It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jet Lag:What's Causing Dry , Warm Winter in History?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Jet Lag:What's Causing Dry , Warm Winter in History?

A little snow and rain are falling in a few states today, but
the 2011-12 winter has been extremely warm and dry across
the continent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

- Scientific American - Jet Lag

edit on 8-2-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The article puts forth the observation that

- strange forces are at work -

Just look at the picture of the jet stream in the article.

Notice anything that sticks out like a sore thumb?

BTW, where exactly is HAARP located?

The meteorologists are at a loss why the jet stream is

behaving the way it is. The jet stream controls winter

weather but strange forces are controlling the jet stream

this season. It's helping us out down here in the USA.

We should have fewer planes grounded on the Tarmac.

Our economy should benefit from the - strange forces -

controlling our jet stream.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Nope, Europe has just stolen all your bad weather, that's all

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tea4One
Nope, Europe has just stolen all your bad weather, that's all

Europe has it's own HAARP. I think it's in Norway.

Hmmm..... lets see. Where is that globe?

Oh...okay now i see.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
its an unstable back and forth between the warm and cold fronts.

They swing rapidly one side to the other somtimes getting worse sometimes better, depending on which side of the pond you are on!

The UKs winter has been drifting from earily nov to mid jan comparativly, im sure in ten more years it will swing back round the othe rway and give us long summers and short december winters again.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Yes, this has been the warmest winter on record in our parts. Environment Canada, the Farmers Almanac, and every two-bit meteorologist was way off base with their predictions. We were supposed to have a very cold winter.

Bizarre!

If this is anomolies with the jet-stream, I can't help but wonder what the outcome will be. I recall our trade winds were entirely effected during the summer as well. Completely changed the dynamics of the golf game.

We'll have to keep watching.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I predict England will have a great crop yield in 2012.

Plenty of wheat fields for the crop circles later on in the year.

Good luck over there!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent
Yes, this has been the warmest winter on record in our parts. Environment Canada, the Farmers Almanac, and every two-bit meteorologist was way off base with their predictions. We were supposed to have a very cold winter.

Bizarre!

If this is anomolies with the jet-stream, I can't help but wonder what the outcome will be. I recall our trade winds were entirely effected during the summer as well. Completely changed the dynamics of the golf game.

We'll have to keep watching.

According to Scientific American we have strange forces controlling our jet stream.

BTW, the Canadians are observing - strange- cloud formations over Canada.

Hmmmm.......

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The jet stream and trade winds are stuck further north over North America as a result of the Arctic Oscillation and La Nina. Same thing happened last year. It creates high pressure in the eastern pacific and the jet stream has to flow up and over the ridge of high pressure before it can drop back south over North America. As a result, the cold air and moisture from storm systems is stuck north.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drew99GT
The jet stream and trade winds are stuck further north over North America as a result of the Arctic Oscillation and La Nina. Same thing happened last year. It creates high pressure in the eastern pacific and the jet stream has to flow up and over the ridge of high pressure before it can drop back south over North America. As a result, the cold air and moisture from storm systems is stuck north.

The bad news is that Anchorage, Alaska is getting dumped on with record snow.

At least they are used to it up there. They have the equipment to deal with it.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

That's a gust front, it appears to be rolling because warmer air is being forced up over the cooler air. Not much vertical development, so it wasn't going to get severe. Still a cool cloud formation though.

I've been a private pilot for 15 years and have 1800 hours, I've seen clouds like this before, just not that long and straight. I'm no meteorologist, but almost half of pilot training is weather, very important for a pilot to know which clouds present different flight conditions.

I may be wrong, but if I was on a game show I'd trust my answer.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
reply to post by Eurisko2012

That's a gust front, it appears to be rolling because warmer air is being forced up over the cooler air. Not much vertical development, so it wasn't going to get severe. Still a cool cloud formation though.

I've been a private pilot for 15 years and have 1800 hours, I've seen clouds like this before, just not that long and straight. I'm no meteorologist, but almost half of pilot training is weather, very important for a pilot to know which clouds present different flight conditions.

I may be wrong, but if I was on a game show I'd trust my answer.

It was so bizarre that they posted the video on YouTube.

I would fly around this cloud formation if i were you.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
there is absolutely nothing strange about the current weather. here in australia...we are having one of our wettest and coolest summers ever. its nothing to do with haarp...aliens...oogga booga men or anything else.

its all due to the la nina/el nino event. its happened for millions and millions of years. last summer we had a la nina....the only thing unusual is that we have had back to back la nina's which is rare. you can bet your house on us here in australia going back to the el nino effect next year and probably going into a long stretch of drought.

all of you who are looking for answers should google this weather pattern and do some research.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
there is absolutely nothing strange about the current weather. here in australia...we are having one of our wettest and coolest summers ever. its nothing to do with haarp...aliens...oogga booga men or anything else.

its all due to the la nina/el nino event. its happened for millions and millions of years. last summer we had a la nina....the only thing unusual is that we have had back to back la nina's which is rare. you can bet your house on us here in australia going back to the el nino effect next year and probably going into a long stretch of drought.

all of you who are looking for answers should google this weather pattern and do some research.

It's a different story up here in the United States.

It's February and we have not seen a snow storm all winter.

Sounds good but bizarre.

The jet stream is staying to the north. I hope it stays up there.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'm in the Denver metro area and this has been a pretty normal year for us so far. We have had snow on and off down here since October. I have the dates of snow as (with one or two days around there as well-snowing overnight etc):
10-26-11, 10-31-11, 11-4-11, 11-7-11, 12-1-11, 12-14-11, 12-19-11, 12-22-11, 1-7-12, 1-11-12, 1-24-12, 2-2-12 and
2-7-12.

So overall I would say we are in the normal range. It reminds me of when I was growing up because I always remembered having more snow than we have had the last few years. The last few years have been drier here.

It does make me nervous for the rest of the country though...

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by bellagirl

It's a different story up here in the United States.

It's February and we have not seen a snow storm all winter.

Sounds good but bizarre.

The jet stream is staying to the north. I hope it stays up there.

i understand what your saying....but it really is normal. because we are on different sides of the pacific, it actually effects both of us at the same time. when you are having your harsh winters with lots of snow, we are having drought and high temps in summer. one of the reasons for your lack of snowfall is also that the trade winds and warm currents are flowing west across the pacific due too la nina...hence our high rainfall. in el nino, the flow east and we have drought and high temps while you get hammered with snow.

top topics

join