It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents furious as 13-year-old girls given contraceptive implants at school without their knowledge

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Ok I see why some may not like this...I get it. There will be over 500,000 pregnant teens this year. What kind of future will they have? In most cases they will not have a future. They will not attend college and some may even drop out of high school. Unfortunately kids just can't get the understanding of their parents.

What are the health risks to babies of teen mothers? A baby born to a teenage mother is at higher risk than a baby born to an older mother for premature birth, low birthweight, other serious health problems and death. Babies of teenage mothers are more likely to die in the first year of life than babies of women in their twenties and thirties. The risk is highest for babies of mothers under age 15. In 2005, 16.4 out of every 1,000 babies of women under age 15 died, compared to 6.8 per 1,000 for babies of women of all ages (9). Teenage mothers are more likely to have a low-birthweight baby. Most low-birthweight babies are born prematurely. The earlier a baby is born, the less she is likely to weigh. In 2006, 10 percent of mothers ages 15 to 19 had a low-birthweight baby, compared to 8.3 percent for mothers of all ages (2). The risk is higher for younger mothers: 11.7 percent of 15-year-old mothers had a low-birthweight baby in 2006; 18,403 babies were born to girls this age, with 2,153 of low birthweight (2). 9.5 percent of 19-year-old mothers had a low-birthweight baby in 2006; 172,999 babies were born to these women, with 16,362 of low birthweight (2). Babies who are premature and low birthweight may have organs that are not fully developed. This can lead to breathing problems, such as respiratory distress syndrome, bleeding in the brain, vision loss and serious intestinal problems. Very low-birthweight babies (less than 3 1/3 pounds) are more than 100 times as likely to die, and moderately low-birthweight babies (between 3 1/3 and 5½ pounds) are more than 5 times as likely to die, in their first year of life than normal-weight babies (2).

What are other consequences of teenage pregnancy? Life may be difficult for a teenage mother and her child. Teen mothers are more likely to drop out of high school than girls who delay childbearing. Only 40 percent of teenagers who have children before age 18 go on to graduate from high school, compared to 75 percent of teens from similar social and economic backgrounds who do not give birth until ages 20 or 21 (3). With her education cut short, a teenage mother may lack job skills, making it hard for her to find and keep a job. A teenage mother may become financially dependent on her family or on public assistance. Teen mothers are more likely to live in poverty than women who delay childbearing, and more than 75 percent of all unmarried teen mothers go on welfare within 5 years of the birth of their first child (3). About 64 percent of children born to an unmarried teenage high-school dropout live in poverty, compared to 7 percent of children born to women over age 20 who are married and high school graduates (3). A child born to a teenage mother is 50 percent more likely to repeat a grade in school and is more likely to perform poorly on standardized tests and drop out before finishing high school (3).

www.marchofdimes.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Well they used to arrange abortions for girls without their parent's knowledge or consent.
I guess they thought this the lesser of two evils.

This is how weird this is...
They will stick an implant in your daughters without consent, but if a child simply needs a plaster, paracetamol or whiff of their asthma medicine the school won't do it even if you give them consent..They simply refuse for fear of getting sued or something mindbogglingly stupid.

edit on 9-2-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

The choice should totally be up to the person wanting to become sexually involved with someone, not the school, not the parents, not government enforced. Government subsidized yes, not enforced.

Your child is your child but you don't own them or their bodies, that denotes slavery.

Now I am for the government sponsoring free birth control and birth control clinics.

I went to one back in the early 70's and it saved me from getting pregnant before I was emotionally, financially and in a more mature relationship with a man that I have now been married to for 37-38 years
(long time almost 4 decades, excuse my senior moment)

Once your child hits puberty if you aren't able to watch them 24/7 you better hope and pray that they are taking precautions or you can end up a grandparent.

Being a grandparent can be a blessing if you see a grand baby that is loved, cherished and well taken care of.

Being a grandparent, if you hold family dear, can be a heart ache if you rarely or never are able to see, hold, kiss, hug and tell them you love them.

Again, when you see Beyonce and some of the other scantly clad beautiful dancers/singers and the movies on Hollywood that our children are exposed to, the lyrics in our songs, WTF do you expect?

Is it any wonder our children are having sex at 13.

Read some of Meg Tilly's books. I thought I was a oddity having been sexually "awakened" at 10 now come to find out 53% of all girls and 40% of boys are sexually molested by the age of 14.

Again, I wish we lived in a different world, but we don't and so it is up to us to protect our children.

Talk to them, if you can't talk to them there are some wonderful books that are appropriate according to age that begin to inform them of the dangers out there. u2u me for good ones, according to age.

Knowledge is power and ignorance endangers.

Being protected is like insurance, better to have it and not need it vs. needing it and not having it.

One little romp in the hay, just once, can get a girl pregnant or worse.

edit on 9-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Star for your observation and comment.

Probably because the government with it's prison and welfare population ($$$) sees that in the long run prevention is more profitable than the aftermath of unplanned pregnancies.

More often than not, many young girls that get pregnant do not finish school and are not productive (not always, but statistics say most) that the earlier the pregnancy the more likely that person and her child will be on government welfare.

Statistics also show that the majority of people in prison, besides having lower IQ's (not all but most) also had less than ideal home lives.

When I was growing up children were not exposed to the sexual stuff they are now. It's in our music, our movies, our sitcoms, our advertisements, magazines, internet and they see the "stars" getting applauded, money, fame etc for flaunting their sexuality.

When I was in school, the average age of losing one's virginity was 18, (Senior Prom night).

Now, it's a lot younger.

And that, sadly is the way it is.

edit on 9-2-2012 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
What's next: sterilization vaccines for anyone deemed "invalid", rfid chips, "bugs" used to spy on families, Control dongles used to release a poison to kill the children of people with influence at the click of a mouse?

Good God! The Unibomber was right! Abuse of technology is going to inevitably lead us to either enslavement or anhilation.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Again the problem is not that they are being offered contraceptives. It is that they are injecting peoples kids with possibly harmful chemicals with out parental knowledge or consent. Give them condoms, teach them the consequences of unprotected sex, and try to instill responsibility in them. At the most, teach them how to approach their parents about it. Do not inject them with chemicals behind their parents back to lower the teen pregnancy rates. That's wrong.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The schools should be prosecuted for facilitating underage sex!

I have to sign consent forms just for school trips but not for this???

I would KICK THE FK OFF if they implanted my kids without my permission!!

There would be blood to pay, I aint kidding!

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am just wondering why we have law's at all in this country?

# It is illegal for a girl under 16 to have sex - but now, this government [our law makers]

are actively promoting underage sex.

# It is illegal to sell/buy cigarettes to anyone under the age of 18 - but you just need to

wait outside the school gates and watch the under 18's lighting up as they leave the school

gates

# it is illegal to drink alcohol under the age of 18 - but you know that in the evenings the

streets are awash with under 18's drunk, falling over, being sick, and filling the much over

worked Hospital A&E departments.

So back to my initial query why do we have law's at all when they are neither upheld or, as

in the first instance actually being promoted into being broken by the authorities??

At the age of 13 and under the age of 16 girls should be protected from predatory males and

NOT delivered up on a plate. [that includes adolescent boys who should be learning the

meaning of RESPECT]

The authorities promoting this illegal underage sex do NOT exactly have the welfare of these

young girls in mind because this kind of contraception does NOT protect them from sexually

transmitted diseases which are on the rise. And the younger a girl starts sexual activity the

more likely she is to develop cervical cancer in later years. it is also much more difficult for

a young girl with no experience to resist peer pressure, or the plea's of an amorous boyfriend,

citing caution is sometimes the only weapon left, this deprives the girl of that excuse after all

if there is no risk of pregnancy 'why hold back?'

These implants are tacitly telling underage girls that it is OK to start an adult relationship with

their boyfriends and no need to listen to what your boring old parents say.

Yes the teen preganancy statistics are appalling! We adults know as the young girls

involved do not, that in many cases this results in ruined lives, but the way to combat this

is to impress mutual respect on male and female alike and that underage sex is wrong,

damaging,and to be avoided..

.................................The best things in life are wrth waiting for..............................

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
again, noone here is talking about a 17 and 18 year old. We are talking about adults and young children. Adults injected children. it is as much a violation as an adult coercing a child into sex. The child has NO way to know what to consent to. In fact, they are straight up coerced. An adult they trust is telling them that its ok to get the jab. so they do.

It is predatory behavior. Just as having sex with a 13 year old is.

Your overreacting. If it was like sex then it wouldn't be legal even with your consent.

And really, if you think a 13 year old having sex with a 13 year old is ok, i pity your child.

Whatever I think isn't going to change the fact that it happens.

edit on 8-2-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

no, i am not. it is an invasion of a childs body. It is ABSOLUTELY on level with child sex.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by abe froman
Maybe,just maybe, all of society would be better of if EVERYONE had these sorts of implants from puberty til marriage.

You may be absolutely right. The problem is, who is the person that gets to decide this? And if one doesnt agree, should they be forced?

Freedom, my friend. It is a good thing.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
That is unacceptable. A 13 or 14 year old is not old enough to give consent on their own behalf. I find it funny that schools so much complain about having to take on the role of parent, and then administrators do things like this.

WRONG!

Children UNDER the age of 16 can have contreceptive implants as long as they are deemed Gillick Competant.

en.wikipedia.org...

Gillick competence is a term originating in England and is used in medical law to decide whether a child (16 years or younger) is able to consent to his or her own medical treatment, without the need for parental permission or knowledge.

The standard is based on a decision of the House of Lords in the case Gillick v West Norfolk and Wisbech Area Health Authority [1985] 3 All ER 402 (HL). The case is binding in England and Wales, and has been approved in Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Addition: For information purposes: ALL UK Doctors and Nurses are taught about Gillick Competence during their training and as such are advocates for the children concerned regardless of their parents.
edit on 9/2/12 by Wotan because: Addition

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905

Adults inject kids with drugs all the time for their health and the kids have no say if they want these vaccines, do you have a problem with that?

I don't think kids should be having sex, I blame the parents, but if the kids are doing it , which they are, shouldn't they be provided protection and birth control? Do we need more unwanted babies? How would you feel if the school was handing out condoms?

No i dont have a problem with it. You know why? It is done WITH PARENTAL CONSENT.

Provided with? absolutely. But NO ONE has a right to talk a child into contraception, especially without parental consent. Get it? Not to mention that it is not the schools place to make these decisions for society. School is a place of education. Not a place to persuade children into getting injected, without parental consent.

I would love it if the school handed out condoms. this is not the same thing, on any level, so that is, in fact, a strawman.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I am sorry to burst the bubble of some of you parents in the UK, but YOU do NOT have a right over your childs medical state and you do NOT have a right to know about anything medically of your child. That is the law in the UK.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

no, i am not. it is an invasion of a childs body.

Upon request by the child.

It is ABSOLUTELY on level with child sex.

No it isn't. How can you say that something which is legal to consent to and something that isn't are the same?
edit on 9-2-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

no, i am not. it is an invasion of a childs body.

Upon request by the child.

It is ABSOLUTELY on level with child sex.

No it isn't. How can you say that something which is legal to consent to and something that isn't are the same? The fact that one is legal and the other illegal makes it obvious.

It is upon the request of a MINOR. If a child requests alcohol or tobacco, should they be entitled to that, too? If they request an adult have sex with them, does that make it right?

One is not legal. It is NOT LEGAL to do this without parental consent. How you can argue that it is, is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It is upon the request of a MINOR. If a child requests alcohol or tobacco, should they be entitled to that, too? If they request an adult have sex with them, does that make it right?

From some posts above it seems that in some places it is.

One is not legal. It is NOT LEGAL to do this without parental consent. How you can argue that it is, is beyond me.

Your not getting it. You can consent to your child getting birth control implants. That is legal. You can't consent to them having sex with an adult. That is illegal. That makes them different.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

From some posts above it seems that in some places it is.

Your not getting it. You can consent to your child getting birth control implants. That is legal. You can't consent to them having sex with an adult. That is illegal. That makes them different.

No, YOU'RE (capitals so you can see proper usage), not getting it. Without parental consent, this is VERY illegal.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I'm not arguing the legality of the kid getting implants without a parents consent (in the US). I disagree with you saying it is the same as sex.

Look, if getting birth control was the same as sex you wouldn't be able to consent to your child getting the implants. The fact that it is legal for you to consent to it makes it different.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
I would KICK THE FK OFF if they implanted my kids without my permission!!

There would be blood to pay, I aint kidding!

Sorry to say, but you would not have a leg to stand on if your child consented to an implant, apart from the fact that the Medical Authorities have a legal statute to NOT even discuss you childs medical procedures with you without your childs consent.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

reply to post by captaintyinknots

I'm not arguing the legality of the kid getting implants without a parents consent (in the US). I disagree with you saying it is the same as sex.

Look, if getting birth control was the same as sex you wouldn't be able to consent to your child getting the implants. The fact that it is legal for you to consent to it makes it different.

I am not talking about birth control. I am talking about invading a childs body. which is EXACTLY what this is.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join