It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rethinking justice?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Of course I read what you wrote. I got that you support alternative sentencing and agree there needs to be changes.

When I say popular opinion is to sentence everyone to 100 years I wasnt talking about you.

I know the post is technically a reply to you but dont take it as some in-your-face assault. Touchy.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ill say this. The conscious system is better because they can see what happened without the your side/their side/ the truth side argument is taken out of it.

BUT

When they let people out of things just because they are "preferred" or put them up over another forcing another non con to starve its wrong.

The problem is in the interpretation of the rules. The rule makers suck ass right now.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot
I knew this thread would fall on deaf ears on this
very right-wing message board.

no lamp you do make good points. I think its just difficult sometimes for conscious peoples to seperate from mass-influence.

Not saying that about anyone here, its just something ive noticed. I like to say:

Murderers surrounded by murderers dont believe its wrong when they are murdering.

Group think is destructive sometimes.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm just saying we shouldn't throw stones at criminals, even heinous ones, as much as we love to and the reason why is because we commit as much 'soft evil' as the average murderer or rapist. I think our love to judge 'direct evil' causes us to overlook the indirect evil our very lifestyle causes.

Think of it this way. That computer you're typing on, that I am typing in, likely was built at least in part using child labor. Hence, consumer habits in the modern society support child abuse. Horrible yes. No less horrible than people who directly abuse children.

The very act of paying your taxes supports wars that cause innocent people to die. Unless you live in a cave or are super careful in your consumption habits, we are all guilty of murder and abuse.

Do we deserve to breathe fresh air and live? I am really not sure.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Have you ever thought that our praising of heroes and our righteous hatred of enemies is a cover for our own lack of heroism and our own, mostly indirect, heinousness towards other human beings and this planet?
edit on 8-2-2012 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I'm just saying we shouldn't throw stones at criminals, even heinous ones, as much as we love to and the reason why is because we commit as much 'soft evil' as the average murderer or rapist. I think our love to judge 'direct evil' causes us to overlook the indirect evil our very lifestyle causes.

Think of it this way. That computer you're typing on, that I am typing in, likely was built at least in part using child labor. Hence, consumer habits in the modern society support child abuse. Horrible yes. No less horrible than people who directly abuse children.

The very act of paying your taxes supports wars that cause innocent people to die. Unless you live in a cave or are super careful in your consumption habits, we are all guilty of murder and abuse.

Do we deserve to breathe fresh air and live? I am really not sure.

I agree thats why the # has to fall. You arent seing any disagreement from me with that. Ever since I started doing real paid work when I was 14 and was introduced to the concept of taxes and such, ive always asked why we let other people starve (it actually started with our own homeless then the question became universal) so we dont have to drive an old car? Just for example.

Then as I got older I learned about the world and learned there are poeople INTENTIONALLY starving people in third world countries and the like and its not even because they want to have a better standard of living even. They just want them dead/out of the way. Its horrible.

A lot of the criminals you talk about are BETTER people than the people that chastise and prosecute them. (with exception)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Have you ever thought that our praising of heroes and our righteous hatred of enemies is a cover for our own lack of heroism and our own, mostly indirect, heinousness towards other human beings and this planet?
edit on 8-2-2012 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

no but ill tell you why. Not that I disagree I just have a different view.

History is written by the winners-thats what people say here and they are right.

I also think even more of it as people are written in as heroes. Right place and right time, guided by conscious people and you can look like the greatest hero ever. You get your name in the history books.

Not saying this is a perfect example, but Amerigo Vespucci. Christopher Columbus didnt do # execept kill people and that guy has a holiday/recognition/place written in history.

If you are saying like a con says something or does something that causes a person to die, but then does everything in their power to bring killers to justice? I totally agree with that. The con society tries to live blameless.

This is funny because everything they believe is opposite what we were taught to hold true.

They say accept responsibility yet act and point out that they are blameless when they do something questionable.

They say do onto others as you would yourself, and they murder people.

They say we are all equal, yet are caught up on how they are so much more superior than anyone else.

I could go on and on. They for the most part are pieces of garbage though. My whole thing is I know a few that are good peeps, but they are all part of the "one" and seem to just condone the things when their bretheren do it. Yet they will put a person in jail, murder them and make it look like an accident, etc but then turn right around and attack someone who does those same things if they are not part of the mass. Then lie about it haha.

We wait because we are the powerless ones.

All I know is im strong and can still beat them up lol.

EDIT- and it might be because all my heros were considered enemies of the mass: MLK, Tupac, TJ, Lincoln (to an extent)

edit on 8-2-2012 by strangedays because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I think revenge just feels good and that it takes a great deal of humility to let go of it. Though of course, feeling angry and hateful for extended periods of time, like any drug, might feel good in the moment but will kill you eventually.
edit on 9-2-2012 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Does anyone else have any thoughts about this topic?

Should our law be based on revenge and appeasement of people's anger? Or should it be based on altruism?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join