee their country because they dont have enough pride to take it back from the bad guys....those same 12 million cowards come to the usa, proclaim their homeland pride and try and turn the usa into another mexico.... whats the difference between illegal and legal ???? about $600
edit on 8-2-2012 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
They say: "The move is unabashedly aimed at making life harder for undocumented workers, even taxpaying ones, specifically by punishing their children."

That is all we hear lately is how anything anti illegal hurts the children. They are trying to make people feel bad. These parents know full well all the risks they take when they get here, so if their children suffer in any way it is their own fault.

Of course we want to make life harder for illegals, they have no right to be here with their stolen identities and fraudulent documents and deciet. They come here without a health or background check. They come here and take jobs away from our citizens who desperately need to care for their own families. They shove their way to the head of the line while we have respectful immigrants coming here through the proper channels. It costs us billions of dollars in free education for their children, healthcare, welfare etc. Many of our own citizens are falling through the cracks and denied any benefits at all.

I think the pro illegal folks are getting desperate and keep using sob stories and children hoping the anti illegal folks will change their minds. No, it isn't the fault of the children, but neither is it the fault of any citizen. The parents and their kids should not be rewarded. We have too many citizens struggling and needing help and getting none. Why should illegals be catered to at every turn?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The simple fact is we have wasted trillions on war and violence and yet we complain about a fraction of that amount of money being spent on helping children.

It's an insane world.

I'm not saying I have the answers, I'm just saying we aren't even asking the right questions.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Someone needs to help me on this one....

If they are going after illegal immigrants and taking away child tax credits....then that means that illegal immigrants are filing taxes....right?

I thought they didn't pay taxes? Why are the filing for taxes?

Just trying to understand this one.
edit on 8-2-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Undocumented workers is PC for illegal aliens and if you don't like how you are being treated move on

How can they be an undocumented worker if they are filing taxes.....you have to file for taxes to get the tax credit...correct?

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
edited (found my answer)
edit on 8-2-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Are illegals filing taxes? What's going on here??? lol As far as I have known, if you are illegal then you aren't in the system at all...but this entire article goes against that.

AP SOURCE

But a 1997 law enacting a $500 per-child tax credit doesn't specifically exclude illegal immigrants from collecting. It was significantly expanded in 2001 to gradually reach $1,000, and rules were eased so that many more people could get it on a refundable basis. It was made more generous in 2009 so that more taxpayers could claim the credit or claim a larger amount. The expanded credit is slated to expire at the end of the year along with other Bush-era tax cuts and return to $500 per child, though it's commonly assumed that it will remain up to $1,000 per child.

"Although the law prohibits aliens residing without authorization in the United States from receiving most federal public benefits, an increasing number of these individuals are filing tax returns claiming this refundable credit," Rep. Sam Johnson, R-Texas, said when the House debated the payroll tax cut measure in December. "Illegal immigrants bilked $4.2 billion from the U.S. taxpayers (in 2010). I think that it's time that we fixed it."

The situation has Democrats in a box. If they fight the GOP effort to cut back payments of the tax credit, they'll be favoring the delivery of refunds to people who not only don't owe income taxes but aren't supposed to be in the country in the first place.

What's more, closing the loophole would raise real money — an estimated $10 billion over 10 years under the approach favored by House Republicans.

The Treasury Department says that in the 2010 filing year more than $4 billion in child credit refunds went to 2.3 million people who filed tax returns but didn't have Social Security numbers proving they were citizens or legal workers. That's a four-fold increase over five years earlier.

Apparently, there is a loophole on the child tax credit in which you do not need any Social Security number or employee/tax payer ID number to claim the credit. You only need to demonstrate you have the children. Furthermore, under Obama, most federal agencies are barred from communicating legal immigration status across the aisles. In other words, the IRS can't report these people to INS as illegals, they can only see that their tax return falls doesn't run afoul of tax laws (which, as mentioned, the child credit loophole not specifying immigration status means these credits are technically legal.) It does NOT mean the illegals are paying so much as a cent of taxes, either. The child credit is a guaranteed set total, regardless of whether you paid any taxes, paid a lot of taxes, or fall somewhere in the middle. So, essentially, the vast majority of the illegals taking advantage of it are grabbing a free $1000 per kid from the pool of US tax dollars.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
The simple fact is we have wasted trillions on war and violence and yet we complain about a fraction of that amount of money being spent on helping children.

It's an insane world.

I'm not saying I have the answers, I'm just saying we aren't even asking the right questions.

I'm sure we can all agree with you on how money is wasted on war and violence. Don't worry, we complain about that too.

We have legal citizens suffering and denied help while an illegal gets help. Many citizen families make like 2.00 over the poverty limit so cannot get all the benefits an illegal is getting. I have personally worked with many illegals. The women come right out and tell you that they lie and say they are a one income household when in truth they are not and make above the poverty limit. These women through their deciet are recieving all kinds of benefits that they are not qualified for. This is going on all across the USA. They get breaks at every turn including these tax credits for their kids and people are tired of it.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
The problem comes in the fact that they are technically hurting American citizens. Frankly, my philosophy is that it's a pretty weak argument. These people are using their children as linchpins to stay in this country. Using a child is using a child, and it's a pretty poor way to parent.

i have to agree with you , i have never understood the concept of the "anchor baby". if you are here illegally so is your child it is not hard to understand

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
They say: "The move is unabashedly aimed at making life harder for undocumented workers, even taxpaying ones, specifically by punishing their children."

That is all we hear lately is how anything anti illegal hurts the children. They are trying to make people feel bad. These parents know full well all the risks they take when they get here, so if their children suffer in any way it is their own fault.

we feel bad for children; so to get sympathy for any cause what better way to do it than to put than to put the face of a cute child to it

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yet where are the sad stories and pics of our own citizen children who are suffering because their families are barely above the poverty limit? Like a measely 2.00 over the poverty limit is going to help them in any way.

There will always be sympathy and compassion for anyone suffering no matter who they are or where they are from, but we cannot be responsible for the world's population of poor. Until we can care for our own first, there is no reason to put a foreigner ahead of a citizen and that is the problem.

Jobs are first given to an illegal before a citizen, leaving the citizen to fall through the cracks and suffer. Millions of jobs given to illegals could go to American citizens.
Illegals are given breaks at every turn and there is so much fraud all across the USA. Citizens are tired of taking a back seat and being shoved aside while illegals reap all the benefits.

When you have citizens choosing between life saving meds or food, there is a huge problem.
When you have citizens on long waiting lists for cheap housing because there are so many illegals taking advantage, there is a problem. When illegals are costing us billions of dollars while our own citizens are suffering and going without medical or whatever they need, there is a problem.

top topics

join