It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when do you give a star?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
For somthing relivant, somthing new/true, somthing amusing, somthing that calls to you, perhaps simply a good link?

What makes you hit star?

I dont know if im being to generous or too cheap

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
When I learn something new.
When someone makes me laugh.
When someone post what I see as "the truth".

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

All of the above... and even when someone you're arguing/debating with makes a good counter point or makes you think about your views/positions.

I'm extremely liberal with my stars

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
For teaching me something I didn't know, and for making a good point. I really wish we could do negative stars though; of course I would likely have -1,000,000 stars in that case.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Excellent approach...and definitely the same *reasons* I give stars (and Applauds as a Staff Member) for.

- If I agree with what the poster has said
- If I disagree but the poster has put forth something thats jolted me to think more deeply about what I do agree with or believe in

...and humour...sorry, I'm a sucker for a good laugh...so if a reply makes me drench my screen in whatever I'm drinking then chances are its gonna get a star from me...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FejkNick

ditto ,you get a staaaaaar!!,

I do also for people I agree with.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

listen gibbons, were going to have to review your medication

btw if you cannot decide what is worthy of a simple star, i am praying for you

usually i, give a star if i think they are either lying or being silly, if its not funny, if its rude, you know the classic things people dont like.

im the man that stars that

woooshh woooosh

and you can now see behind the invisible viel of the random starer

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hardly ever. Almost never. Stars (and applause) encourage 'group think' which is not healthy for anyone. Flags I can see. They tell others 'hey .. look at this thread, it's worth your time'. But stars? I'd like to see them gone.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FejkNick

What this guy said! If I could give you a star I would.

Oh and sometimes I give out stars as a social experiment. If I'm in a argument and neither party is getting stars, I give my opponent a star to if others will follow suit. I haven't gotten any conclusive data or anything, but its fun to see.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...and humour...sorry, I'm a sucker for a good laugh...so if a reply makes me drench my screen in whatever I'm drinking then chances are its gonna get a star from me...

Me too... sarcasm is my fav really.
I'm pretty much always being sarcastic and people probably think I'm just being a dick.... but alas, it's mostly sarcasm and humour.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

and also perhaps because you are a bit of a dick

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

LOL

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

and also perhaps because you are a bit of a dick

Indeed

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I give a star to anyone who has made me think.

Also, if someone post on a thread I create, I will generally try to give them a star if I think they have made an intelligent effort, whether I agree with what they have posted or not. Sometimes there are different opinions about things and just because I believe different doesn't mean it's not an excellent post.

I have often wished I could give someone an extra star when someone makes an extra good comment.

What if we could give an extra star at the cost of one ATS point, limited to one extra star per post.
That would also give an extra purpose to the point system?

edit on 8-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
When I was a kid and went to Sunday school we used to memorize bible verses. The teacher would give you one star for showing up. Two if you could read the verse, three if you had it partially memorized and four if you aced it.
I always remember him, he helped me train my memory. I use stars here now in the same sort of way. If you reply, if we agree, if I teach, if I learn.

edit on 8-2-2012 by intrptr because: bad timing.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

All of those.

I star when I agree with someone. Or I disagree, but the member is articulate and makes me understand their point of view.

Good links are worthy of stars, too. That can shed new light on an issue.

Or because you like the member and want to encourage them.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
When im not on mobile ats I give stars for the reasons in the op. I also give stars to people who prove me wrong

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Hardly ever. Almost never. Stars (and applause) encourage 'group think' which is not healthy for anyone. Flags I can see. They tell others 'hey .. look at this thread, it's worth your time'. But stars? I'd like to see them gone.

I agree on this but because of other reasons.The starring system gets abused a lot.

'Friends' starring each other NO MATTER what and lots and lots of multiple acounts.It happens on every site with such a system and ATS is no different here.

As for starring jokes,

I think that is the most ridiculous thing to do on here,I
appreciate a good joke but tell me this ,what is a good reason to promote jokes on here? I see seriously good comments being made (some to which i agree with and some i do not agree with) that get 1 ,2 or 3 stars and then some joke post beneath it gets 10 stars for making a joke that does not contribute a single thing in anyway.

It promotes joke posts which you see those posters receiving those stars (for nothing) make more of and they distract from the topic at hand , why reward that with stars?

is this AboveTopJoker.com ?

My idea would be to make stars dealt out public. No more anonymous starring or remove the feature altogether.
edit on 8-2-2012 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I give stars for all the reasons above too...

I also don't give stars at times.. whether I agree or not.

Sometimes, I feel that a large amount of stars on a post can be distracting from other posters. A large starred post tends to distract you from what others are saying. It kinda tempts you to skip posts that have not had any stars.

It's such a tough topic really.. Some posts get multi starred for one line replies that just rock, whereas other posts go into pages and pages of text explaining something in great detail, yet get no stars.. supposedly due to the amount that needs to be read.

Stars are still a good thing to have and give, but it can be a subliminal voting system as to what's hot and what's not and it can also make many a reader a little bit lazy at times.. especially if you're on your way out and just don't have the time to read..

There have been many a time where I have seen some outstanding posts with very few stars but can see some, in the same thread, that make others laugh with many stars..

luck of the draw i guess..

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
When I see a friend of mine or someone I particulary like has made a reply, no matter if it BS or really worth a star....I give them a star. They are my friends you see...

I also give the most credited and respected ATS members always a star and a flag, no matter what the contens...they have always valuable thoughts.

When I see my friend troll an other member I also give him a star...just to irritate the victim.

Just pulling your leg,...I am not this shallow.

There are exceptions....when I see someone has 999 stars I would give him a star and congratulate him for his contribution. So, thanks to who ever gave me my 1000 star for this reply.

edit on 9/2/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join