It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri teen girl gets 'life' for killing 9yr girl to 'find out what it felt like'...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Everyone that's condemming this girl in this thread, I believe is doing so out of sheer fear of the unknown element in this girls behavior.

Yes, she has traits of a psychopath, and she also killed for the "rush" as it were. That said, i read on another site that she was abandoned by her drug-addled mother, doesn't know who her father is and received a lot of abuse growing up.

This girl wasn't born a psychopath, she was made one by the situation that was presented to her in life.

Good news for her, as there have been a couple of extremely promising studies on using neurofeedback to treat these disorders showing efficency in 80% - 90% of individuals with Anti-Social Personality Disorder ( The spectrum that sociopaths/psychopaths fall into ).

It's too bad that our system isn't focused on helping people and instead we're going to incarcerate her in a population that will enable her bad behavior further, when she could be a great research subject for neurofeedback and possibly have a complete emotional turn-around in her life with therapy.

Because instead of 1 life being lost due to these tragic events, this planet is losing 2.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I think it is worth noting that she was on antidepressants while she did it. Antidepressants are known to numb up your emotional side, so it can very well be that she just was not able to feel anything anymore, which prompted her to do this.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by varikonniemi

Anti depressants numb you but not to the point of being a psychopath....also anti depressants target a specific chemical that deals with mostly happiness and sleep.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I bet if the killer was a 15 year old boy you all would be screaming for him to die. In truth most people in this topic just proved male life is expendable, unwanted and unloved.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

Trolling or just sexist?

Male or female, it doesn't matter to me. A person that experiences traumatic, abusive, and emotional neglect as a child, is a person who feels deep emotional pain - and without treatment it becomes the only feelings they will experience throughout their life. After enough time has passed their pain can shift into anger, fear, frustration, paranoia, etc.

Never happiness, joy or love though.
edit on 9-2-2012 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa
reply to post by Alyssa

Trolling or just sexist?

Male or female, it doesn't matter to me. A person that experiences traumatic, abusive, and emotional neglect as a child, is a person who feels deep emotional pain - and without treatment it becomes the only feelings they will experience throughout their life. After enough time has passed their pain can shift into anger, fear, frustration, paranoia, etc.

Never happiness, joy or love though.

So I'm a sexist because I notice the lack of love young males receive in society?

Wake up call, PEOPLE SUFFER EVERYDAY and never kill. What's wrong with society is the fact we defend every bad choice women make. Casey Anthony should have got the death penalty but thanks to a country like Feminist-America she got away with murder.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
We should get rid of our prison system as is..make them do extremely hard labor everyday..sun up to sun down. Constant work..constant work. No air conditioning, no comfy prison beds, no tv, nothing. This laying around prison is for the birds. Serve them dog food and make them sleep on the floor...

Best alternative to prison is to sentence the fate of the suspect, after trial, to be left in the hands of the victim (or victim family). If they are merciful then so be it, if they seek vengence then it is due. This is the ultimate and just deterrance to any crime or morally wrong action. Prison system is garbage.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

A central Missouri teenager who confessed to strangling, cutting and stabbing a 9-year-old girl because she wanted to know how it felt to kill someone was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
y.news

"I strangled them and slit their throat and stabbed them now they're dead," Bustamante wrote in her diary, which was read in court by a handwriting expert. "I don't know how to feel atm. It was ahmazing. As soon as you get over the 'ohmygawd I can't do this' feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now.

The prosecutor asked for a longer sentence stating premeditation, the defendant for a shorter sentence sighting the 'killer' had been horribly depressed, was taking the antidepressant Prozac and blamed the violence on the drug. Also, the girl had suffered from acute depression and tried to commit suicide before she went on her killing outing.

The prosecutor noted Bustamante - who killed the 9 year old when she was 15 years old had dug two graves before the killing and 'lured' the victim 'out to play'.

I don't know what to say - Big Pharma responsible for another killing?
The parents?
Society?
Or at 15, was Bustamante just a cold blooded psycho?

Life. Life in prison when her life hasn't even started because she took a life.

Wow - it's just unfathomable all the way around.

peace
edit on 8-2-2012 by silo13 because: spelling original from girls diary

Wouldn't she be better off in a psychiatric hospital? She is obviously a psychopath.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Alyssa

Ah, i misread what you wrote, my apologizes. I still find your lack of empathy for these conditions, and the proposed solution to "kill 'em" (as you stated with Casey Anthoy) to be quite disturbing. Please don't let your fear of this type of behavior lead you into irrational decisions, and I implore you to have an open-mind on this subject and try to understand what causes this type of behavior in humanity because "kill 'em all" isn't a solution and ultimately you've just become an advocate for the behavior that you are against.

Perhaps you're unaware of the science and statics behind the disorder this girl has. Psychopath/Sociopath is not an actual clinical diagnosis, but are sub-types of Anti-Social Personality Disorder. ( AsPD ) This disorder is found in about 1 in 25 people in America, and while not all of them are "cold-blooded killers" they do cause a lot of turmoil and pain on society and the people who interact with them on a daily basis. The most common cause of this disorder is CHILDHOOD ABUSE.

Go read the diary of the columbine killers, and try to do it without the knowledge that they were mass-murders. I forget the one guy's name, but his diary was heart-breaking. He was constantly talking about how he felt worthless, transparent, "like a ghost to the world", due to all of the bullying he had suffered from his peers. Likewise with the Virgina Tech shooter. In fact, in every school shooting within the United States, the only thing that all of the killers have had in common is that they were all teased and bullied by their peers. They suffered emotional trauma, and this girl is no different. If anything the trauma that she's suffered is worse due to the fact that she never developed the ability to love because of the neglectful nature of her parents.

I'm also not saying to forget what she has done, but to look at the situation from all sides before bestowing judgement upon her.

"Oh but these people aren't treatable, and she'll just kill again, and again and again, if she's left to go free".

That's not true, and as i stated in a previous post in this thread. A form of therapy - neurofeedback - is gaining a lot of support from psychologists because of how efficient it is at treating sever behavioral disorders.

The traditional methods of therapy ( drugs and psychotherapy/talk-therapy ) have about a 5% success at treating AsPD, and most people in the industry consider them to be untreatable.

Neurofeedback has an 80% - 90% success in treating these conditions. If you're of the science mind, then the link below is to an abstract on a study published a couple of years ago, and is exactly where the above figure comes from.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Here's an article written on the study

www.bmedreport.com...

The researchers reported that 12 of 13 subjects who completed treatment experienced remarkable improvements on measures of behavioral impulsivity (reductions in visual and auditory TOVA commission errors) and on all but one of the MMPI clinical scales, such as psychopathic deviancy, depression, psychasthenia (anxiety), and paranoia.

12/13 = 92% of the subjects significantly benefited from neurofeedback.

A 2-year follow up revealed that the 12 who benefited from treatment continued to do so...

This was a therapy that took 3 months for the subjects to complete, and their results were maintained even after 2 years without therapy. So in this girls case, if she received treatment, she could be a completely different person ( emotionally, and behaviorally ) by the time she's 19. The could be said for any violent offender, male or female, that's alive today. We have the tools to help, and fix these issues without destroying more lives in the process, and I see no reason that we ( as a society ) should not be actively trying to help these troubled individuals and integrating them back into society as non-dangerous, well-adjusted, and fully functioning individuals.

Who knows, if this girl was treated, maybe she could go on to be a Dr and someday save your life, or come up with the cure for cancer.

No one asks to be born into the kind of *snip* that girl had to deal with as a child.

Edit: I should also note that AsPD is one of many conditions that fall into the DSM's Axis 2 diagnosis. The overall statistics of Axis 2 disorders in the population is 1 out of 10 people.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

I don't know what to say - Big Pharma responsible for another killing?
The parents?
Society?
Or at 15, was Bustamante just a cold blooded psycho?

Silo, we'll probably be set on different sides here, but I'm going with "cold blooded psycho". "Big Pharma" can't sell what people refuse to buy. Parents can raise kids, but at some point those kids are going to go their own way. This girl went The Way of the Psycho. While it's true that our society does seem to be producing more psychotics these days, the ultimate responsibility for an individual's actions reside with that individual. At 15, she was certainly old enough to know right from wrong on at least a grossly large scale, which killing "for fun" certainly falls on to.

I'm sure that pharma, parenting, and society bear some part in this to one degree or another, but ultimate responsibility lies squarely on her shoulders for this "thrill kill".

Life. Life in prison when her life hasn't even started because she took a life.

Wow - it's just unfathomable all the way around.

peace

Thrill killing has always been unfathomable to me. I see no reason for a life sentence for it, though - unless that life is considerably truncated by execution. There's no reason that a soul so dead that it commits a murder just to "see what it feels like" need be kept up on the public dime for years and years.

Just end it. That's something she could understand. After all, she's been in the executioner's shoes.

edit on 2012/2/9 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Life in Prison for a 15 year old?

There is nothing "just" about this. Nothing can bring the little 9 year old back to life.

If the jury doesn't think the 15 year old can be salvaged, then she needs to be put down like a rabid animal. If she can be saved, then she needs to get intense therapy and not spend her life in jail.

Personally, I'd vote for putting her down. Soon.

"Personally, I'd vote for putting her down. Soon." I'm surprised as a MODERATOR you get to put comments like this in a thread. Aren't you supposed to be on a fence somewhere?

edit on 9-2-2012 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

The OP doesn't link this article, which is the one I read prior to seeing the story posted here on ATS, and while I haven't read yahoo's article, this one mentions a bit about her childhood.

gawker.com...

Bustamante's lawyers argued for leniency, pointing out that the girl was born to teen drug addicts who abandoned her. (Her father went to jail; her mother turned over legal custody to Alyssa's grandparents.) She attempted suicide at 13

Read that and then read my other posts in this thread.

(Looks like i had her past semi-wrong in a previous post - regarding her father - but the points still stand)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You do know we ARE animals though, right ?

lolol

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Being a phyciatric nurse i can tell you from experience Prozac can make a person very mean and very manic. Murder seems like a stretch to me but when your altering chemicals in the brain you can't rule out any behaviour in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

Being a phyciatric nurse i can tell you from experience Prozac can make a person very mean and very manic. Murder seems like a stretch to me but when your altering chemicals in the brain you can't rule out any behavior in my opinion.

Thank you for the info, but now I have to ask.

Who do you think is responsible here? I know it's a tough question and probably impossible to answer but I'd still like to see what you have to say.

Thanks again - peace

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It is sad that this young lady was sentenced to life,
More to this than a disturbed individual, and the drug company and her ,md need to be held accountable, i'm out of time but there is more if you look into this

Bustamante's use of the antidepressant Prozac had made her more prone to violence.

But why do I hear people talking about benefits from these SSRI-AntiDepressants?", you might want to ask in this stage. "They surely must work somehow don't they?" The answer is yes, they "work" somehow,

Akathisia can lead to suicidal, aggressive and/or homicidal thoughts and behaviours. When a doctor or psychiatrist is observing symptoms of mania and/or akathisia in a patient, SSRI-AntiDepressant use should be discontinued immediately!

The pharmaceutical companies are well informed regarding above mentioned conditions and the capacity of their antidepressant inducing these symptoms. Therefore it is strongly advised to medical professionals, physicians, to monitor a patient very closely after prescription of (SSRI) anti-depressant treatment.

Akathisia is a frequent and common adverse effect of treatment with antipsychotic (neuroleptic) drugs.

teen-girl-gets-life-for-killing-9-year-old

antidepressantsfacts
biopsychiatry
edit on 9/2/12 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: oops

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa
reply to post by nenothtu

The OP doesn't link this article, which is the one I read prior to seeing the story posted here on ATS, and while I haven't read yahoo's article, this one mentions a bit about her childhood.

gawker.com...

Bustamante's lawyers argued for leniency, pointing out that the girl was born to teen drug addicts who abandoned her. (Her father went to jail; her mother turned over legal custody to Alyssa's grandparents.) She attempted suicide at 13

Read that and then read my other posts in this thread.

(Looks like i had her past semi-wrong in a previous post - regarding her father - but the points still stand)

Boo hoo. I had a rough childhood, too - and a rough adulthood, for that matter. Can I just go out and kill folks as I please, and blame it on my upbringings? Sorry, that doesn't make it OK, or absolve this budding young monster of guilt.

It's one thing to kill for cause, and quite another to kill "just to see what it feels like". It feels goddamned awful, regardless of reason. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in some serious need. "Ahmazing" and "enjoyable" are not proper descriptors.

There are some people in this world who are just junkyard dog mean. No rhyme or reason, they're just broken, always have been, and can't be glued. They need dropping like a bad habit. When a soul is that dead, there's no point in letting the body still walk amongst us.

edit on 2012/2/9 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf
reply to post by silo13

Big Pharma has nothing to do with premeditated murder

MEDICATED KILLERS 1

MEDICATED KILLERS 2

MEDICATED KILLERS 3

MEDICATED KILLERS 4

MEDICATED KILLERS 5

MEDICATED KILLERS 6

Ignorance denied!!

Interesting.

Apparently they can't even be drugged into docility.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Thank you!! I didn't even know it was my anniversary..lol

I would like to pose a question to the people who feel that this girls environment and upbringing are the root cause of her actions.

There are millions of children in this world that are underpriviledged, that were abused, neglected and bullied. There are children from other countries who have seen atrocities that most of us can't even fathom. Why aren't they all murderers? I mean if that is your argument, that she was programmed by her environement, why do so many other children not become murderers?

Sometimes people are just sick. They have mental problems that can't be blamed on their circumstances.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
She said 'i strangled them'. Who is them? It only mentioned about the 9 year old girl. Did she kill 2 people?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join